Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@TBULL52; did the California top come with everything needed to install or do you have to reuse some of the OEM soft top parts like the tailgate bar?
Yes it came with everything that you need. My jeep came from factory with the hardtop and I did not have to buy anything else to install the Californiatop. The door surrounds, header bar and cargo bar are all included.
Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Any clue if the California top is making one for the 2 door?

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it came with everything that you need. My jeep came from factory with the hardtop and I did not have to buy anything else to install the Californiatop. The door surrounds, header bar and cargo bar are all included.
Awesome! Thank you for the help! I have the factory hardtop as well, so it’s a huge plus that everything is included.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That California top is HOT! Does anyone know if the owner has got his shit together or is it still a roll of the dice as to if you will actually receive a top?

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That California top is HOT! Does anyone know if the owner has got his shit together or is it still a roll of the dice as to if you will actually receive a top?
I have this top and agree with your "Hot" comment. I love mine, I have had it on for a month and its awesome. With that said, my top was one from the first limited production run. As soon as he shipped out those first units he was moving to a new facility. It took me about a month to get my top once I ordered but he was very open about the process and communicated with me through delivery and quickly answered the few questions that I had about install. I haven't had a need to talk with him since his move so I don't know if he is back up and running but if he is I would certainly recommend this top.

Sponsored

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have this top and agree with your "Hot" comment. I love mine, I have had it on for a month and its awesome. With that said, my top was one from the first limited production run. As soon as he shipped out those first units he was moving to a new facility. It took me about a month to get my top once I ordered but he was very open about the process and communicated with me through delivery and quickly answered the few questions that I had about install. I haven't had a need to talk with him since his move so I don't know if he is back up and running but if he is I would certainly recommend this top.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof Softtop 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof Softtop 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof Softtop 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof Softtop 3
Jeep Wrangler JL Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof Softtop 4

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
This guy has been moving shops since 2009.

I had one of his 2 door tops on my 2009 Jk and it was pretty cool. His current top for the JLU looks pretty slick.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pics. Can you take one where the seatbelt comes out of the tonneau? I see where it enters the jeep is hard plastic, is it the same on the tonneau cover?

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the pics. Can you take one where the seatbelt comes out of the tonneau? I see where it enters the jeep is hard plastic, is it the same on the tonneau cover?
In a few of the pics above you can see where tonneau cover wraps around the roll
Jeep Wrangler JL Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof 20200803_151520

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
In a few of the pics above you can see where tonneau cover wraps around the roll

Jeep Wrangler JL Tonneau, windjammer & soft top - fully closed and waterproof 20200803_151520
How freely does it travel? I've had these setups on my JKU and currently on my JLU and it interferes with the retraction of the seatbelt.

Sponsored

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How freely does it travel? I've had these setups on my JKU and currently on my JLU and it interferes with the retraction of the seatbelt.
There is no issue at all with the retraction. I just got back from a trip to the Outer Banks in NC where the backseat was used daily and we didn't have any problems. The only complaint that I have at all is that I received the top before there was a completed set of instructions. Tim the owner of California Tops sent a few pics and some brief instructions via email but it took me some time figuring things out. Now that I now how things go, taking it off and putting back on is very easy but my initial install took me about 3 hours by myself mostly figuring out how the hardware gets installed. I have never had a soft top so it was all new to me, my guess is that if you have had a softtop in the past the initial install would be easier.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There is no issue at all with the retraction. I just got back from a trip to the Outer Banks in NC where the backseat was used daily and we didn't have any problems. The only complaint that I have at all is that I received the top before there was a completed set of instructions. Tim the owner of California Tops sent a few pics and some brief instructions via email but it took me some time figuring things out. Now that I now how things go, taking it off and putting back on is very easy but my initial install took me about 3 hours by myself mostly figuring out how the hardware gets installed. I have never had a soft top so it was all new to me, my guess is that if you have had a softtop in the past the initial install would be easier.
Same thing with the Suntop that I purchased. Came from Italy with limited instructions. Hey, thanks for all the info on this top, I think you might have sold me.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is that rear window removable? I'm interested in the fastback/cargo combo but that rear window seems... difficult. How water proof is it with the seatbelts?

Thanks

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that rear window removable? I'm interested in the fastback/cargo combo but that rear window seems... difficult. How water proof is it with the seatbelts?

Thanks
I have not had any water in the main area of my jeep. I have had a few drops in the cargo area. I don't park in a garage and the jeep has been through a few pretty good rain storms. Currently this hurricane is coming down hard here in MD. This will be the ultimate test, I will check out the inside of my jeep when the rain starts to let up but I am not anticipating anything. The rear window is removable. You loosen up two bolts and some velcro and you are ready to go. The side corner pieces are just as easy to remove. I can take the entire ensemble off in 10 minutes, it takes about 2 minutes to take just the soft top piece off and have open air over the front and back seats. I have no reason to take the back window and tonneau cover off so I leave them on. Putting just the soft top back on takes 2 minutes with help and 5 minutes by myself.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for the info, does the top fold or roll up at all while still mounted?
Sponsored