YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a used 2018 JLU Sahara a couple weeks ago and it looks like the previous owner did not do a 5 tire rotation. It’s got 14k miles on it already. Am I too late to swap that 5th tire into rotation?
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Of course not. You may be behind a bit but it can’t hurt unless the tires are badly worn.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Same boat here. Clown dealership can't count to five I guess. I plan on keeping what was the low mileage spare on the front left and front right through the next 2 or 3 rotations. Wear should even out by then.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Just measure the tread depth on all 5. From Google:

You can only have about a 3/32 tread difference between tires on any AWD or 4×4. The reason is with the different tread depth the tires will rotate at different rates and put un-wanted stress on the AWD drive train that can cause damage to it.

Measure it, and watch it. It's not really that hard.

And if it's in the front it will wear faster...which is why we rotate tires to begin with...

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Of course not. You may be behind a bit but it can’t hurt unless the tires are badly worn.
Same boat here. Clown dealership can't count to five I guess. I plan on keeping what was the low mileage spare on the front left and front right through the next 2 or 3 rotations. Wear should even out by then.
Just measure the tread depth on all 5. From Google:

You can only have about a 3/32 tread difference between tires on any AWD or 4×4. The reason is with the different tread depth the tires will rotate at different rates and put un-wanted stress on the AWD drive train that can cause damage to it.

Measure it, and watch it. It's not really that hard.

And if it's in the front it will wear faster...which is why we rotate tires to begin with...
Thanks, guys. I went ahead and swapped it out for one of the front ones that was slightly more worn than the other and will just keep it on the front (swapped to other side of course) for the next 2 or so rotations.
Sponsored