Sponsored

Tommy Mica's back with another Willys Sport video.

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I really wanted to get a Willys, but the way I specced it out, for $2950 more I was able to get a Rubicon with all its goodies, the 8.4, and proximity locks. I probably won't use the lockers all the time, but better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
There is another great video out of a stone stock 2 door sport -open diff's and street tires - doing some fairly impressive rock crawling. Unfortunately, it was posted by the banned 'he who shall not be named' (AKA: Ponytail) and as such cannot be linked to. But it really shows how far you can push a base Wrangler with nothing more than airing down, disconnecting the sway bar and tossing on some used rock rails for protection.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
People like him and TR, LB are literally paid to suck others into their ideals and radicalize them to lash out at anyone who doesn't share the same...as is evident in this thread. Stop giving these people a platform and live your own life.

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
I'm all for living within your means, but if you can afford a $33k vehicle, you can save a little longer and afford a $38k vehicle. If that's not an option, you really can't afford a $33k vehicle to start with. In every video, and on every podcast, he's shouting from the roof tops that there's "no reason to spend the extra money on a Rubicon". And then in every instance I've seen, he complains about the gearing. That is the number 1 reason to spend the extra money. You'll quickly spend the difference regearing and swapping out the transfer case and still won't have lockers, push button sway bar disconnect, or stronger and wider front axle. I can't tell if he is just adamantly defending his purchase or simply doesn't realize that you don't have to spend $50k plus to get a Rubicon?
maybe he is demonstrating that you don’t need locking differentials, or even sway bar disconnect, or 33” tires, or Rubicon springs to do this trail.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
A few things here. I agree with people here saying a Rubicon does not have to be 60k, and this was somewhat an exaggeration from Tommy. Also yeah these trails arent difficult for a Jeep, but Tommy never says they were.

In terms of the LSD on the JL. Those of us who have used it offroad know it works. And it works surprisingly well, it really acts very close to a locker in certain situations. But it is NOT a locker. And in some situations it doesnt do shit. But yes it is waaay better than BLD alone. BLD alone is really crappy, too slow, and only works in short bursts.

Now the reality is that most people who own modified Rubicons and take them off road are taking these trails and doing nothing harder. There are a lot of folk on this forums who post pictures of their beautiful jeeps and their super fancy body armor and skids, and they dont have 1 scratch on their skids or armor; looks as shiny as their jeeps body. And if youve ever pushed your Jeep you know that those jeeps have not been run to even 10% of their capablitie. And thats Tommy's message. If all you wanna do is trails like this, a stock willys or even sport will do just fine. All jeeps are really capable, theyre all jeeps.

Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
That is what I'm trying to point out, although you won't see a base rubicon on a dealer lot often, they can be ordered that way. In a direct comparison to Tommy's willys, a manual trans, cloth seat, no power anything Rubicon can be had for ~$5k more than he paid. With that you get front and rear dana 44's, lockers, 4.10 gears, sway bar disconnect, 4-1 transfer case, and high clearance fenders. Well worth the cost upgrade if you're in the market for a Jeep that you want to run challenging trails in. And, if you happen to care what others think, everyone who sees your Jeep will think $50-65k, because that's what rubicons go for.
I wish you could, but you can’t order a no power anything Rubicon and the smallest screen is 7”. Now a days you can’t find any wrangler on a lot. I think what he is getting at is that the Willys will do any trail that 99% of people will go on with no problem if you are an OK driver. If you watch YouTube or read forums, most people there would have you believe that you can’t drive across the lawn without lockers a lift, disconnects, a winch and 37s. The extra 5k in upgrades while it is worth the money isn’t needed by most people is what I think the point is. Why spend the money if you don’t need to?

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
There is another great video out of a stone stock 2 door sport -open diff's and street tires - doing some fairly impressive rock crawling. Unfortunately, it was posted by the banned 'he who shall not be named' (AKA: Ponytail) and as such cannot be linked to. But it really shows how far you can push a base Wrangler with nothing more than airing down, disconnecting the sway bar and tossing on some used rock rails for protection.
Rather than be challenged and develop the driving/spotting skills to conquer an obstacle with what they have some people prefer to throw money at it to take the challenge away. An experienced skilled driver can probably take that stock Willys where the average person can not take a stock rubicon.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
No matter what, when a thread like this is made the result is the same. Justification arguments.

As for me, I could have bought a Rubicon, loaded of I wanted. After I thought about it for awhile, it made little sense for where I live and how I use it. I’m more than satisfied with my Willys 2 door.

This video was well done and makes a lot of good points. Jeeps are not cheap, new or used. Many people out there want one but all they see are $50k+ Rubicons on the dealer lots. There are a lot of curious people out there who aren’t automotive savvy. A thread/video like this lets those people know that you can get into a new Jeep for less than $35k out the door.
exactly right. All I saw were crazy expensive Wranglers on dealer lots. Since I have a wife and three kids, I couldn't really get another 2-door Wrangler so I got the Unlimited. Since I was concerned about kids horsing around in the car with windows and doors locks, I needed to get power windows and door locks so I can control them from the driver's seat at highway speeds. So I went with Willys Unlimited. I only added the towing package for the hitch, the aux buttons, and the HD alternator for Arizona summers! The rest all came with the quick select package for the Willys (23W) which gives you the v6 and the stickshift, adds LED's, and 7" infotainment screen. I stayed with the soft top as well and barely kept the price under $50K OTD! Yes, Jeeps are expensive but the dealer had 2018 Rubies listed for $54K on his lot!!!! smh.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a 2 door Sport S, with the Limited Slip Diff. I got it for those tracks that are difficult on the route into a hiking trip. As it turned out I joined my local Jeep Club. Most have lifts and big tyres. All are astonished to see what my little Jeep can do.

I love my Jeep!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Rather than be challenged and develop the driving/spotting skills to conquer an obstacle with what they have some people prefer to throw money at it to take the challenge away. An experienced skilled driver can probably take that stock Willys where the average person can not take a stock rubicon.
Today’s all about how much money we can flaunt in one single “click.” Talent and skill not required.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The limited slip in the willys is always "ON", the lockers in my Rubicon are only turned on when when I need them. One is a set of training wheels that you have no choice but to use on every obstacle, the other let's you developed your skill at picking lines and driving, and can be engaged to assist when you run out of talent or pick a bad line. Again, for the gearing alone, it is money will spent even if you don't off road it at all as even Tommy says the gearing is adequate in 4LO, but too tall in HI and/or on the street. Drive both with a manual and tell me that the 3.45's aren't crap, even Tommy won't while simultaneously fan boying how great the willys is. Sure you could save $3k by buying a comparably equipped willys and immediately having it regeared... but now that gap is so low you could work a couple weeks of overtime and end up with a whole bunch of upgrades.

Acf130

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I think Tommy’s video should come with a trigger warning to Rubicon owners (myself included), ha. I had a base 2d sport and it had issues. Bought the base for the price, and knowing I was going to modify it later on once I had more off-roading experience. Loved it for 4k miles but ultimately it was driving me insane. Dealer wasn’t helpful and I had just finished litigating another case so I did not have the appetite for another protracted legal ordeal. I was able to trade up into a 2d Rubicon. Way more than I needed but it simply seems like a higher quality vehicle, and I think it will hold its value better than the Sport. Not sure if the Sports have lower quality control during manufacturing? In anycase, I hope to really use the Rubicon and I love it. Now, I just need to find folks to ride with to learn the ropes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I think Tommy’s video should come with a trigger warning to Rubicon owners (myself included), ha.
From what I can read, indeed, it would be necessary. Even if the entire video is based on the fact he reckons and knows a Rubi's better all around. His simple and fair point is: you don't need to spend Rubi money to have fun on trails.

But hey, this is the Internet. People find ways to argue for months about the color of a stupid dress. Yet, everybody's right based on their own personnal experience.

BUT. They want YOU to say THEY are right. That's the whole experience, ain't it...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think Tommy’s video should come with a trigger warning to Rubicon owners (myself included), ha. I had a base 2d sport and it had issues. Bought the base for the price, and knowing I was going to modify it later on once I had more off-roading experience. Loved it for 4k miles but ultimately it was driving me insane. Dealer wasn’t helpful and I had just finished litigating another case so I did not have the appetite for another protracted legal ordeal. I was able to trade up into a 2d Rubicon. Way more than I needed but it simply seems like a higher quality vehicle, and I think it will hold its value better than the Sport. Not sure if the Sports have lower quality control during manufacturing? In anycase, I hope to really use the Rubicon and I love it. Now, I just need to find folks to ride with to learn the ropes.
There are as many Rubicon as there are Sport owners reporting problems with their Wranglers. Rubicons are not built with better quality; the underlying issue is that Jeep cannot build two Jeeps with consistent quality.

With regards to Rubicon holding their value better, that’s a myth. I have owned a string of Rubicons and Saharas over the years; they all hold their value extremely well.

In fact, the one and only Wrangler that depreciated like a rock was a 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon. The MSRP on that thing was $52,000, and eye-popping figure in those days, yet the assembly quality was simply atrocious.

If your Rubicon turned out good, be grateful and count your blessings.

Acf130

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
There are as many Rubicon as there are Sport owners reporting problems with their Wranglers. Rubicons are not built with better quality; the underlying issue is that Jeep cannot build two Jeeps with consistent quality.

With regards to Rubicon holding their value better, that’s a myth. I have owned a string of Rubicons and Saharas over the years; they all hold their value extremely well. In fact, the one and only Wrangler that depreciated like a rock was a 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon.

The MSRP on that thing was an eye-popping —in those days— $52,000, yet the assembly quality was simply atrocious.

If your Rubicon turned out good, be grateful and count your blessings.
Gotcha. Guess I’ve been lucky with round two then. So far so good.
Sponsored