Sponsored

Toe in or out?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Quick question. I can’t find where it was posted if it ever was but is it toe in or toe out to the .4 that folks are adjusting to to help with the JL.

Installing tie rod, drag link and LCAs tomorrow and going to get an alignment to get me the 6 degrees of caster.
Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Toe-in..... 0.40" sounds a little excessive..
Would probably set it to 0.25" and see how it handles... Would probably experience some outer edge wear if you set it to 0.40" ( all solid axle vehicles will push the tires (- negative) when going straight ahead, hence the excessive (+ positive) toe-in recommended

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Toe-in..... 0.40" sounds a little excessive..
Would probably set it to 0.25" and see how it handles... Would probably experience some outer edge wear if you set it to 0.40" ( all solid axle vehicles will push the tires (- negative) when going straight ahead, hence the excessive (+ positive) toe-in recommended
Correct. 1/8”-1/4” is generally recommended, with 1/8” for stock tires, and up to 1/4” for larger tires.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question. I can’t find where it was posted if it ever was but is it toe in or toe out to the .4 that folks are adjusting to to help with the JL.

Installing tie rod, drag link and LCAs tomorrow and going to get an alignment to get me the 6 degrees of caster.
I’ve always done toe in 1/8”’to 1/4” . Steersmarts recommends toe out , .4-5 degrees out, when running their stuff. I’ve never tried it but the people that have say it works.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on .25

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The 0.4 is in degrees mentioned in the original post is in degrees.
The max I've seen recommended in inches is 0.2". But .25" is close enough
Just put mine to 3/16" and it's working well.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’ve always done toe in 1/8”’to 1/4” . Steersmarts recommends toe out , .4-5 degrees out, when running their stuff. I’ve never tried it but the people that have say it works.
I thought it was Synergy that recommends toe out. Totally counter-intuitive to everything that I know about steering and physics.

Sponsored

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
I've had both the Track Bar and Steering Damper installed.

My dealer showed me the (post-track bar installation) Set-To specifications for the total toe as being 0.20º +/- 0.15º for the Sport, Sahara and Rubicon.

The caster specs on the Sport are 5.35º +/- 1.00º and for the Sahara 5.05º +/- 1.00º. The caster for the Rubicon is 4.80º +/- 1.00º.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've had both the Track Bar and Steering Damper installed.

My dealer showed me the (post-track bar installation) Set-To specifications for the total toe as being 0.20º +/- 0.15º for the Sport, Sahara and Rubicon.

The caster specs on the Sport are 5.35º +/- 1.00º and for the Sahara 5.05º +/- 1.00º. The caster for the Rubicon is 4.80º +/- 1.00º.
From what I've read, same frt. LCA's on Sport, Shara and Rubicon. As the ride height goes up the caster decreases. Rubicon's seem to like more caster like 6*. Mopar lift kit LCA's are longer and improve castor angle somewhat but I installed adj. LCA's to 6*. Not the only reason I went aftermarket. I run 37's and liked Synergy's dogleg for added tire clearance.

Back on subject. SteerSmarts seems to recommend zero toe. I'm at 1/16" by tape measure and steering is as good as the steering box will allow IMO.
Sponsored