Sponsored

Too Many Windshield Replacements?

Maximum number of windshield repairs/replacements you have had in a year?

• Total voters

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
why don't you just get protection film ?
I called a couple of different auto window tinting companies about that. All of them said they used to install windshield protection film, but they had so many complaints of windshield wipers scratching it up that they quit selling it.
Sponsored

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
I called a couple of different auto window tinting companies about that. All of them said they used to install windshield protection film, but they had so many complaints of windshield wipers scratching it up that they quit selling it.
They do get scratched up over time, they should last a year or a year and a half with normal use. whats cheaper changing the film every year or a new windshield every time it chips or cracks ?

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How the hell are you going through windshields like candy?

I've put tens of thousands of miles on 4 separate Wranglers, of 3 separate generations, including 13,000 miles on my current JLU, with a rock quarry 1.8 miles from my house, and I've never one time had a windshield replaced. They put salt, cinders, sand, etc. on our roads in winter. I drive in bumper to bumper traffic daily. I have tires that stick out past my fenders. I've never had a windshield crack or chip on a Wrangler.

I understand why it’s not obvious. You need the combination of rocks on the road, semis to throw them up, and very cold temperatures that quickly turn chips into cracks.

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
why don't you just get protection film ?
I am willing to try protective measures. Any evidence that a protective film would work? I’ve heard otherwise.

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
I am willing to try protective measures. Any evidence that a protective film would work? I’ve heard otherwise.
https://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/fixing-roads-holding-culprits-accountable-important-pm/

We had some serious rain more than ever before this past winter, with crappy tarmac it all became hell, on the highway you literally get hailed by stones, i have a 2014 outlander mitsubishi that got the frontend and hood with deep paint chips , the lower areas look sandblasted, the windshield has some chips and a few small crack, my wrangler i can see small area on the film where the stone hit, i also have the whole car except the roof wrapped in ppf, the govrment released this just to show you how bad it is,
http://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/no-citations-for-broken-windscreens-moi/
Its getting cleaned and fixed right now so thats good.

Seems like it works i can show you a few pics once i get home if i remember too

Sponsored

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
https://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/fixing-roads-holding-culprits-accountable-important-pm/

We had some serious rain more than ever before this past winter, with crappy tarmac it all became hell, on the highway you literally get hailed by stones, i have a 2014 outlander mitsubishi that got the frontend and hood with deep paint chips , the lower areas look sandblasted, the windshield has some chips and a few small crack, my wrangler i can see small area on the film where the stone hit, i also have the whole car except the roof wrapped in ppf, the govrment released this just to show you how bad it is,
http://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/no-citations-for-broken-windscreens-moi/
Its getting cleaned and fixed right now so thats good.

Seems like it works i can show you a few pics once i get home if i remember too
Sorry your roads are in such bad shape. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks to everyone who participated in the poll and for the suggestions. At this point, we have had a number of windshields replaced on our two JLs. Safelite has been awesome, and insurance pays for it all. So, no big deal except every time there’s a claim it’s documented by the insurance company and reported to the world on the CLUE report. Therefore, it’s visible to any other insurance company if we were looking to switch. I’m sure one or two glass claims would be ok, but something like five per year? Also, I called my agent to ask if there is any penalty (higher premiums / getting dropped). They were shocked by the number of claims but could not determine if there was a limit that triggers a penalty. So, I still don’t really know if there are any consequences for this. At least from the poll I know I’m not the only one with multiple replacements.

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The banks will always find a way to profit from our misery.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You just jinxed yourself.
93.5% of people who responded to this poll so far have had fewer than 2 replacements, with the large majority having zero replacements, which matches my experience that the Wrangler windshields last just as long as the windshields on any other vehicle.

If mine cracked tomorrow, after three generations of Wranglers, that wouldn't be a jinx in my mind.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
By the time I got to 80K miles on my 2015 TRDP, I had replaced two windshields, and repaired a crack in a third.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anyone know how much the Gorilla glass version costs? And if you wait until your next windshield replacement (factory version is free or minimal deductible with the right insurance), is there an upgrade cost to get the Gorilla version or do you have to pay full price?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
10k miles and had to repair 2 chips/stars. Just got my 3rd. The bug deflector is apparently not any help.
I repair them myself so I'm not an a list with my insurance company. I'll save the insurance for when I get an unrepairable crack.
I don't think I've gottten a single chip in the last 5 years on other vehicles. This is a real pain so far.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
10k miles and had to repair 2 chips/stars. Just got my 3rd. The bug deflector is apparently not any help.
I repair them myself so I'm not an a list with my insurance company. I'll save the insurance for when I get an unrepairable crack.
I don't think I've gottten a single chip in the last 5 years on other vehicles. This is a real pain so far.
I know exactly what you mean. My other vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it, 14 years - zero cracks, zero windshield replacements and I'm less careful with it since it is much older. First crack on the Jeep just before getting to 2,000 miles, then another crack at 7,000 miles. Now, when ever I notice someone towing some type of machinery on a flatbed trailer or other construction related vehicle in front of me, I either move to the farthest lane away and speed up to get around them ASAP. Yeah, yeah, I have insurance with zero deductible for windshield replacements, but that zero deductible is only good for up to a certain amount before there is a consequence. I asked the insurance company if there would be an increase to my insurance rates as a result, they said yes, if I go over $500 a year. So that only gives me 1 new windshield per year.