Sponsored

Too Many Windshield Replacements?

Maximum number of windshield repairs/replacements you have had in a year?

• Total voters

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know about the endless number of threads on windshield damage. My question is very specific: will insurance drop you or raise your rates due to many windshield damage claims? We have two JLs and on our fourth windshield replacement in three months. Any experience you have to report would be greatly appreciated. How many windshields have you needed to replace?
Sponsored

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
4 windshields in 3 months?

Is that from just daily driving or what?

I think its time for you to lower the windshield and put a helmet on:whew:

SWIRVN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (ordered)
I’m in the business on the carrier side in Florida. Each state is different with respect (state statutes) to cancelations but can you lose a claims free discount which will make your rates go up... yes

Some companies will consider windshield (comprehensive) losses non chargeable but with a higher frequency of claims I can see a company canceling a customer for frequency of any type of loss if it’s allowable by the state statute unfortunately.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just replace them every 6 months or so. Some cracks you can just live with.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Get full glass coverage. Over the past 20 years I average 1.5 windshield replacements every 2 years on jeeps.

Sponsored

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What is the total cost on windshield replacement on these? I was lucky enough to dodge any replacements on my JK but the JL I already have a chip I am expecting to turn into a crack.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Maybe you all should be kissing the ass of the person in front of you when you drive LOL. I've yet to get a Chip on mine :) *knock on wood* with a 45 minute each way commute.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
FYI, there is now third party glass available. https://coachglass.com offers a JL windshield. I have it on mine and it is holding up so far. Had a stone hit the windshield and if it were the OEM glass I'm sure it would've cracked. Bounced off my new windshield.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you all should be kissing the ass of the person in front of you when you drive LOL. I've yet to get a Chip on mine :) *knock on wood* with a 45 minute each way commute.
My chip was from an unusually low hanging branch that was covered in ice I smacked at night going about 25mph. You’re due though lol.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Two star chips so far in 6 months. Both were on the freeway. Out of 50 hours of freeway driving, two chips. Called my insurance for the first one. Fixed it myself on the 2nd one. I did a better job anyway.
I installed a bugflector so hopefully that will cut down on these.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What is the total cost on windshield replacement on these? I was lucky enough to dodge any replacements on my JK but the JL I already have a chip I am expecting to turn into a crack.
Expensive enough that you’re going to want your other than collision deductible set pretty damn low.

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
... will insurance drop you or raise your rates due to many windshield damage claims?
I have eSurance (Allstate) in California and windshield replacement has come under "comprehensive" coverage. My first windshield replacement happened after my FIRST offroad trip on a rock road in the Sonoran Desert within the first 500 miles of owning my Jeep. I had a $500 comprehensive deductible and the replacement cost was $520.

After speaking to eSurance, I lowered my comprehensive deductible to $50. Since then, I had 2 more cracked windshield replacements. Also, a freak gust of wind at Burning Man drove a large tarp into a Thule roof-mounted bike carrier, destroying the carrier and bouncing the bike off of the back of my freedom top. eSurance replaced my rear freedom top segment and filed claim against Thule for me (I had pictures prior to the accident that showed the bike was properly mounted).

So let's add this up: $20 + $470 + $470 + $2200 = $3,160 worth of comprehensive claims with eSurance in the first 6 months of owning my Jeep. They have not cancelled me and have not raised my rates. Also, they claim that they do not raise rates due to comprehensive claims.

I don't work for them and they don't pay me but for real - eSurance for the win on that.

Anyone have the Mopar Gorilla Glass? Next replacement, I'm going to have this installed instead of the regular Mopar glass.

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You probably won’t, because it doesn’t exist yet for the JL. Sorry.
Oh so very saddening. :(

@Sorbs : Where did you get your coach glass for the JL? I couldn't find reference to it on their website.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Oh so very saddening. :(

@Sorbs : Where did you get your coach glass for the JL? I couldn't find reference to it on their website.
My installer put it in last week. It’s available and $100 cheaper since it doesn’t have the Easter eggs. If you’re working with an installer they shouldn’t have a problem getting it for you.
Sponsored