Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
A couple of issues arose during the install of the Genesis JL Dual Battery Kit. First off, no matter how hard I tried and no matter what angle I pulled at, I could not get the factory battery tray to come out. It looked so easy in the video! I was super frustrated...

I did some digging in the engine compartment and wheel wells to figure out what exactly was causing my issue, and it turned out it was my coilovers! In order to get every last inch of travel out of the system that they could, EVO designed the bracket to occupy the little bit of space just in front of the auxiliary battery box. Apparently this space is what provides the wiggle room needed to get the factory tray out. I ended up having to cut my factory tray in half so that I could remove it. I probably could have just removed the fender and fender liner instead so I could drop the ESS battery box, but the tray was going in the trash anyway...

IMG-0244.jpg

So... did your keen observation skills catch issue number two? Take a little closer look...

IMG-0246.jpg

As I mentioned, EVO squeezed every last bit of travel that they could out of this kit. The coilover tower comes all the way up to the bottom of the battery tray support bracket (which is part of the body). I guess they took it up just a bit too high. I don't think there is any contact while the suspension is at rest, but due to the oblong shape of the shock eye, its radius effectively increases as the suspension cycles. I very carefully trimmed the bracket with my Dremel and found this:

IMG-0247.jpg

There was a pretty good chunk missing out of it, but I'm sure there's still plenty of meat left on the bone. I reached out to Andrew over at EVO again to give him a heads up about this, but my two emails with pictures documenting the problem went unanswered. I think he was deep into developing the Gladiator kits at this point in time. I also tried to get some feedback on the EVO coilover thread on a different forum, but ponytail was quick to jump on me and tell me I had somehow caused the damage myself by installing the Genesis kit... :lipssealed:

Hopefully this was addressed by EVO with a minor redesign at some point, but I'm not sure. Many people with this kit could have this damage and not even know it because you can't see it unless you remove your factory battery tray (or unless you remove your coilover for some reason). I think my trim job should prevent any future contact. I applied a little touch up paint, and carried on.

IMG-0250.jpg

Last edited:
OP
tonygiotta

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
With the rear bumper wrapped up and the dual battery installed, it was time to move on to the front bumper. I really didn't take a lot of pictures of the installation though. In fact, the only in progress picture I took was this one from back in post #58.

5966569D-709B-4464-88CB-3449607A85E3.jpeg

I mounted a pair of Baja Designs Squadron SAE fogs with amber lenses in the front bumper. It can get pretty foggy here in the CA Central Valley, so it was important to me to be able to use these lights on the highway as legit fog lights, and not just another set of off-road lights. I sourced some pigtails that adapted the factory fog light harness connectors to Deutsch connectors, and then crimped and assembled my own Deutsch connectors on the lights themselves. I also did some custom wiring on my winch for the in-cab controls. I linked my in-cab winch control thread earlier, but here are a few pictures of what I did:

Posi-Taps on the control wires inside the winch, just behind the controller socket:

89B77741-D85A-4D4E-A405-E93F40A2CCC4.jpeg

Control wire routed through the contactor housing:

2CCF3DE6-CBEF-4189-85BD-1CA1E74BAC99.jpeg

And out the back of the winch (and yes, this all eventually got wrapped in the same braided loom I've been using elsewhere in the build):

B0CA5251-BC65-4778-992A-90676C074DD6.jpeg

After test fitting my Warn Zeon 10-S on the Poison Spyder winch plate, I found that it fit, but that the tolerances were a little closer than I would have preferred. I was worried that the ends of the winch would rub a couple of spots on the plate when under load. I did a little clearancing, touched up the paint, and then bolted everything together. I decided to go with the extra thick version of the Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead and the Factor 55 FlatLink MultiMount for my closed loop winching solution. I think it turned out pretty nice...

663F1031-5422-4B33-9213-378B57E78F65.jpeg

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 G550 1.5” lift in 33” Ridge Grapplers
Great build! Now that your in a few years on these KM3s, what’s your mileage on them and your thought on them till now? Wet weather performance?

Thanks!

OP
tonygiotta

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Great build! Now that your in a few years on these KM3s, what’s your mileage on them and your thought on them till now? Wet weather performance?

Thanks!
Two years, 20,000 miles and I'm still happy with them. Sadly, we've been in such a drought out here in CA that I can't really give you a meaningful report on wet weather performance. Tread life is looking good, wear has been pretty minimal. I've gotten 40-50K out of my previous KM and KM2 sets with a 5 tire rotation and I'm expecting about the same out of these. I had some minor chunking after running the Rubicon, but nothing crazy.

That being said, I'm trying to keep an open mind in regards to my next set of tires. I know I want 37 x 12.5's next time I need shoes. I've always gotten BFG's, but maybe this time I'll try something different. Not because there's anything wrong with these tires, but just to see what else is out there I guess. Hopefully something a little more true to size as my lift is really begging for some larger tires...

Advertisement

Quadratec

Advertisement