Tommy From TFL Took His Willys Offroad

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I have a somewhat similar setup to Tommy's in that my Sahara has a 2.72:1 transfer case, a rear Trac-Lok limited slip, and no swaybar disconnect. Granted, I also have a Mopar lift and 35-inch tires.

Nevertheless, last weekend I went off-roading with some friends to a remote area in the Cariboo Region of British Columbia. On a 10-point scale, the level of difficulty was in the 6-8 range. The Wrangler handled it with flying colors. No ifs or buts; it simply got through everything I threw at it without issue.

At one point we climbed a steep 1.5-mile long, 20%-grade trail of loose rock to a mountain top, with 5 adults and 2 dogs on board. I engaged into 4L and kept a steady 3 MPH: the Jeep got to the top without complaint.

I am very happy with this thing.

You can faintly see the trail to the top of the mountain in the distance
Jeep Wrangler JL Tommy From TFL Took His Willys Offroad 97F450CE-1DC0-4B7E-A6A5-E931B06C6179
We did a similar climb out of Alders Gulch near Virginia City, MT: 28% grade, loose stones and a detour thru the woods around a fallen tree. I was in a JLUR on 4 Lo but didn't need the rear or front locker engaged.... so any Jeep is pretty impressive even without lockers. Climbing big ledges in Moab is really the only time the lockers came in handy because of the slickrock.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent way too long confused by this. "Okay I know ifs is independent front suspension, what the hell is buts? brake lock, no ..... back up traction, no..."

I think I need more time in the real world.
Big Ugly Truck Stuff

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basically the same here, it's amazing what it can do. The brake lock differential is surprisingly effective in situations where you lift a tire and would otherwise want lockers (although it's not a substitute).

Manually disconnecting the sway bar makes such a big difference, too! Just a bit annoying trying to get it back in line to reconnect. I carry a bottle jack to help get everything lined up again.
I've never had a problem locking my sway bar back up. It's kind of annoying that it automatically locks back above 15mph. So when you're driving in sand or gravel between obstacles, you have to practically stop to disconnect it again.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've never had a problem locking my sway bar back up. It's kind of annoying that it automatically locks back above 15mph. So when you're driving in sand or gravel between obstacles, you have to practically stop to disconnect it again.
He was talking about disconnecting —and reconnecting— manually.

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
He said sticker was nearly $33,000. He paid 31,800. The nearly $35,000 was with TTL, dealer etc...

Of course he did include one hell of a product placement ad of the dealership license plate as the default screen of the video, at the 26 to 33 second mark and at the 5:23 second to 5:32 mark
Hope he got a little better deal than his nearly 4.5% discount.......

Anybody else notice they used the same drone video at the 53 to 1:02 second mark and the 6:18 to 6:36 mark?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He said sticker was nearly $33,000. He paid 31,800. The nearly $35,000 was with TTL, dealer etc...

Of course he did include one hell of a product placement ad of the dealership license plate as the default screen of the video, at the 26 to 33 second mark and at the 5:23 second to 5:32 mark
Hope he got a little better deal than his nearly 4.5% discount.......

Anybody else notice they used the same drone video at the 53 to 1:02 second mark and the 6:18 to 6:36 mark?
Heck, I got 10% off mine and peeled the dealer sticker off as soon as I got home.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Climbing big ledges in Moab is really the only time the lockers came in handy because of the slickrock.
but slickrock is super sticky for rubber tires. pretty crap for metal shoes like horses and bicylists wear. I rarely use my lockers in Moab. I will engage them for steep climbs or descents because I have them but they're not needed very often.

I "need" my lockers much more in CO where the dirt and rocks are loose, often times in places that aren't nearly as bad as what you'd expect. I've gone up that trail Tommy starts in this video with my JL and my TJ. I don't recall using lockers in that position but if I was where he was at I would reach down and click in the rear locker on because I have it. Not because I think I need it to get up that part of the trail, but I'll often engage the locker to reduce/eliminate tire spin so I don't tear up the trail. Click it on to get up the hill, click it off so I get my maneuverability back. For me lockers aren't about pushing myself that much farther, it's about preserving the trail as best I can.

dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 WK2
Join Tread Lightly at the right level and you can get 1% under invoice even on special orders. Its nice starting point for negotiations.

Dave

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I thought it was interesting that he said he may not do 35's with the 3:45 gears. My jeep is pretty like his with some upgrades.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
What size tires do you have? Why not post a picture?
Sponsored