Sponsored

Tommy Mica's back with another Willys Sport video.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
His point isn't clear when he says things like "you don't have to spend 50,60, or even 70 grand on a Jeep to run even moderately difficult trails". Inflating the price difference in order to argue your budget option is misleading at best and down right dishonest if it's intentional. If you don't mind the terrible gearing, by all means get the Willy's. You probably shouldn't complain about it in every video though?
He doesn't inflate or mislead that much because once you check a couple of boxes in the configurator, with taxes...that's right in that ballpark. And everybody knows most consumers (not the crazy ones you can find on this forum) check a lot of options.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
He doesn't inflate or mislead that much because once you check a couple of boxes in the configurator, with taxes...that's right in that ballpark. And everybody knows most consumers (not the crazy ones you can find on this forum) check a lot of options.
The same happens with a Willys, or a sport, or any new vehicle though? If he's trying to argue you can run Fins & things or Hell's Revenge for less, he could have bought a Subaru legacy for $22k as both of those trails are easy.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
No matter what, when a thread like this is made the result is the same. Justification arguments.

As for me, I could have bought a Rubicon, loaded of I wanted. After I thought about it for awhile, it made little sense for where I live and how I use it. I’m more than satisfied with my Willys 2 door.

This video was well done and makes a lot of good points. Jeeps are not cheap, new or used. Many people out there want one but all they see are $50k+ Rubicons on the dealer lots. There are a lot of curious people out there who aren’t automotive savvy. A thread/video like this lets those people know that you can get into a new Jeep for less than $35k out the door.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wranglers in general, and Rubicons in particular, have become status symbols in parking lots across North America.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This video was well done and makes a lot of good points. Jeeps are not cheap, new or used. Many people out there want one but all they see are $50k+ Rubicons on the dealer lots. There are a lot of curious people out there who aren’t automotive savvy. A thread/video like this lets those people know that you can get into a new Jeep for less than $35k out the door.
And for anyone who wants to start to off-road as a hobby.

Most Youtube channels out there would have us believe that we cannot venture very far off road unless we have $100,000 to spend.

Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
And for anyone who wants to start to off-road as a hobby.

Most Youtube channels out there would have us believe that we cannot venture very far off road unless we have $100,000 to spend.
True. Most videos should say “Do you want to spend $100k to make it a cakewalk?” I would rather gain technical experience and master it myself.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I would like to have some of the features that come on a Rubicon but I also do not want things like power window and locks, remote entry and big infotainment screens. To get some features you are forced to pay for others. I would guess that 95% or more of Rubicon owners will never use the lockers or sway bar disconnects and 50% of those that do use them because they can not because they need to.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I would like to have some of the features that come on a Rubicon but I also do not want things like power window and locks, remote entry and big infotainment screens. To get some features you are forced to pay for others. I would guess that 95% or more of Rubicon owners will never use the lockers or sway bar disconnects and 50% of those that do use them because they can not because they need to.
Coming from a base JK Sport to a JL Rubicon I absolutely love the proximity locks.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Personnally, I would've take the lockers if they were available on the Willys. But I gotta say that limited slip diff is doing one heck of a job in the mud, which is mainly what we get off-road in Quebec.

Since i'm also doing tons of long trips, I couldn't resist but check the adaptative cruise box. I must admit: it's the one I got that worked the best, even when compared to VW or Mazda.

I also got the LED lights because it's as dark as a bear's ass in the country, where I live, and they're far from a luxury feature.

Finally, I got the towing package and the AUX switches.

Do I feel the need to upgrade to a Rubicon? At this point, not at all. But with all the boxes I checked, i'm coming pretty close to a Rubi price.

That's the beauty of Jeep: you check the boxes you want and need instead of having to choose between two or three packages full of stuff you don't need. I absolutely love, love, love my spec.

Sponsored

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
The same happens with a Willys, or a sport, or any new vehicle though? If he's trying to argue you can run Fins & things or Hell's Revenge for less, he could have bought a Subaru legacy for $22k as both of those trails are easy.
Maybe he should have bought the vehicle that he wanted and was in-line with his priorities when he spent his own, hard-earned, money. Oh yea, he did. Folks should manage their own affairs and let others manage theirs.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Since I relocated from California to Washington State, my needs for a Jeep have evolved from a rock crawler to that for a trustworthy winter vehicle.

The combination of Selec-Trac, LSD, BLD and KO2s makes my Sahara unbeatable on snowy roads and mountain trails.

Kudos to Tommy for showing the benefits of a rear LSD: they have been obscured by lockers, and remained underrated in off-roading for a long time.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That is what I'm trying to point out, although you won't see a base rubicon on a dealer lot often, they can be ordered that way. In a direct comparison to Tommy's willys, a manual trans, cloth seat, no power anything Rubicon can be had for ~$5k more than he paid. With that you get front and rear dana 44's, lockers, 4.10 gears, sway bar disconnect, 4-1 transfer case, and high clearance fenders. Well worth the cost upgrade if you're in the market for a Jeep that you want to run challenging trails in. And, if you happen to care what others think, everyone who sees your Jeep will think $50-65k, because that's what rubicons go for.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
That is what I'm trying to point out, although you won't see a base rubicon on a dealer lot often, they can be ordered that way. In a direct comparison to Tommy's willys, a manual trans, cloth seat, no power anything Rubicon can be had for ~$5k more than he paid. With that you get front and rear dana 44's, lockers, 4.10 gears, sway bar disconnect, 4-1 transfer case, and high clearance fenders. Well worth the cost upgrade if you're in the market for a Jeep that you want to run challenging trails in. And, if you happen to care what others think, everyone who sees your Jeep will think $50-65k, because that's what rubicons go for.
Then again, it depends on so many factors: how you're paying for the Jeep, how you're willing to spend, what you need from the truck, etc.

I know Mica said recently he paid cash for the rig since he doesn't want to be bothered with monthly or weekly payments. So when you pay cash for your car, $5k-$10k is one hell of a bump. If, as he just demonstrated in this video, crawling around is more than enough for his off-road liking, I mean why not?

Now, does he want to keep some of his money, for example, for a house cash down? For another project? For upgrades to his Jeep? Keep in mind: he's a kid and he's just kicking things off with life. The fact he's already able to get himself a Jeep cash is pretty amazing to me.

Plus, he said about 5 times, in previous videos, that he got this rig because he cannot afford a Rubicon, which is what he would've pick if he had the money to buy it. So he kind of agrees with you already (I think we all do, actually).

As for your Subaru video. Well, what can I say? One of these cars holds its value like crazy, the other doesn't as much. Mica switches rigs every now and then to keep things fresh for the channel so he needs to turn a profit. This explains that in part, I guess.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
No matter what, when a thread like this is made the result is the same. Justification arguments.
Sad to admit here on a Jeep Forum, but I have never owned a 4WD vehicle other than a Subaru Brat LOL!! However I have been on the harshest single track trails as well as a bunch of "black diamond" 4wd trails on my motorcycles.

Time and time again I almost without fail see some huge expensive Jeep rock crawler with some kind of issue. Be it a broken suspension component, oil pan leak, etc. Off roading is no different with 4 wheel vs 2 wheel in regards to damage. More expensive the rig more expensive the damage.

My wife and I are considering a Rubicon 2 door. I'm not sure how I would spec it out. Only I know it has way more capability than what my skills are.

I have seen first hand what a measly Jeep Liberty is capable of with stock street tires in deep sand at Little Sahara Dunes Oklahoma. This is my best friend (RIP) on some hard pack where we could stop for a pose. disadvantage of this rig was you had to keep moving or get stuck. Goes to show you it's all about the driver. Man I miss my buddy so much!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Tommy Mica's back with another Willys Sport video. 94A56D34-5B2A-4B8D-A820-079FD4BE495B

For now my standard cab pickup with 3:73 gears and TruTrac is doing just fine.
Sponsored