Sponsored

Tommy Mica's back with another Willys Sport video.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I had a 2017 2dr. Willys in the past and now going to order a 2022 Willys Sport, only option is A/C and will price out at around $34,000 list price. Tommy is right and all his reasoning make sense to me, so I buy it. I will add a 2" Receiver Hitch and that will be it just to have for towing a small trailer, etc., if need be. It will probably never see mud, or rocks, just street cruising.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
With all due respect, I think you miss his very clear point. He's having fun around Moab with somewhat of a bone stock Willys Sport. He's not saying you shouldn't buy a Rubicon (he had a Rubi Glady recently, remember), he's saying a Willys Sport does the trick for about 95% of the situations.

That being said, $41K is still $8k more than what he paid. That's a shit load of money for most people. His point is: if you don't want to spend for a Rubicon costs, you can have a ton of fun with a Willys Sport.
I get his point, and it's a good one, but he's saying a lot more than that. You dont have to spend close to $60k to have a good time, and you dont have to spend $60k to get a Rubicon.

MudHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon (Bright White)
That is what I'm trying to point out, although you won't see a base rubicon on a dealer lot often, they can be ordered that way. In a direct comparison to Tommy's willys, a manual trans, cloth seat, no power anything Rubicon can be had for ~$5k more than he paid. With that you get front and rear dana 44's, lockers, 4.10 gears, sway bar disconnect, 4-1 transfer case, and high clearance fenders. Well worth the cost upgrade if you're in the market for a Jeep that you want to run challenging trails in. And, if you happen to care what others think, everyone who sees your Jeep will think $50-65k, because that's what rubicons go for.

His is a 2dr Willys too, which makes a difference. I paid $45 OTD for my 2dr Rubicon this year. Ordered it direct through a dealer. White, premium soft top, auto, AC, power locks/windows, 4:1 Rock-Trac, LED group, safety group. 7" screen. Window Storage bag. That's like an extra $85 a month over a mostly stripped Rubi if you finance and don't have garbage credit. The idea that $5k is going to break someone is, in most cases, silly. For someone who makes extra money as a Youtuber to spend the bare minimum on a Willys and then complain about things that, as you said, are immediately solved by any Rubicon, is silly.

Order direct, don't pay retail, don't add options you don't really want or need and you can have a Rubicon for a reasonable price.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I get his point, and it's a good one, but he's saying a lot more than that. You dont have to spend close to $60k to have a good time, and you dont have to spend $60k to get a Rubicon.
Well I don't know how it translates in US dollars, which is probably why I get his point. But in Canada, with taxes, you can't get anything under 62K$. And that's dry bone stock, don't even think about adding carpets, you fool.

Now, just try to order one in Canada: it's virtually impossible these days, espeacially with the chip shortage.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
It's not a work truck package to Denali package change, Willys to Rubicon is just about going from a 40 piece toolbox to a 75 piece. It's also FCA so we're talking Kobalt tools and not Snap-On at that lol.

Sponsored

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
Tommy is a nice guy. We met him out on Ophir Pass & Last Dollar Road this summer. He is full of positive energy. I enjoy his sincerity on how little is required to enjoy a capable jeep and explore many of the trails. He did not chastise me for having an over optioned Rubicon.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It's not a work truck package to Denali package change, Willys to Rubicon is just about going from a 40 piece toolbox to a 75 piece. It's also FCA so we're talking Kobalt tools and not Snap-On at that lol.
When your 40 piece is sae and you really need that 10mm, sure you can maybe get by with an adjustable wrench…if it fits in the space. Better to have and not need than need and not have is how I look at it. Tools, recovery gear, lockers, etc are always in/on the Jeep if I need them, but ultimately I’d rather not use any of it. I’ll run a trail in 2wd until I can’t. Then it’s 4hi until it gets too technical. If I can’t clear an obstacle in 4LO open, I’ll try the rear locker. Still can’t make it? Both lockers. Only if all that fails will I resort to traction boards, stacking rocks, etc. If none of that works, then I’ll pull cable. In thousands of trail miles from big bear to CO to Moab, I’ve only used the front locker ~6 times and pulled cable once. It’s peace of mind but I prefer driving/using skill over dragging my rig through the trails.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Tommy is a nice guy. We met him out on Ophir Pass & Last Dollar Road this summer. He is full of positive energy. I enjoy his sincerity on how little is required to enjoy a capable jeep and explore many of the trails. He did not chastise me for having an over optioned Rubicon.
He understands that choice is a beautiful thing. You worked hard for your money. No one should dictate how you spend it.

More power to all the owners of over optioned Rubicons. Rock on.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Now, just try to order one in Canada: it's virtually impossible these days, espeacially with the chip shortage.
I hear lots of Canadians essentially stating the same thing in regards to ordering any Dodge Challenger......and they’re assembled in Brampton.

I’m a member over on Challenger Talk and there’s been lots of discussions and complaining about ordering availability.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
His is a 2dr Willys too, which makes a difference. I paid $45 OTD for my 2dr Rubicon this year. Ordered it direct through a dealer. White, premium soft top, auto, AC, power locks/windows, 4:1 Rock-Trac, LED group, safety group. 7" screen. Window Storage bag. That's like an extra $85 a month over a mostly stripped Rubi if you finance and don't have garbage credit. The idea that $5k is going to break someone is, in most cases, silly. For someone who makes extra money as a Youtuber to spend the bare minimum on a Willys and then complain about things that, as you said, are immediately solved by any Rubicon, is silly.

Order direct, don't pay retail, don't add options you don't really want or need and you can have a Rubicon for a reasonable price.
I get what you're saying, and it may make sense for some. But the real name of the game here is debt. Owe $33k or owe $41, whatever the numbers are. It all has to be paid back. Then there are taxes on that difference as well as insurance. It adds up.

I think differently than I did 10-15 years ago. I care more about the total of what I have to pay back than how much a month I have to pay. For those of you who haven't bought a house, land or a condo, the key to being able to qualify for a loan is debt to income ratio. It's heartbreaking to have to sell a vehicle you like because the amount of debt it creates is too high. I've seen it happen to many guys over the years. One day driving a nice truck, Jeep, etc, the next day driving a beater so they could qualify. Oh, their wife still got to keep her nice car, because of the kids you know.

Anyway, everyone has different prioritires. Some have an M3 and live in a section 8 shithole. Others have a new Custom Super Duty and live in a trailer with holes in the floor. But we all gotta look good a Saturday night!

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For someone who makes extra money as a Youtuber
I don’t get the impression that Tommy makes stereotypical YouTuber money you hear about in the media buzz. TFL is a decently sized media company, and I think they have quite a few more employees than we see on camera. The TFL properties are also owned by Road Chaser Inc. I don’t know much about that, but I get the impression the Tommy is an employee who gets his personal checks from Road Chaser.

Tommy certainly seems to be working his way up the company totem pole, but he might also have student loans, he’s likely saving for his first home given his age (no small feat in the Denver area) and it seems like he wanted to pay cash for his first brand new personal vehicle. I’m not saying he’s broke, but I don’t think he’s bringing in the YouTube money you see discussed in Forbes.

Last edited:

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I spent $50k on my '22 JLUR because otherwise my wife would have made me save more money for paint or Christmas decorations or some other silly thing that I would hate. hahah So in my case, I NEEDED to spend $50k on my Jeep.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Anyway, everyone has different prioritires. Some have an M3 and live in a section 8 shithole. Others have a new Custom Super Duty and live in a trailer with holes in the floor. But we all gotta look good a Saturday night!
Ugh, that drove me crazy when I would drive through areas of Milwaukee. You see the project housing with an $80k Escalade with 22" spinners. Tax dollars and drug money at work. It wasn't hillbilly enough to see the F250 lifted 60" where I lived. hah
Sponsored