Sponsored

Today was the day - took possession of my new 4XE!! :)

OP
OP
seannaz

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JKUR 4XE, Cyber Truck (on order...)
Vehicle Showcase
Update #1: Day 1 complete driving my JKUR 4XE... So, as a reminder, I’m coming from a Tesla Model S (but previous Wrangler owner also) - just to set that as perspective.

First off, the battery was dead by the time I got it home from the dealership last night. Keep in mind I was screwing around in all electric for a while so not surprised. Now, I live in a condo, and we’re in the process of planning for level 2 charging (which this will take) but its not yet avail... So, I drove it down to a level 2 by a local Starbucks and then walked home to get ready to go into the office (I know - right!!!). By the time I came back to pick it up, it had maybe a 30% charge. I switched the drive control to “e-save”, turned on regenerative breaking (another switch by the window switches), and then found e-save Options in the uConnect. One is to preserve the battery - the other was to charge the battery. I chose the later... After about a 30 mile drive into work, at this point only running on the 2.0, i had gained maybe 3% of charge - which when you consider 100% of charge is 25 miles, isn’t alot... Fortunately there is a charge point charger at work, so plugged in and it promptly charged to 100% in less then 2 hours.

On the way home, I ran on hybrid mode, really good power - feels like in the parking lot its electric only until you give enough gas For the hybrid to kick in an engage the 2.0 - pretty smooth all things considering. Certainly has much better get up and go than my last 2015 Willys.

I’m super happy even though I’m getting used to the range, battery charging opportunities based on my situation (Which should get better). Its super cool to cruise around the parking lot, or whatever at slow speed in all electric - kinda real weird in a Jeep, not gonna lie.

I saw no less than 3 wrangler owners gawk when they realized they were seeing a 4XE. Gave the old wave and a smile as I went by. I expect this will become a bit more commonplace as deliveries happen, but as of now, mine was the first at this dealership that I bought from in Scottsdale AZ (Chapman).

Have some random bits and parts on order. Need a good phone mount - my air vent magnet one doesn’t work well with this setup. Have a wireless Airplay adapter on order - means I can use airplay without having to plugin. Also waiting on lift... More to come.

Day 1 recap is I’m still happy with the move I made. Need a charger in my stall - relying on other charging locations will be a real PITA given super limited range. Other than that - it a beautiful brand new Jeep, so who can complain about that!!!
Sponsored

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Update #1: Day 1 complete driving my JKUR 4XE... So, as a reminder, I’m coming from a Tesla Model S (but previous Wrangler owner also) - just to set that as perspective.

First off, the battery was dead by the time I got it home from the dealership last night. Keep in mind I was screwing around in all electric for a while so not surprised. Now, I live in a condo, and we’re in the process of planning for level 2 charging (which this will take) but its not yet avail... So, I drove it down to a level 2 by a local Starbucks and then walked home to get ready to go into the office (I know - right!!!). By the time I came back to pick it up, it had maybe a 30% charge. I switched the drive control to “e-save”, turned on regenerative breaking (another switch by the window switches), and then found e-save Options in the uConnect. One is to preserve the battery - the other was to charge the battery. I chose the later... After about a 30 mile drive into work, at this point only running on the 2.0, i had gained maybe 3% of charge - which when you consider 100% of charge is 25 miles, isn’t alot... Fortunately there is a charge point charger at work, so plugged in and it promptly charged to 100% in less then 2 hours.

On the way home, I ran on hybrid mode, really good power - feels like in the parking lot its electric only until you give enough gas For the hybrid to kick in an engage the 2.0 - pretty smooth all things considering. Certainly has much better get up and go than my last 2015 Willys.

I’m super happy even though I’m getting used to the range, battery charging opportunities based on my situation (Which should get better). Its super cool to cruise around the parking lot, or whatever at slow speed in all electric - kinda real weird in a Jeep, not gonna lie.

I saw no less than 3 wrangler owners gawk when they realized they were seeing a 4XE. Gave the old wave and a smile as I went by. I expect this will become a bit more commonplace as deliveries happen, but as of now, mine was the first at this dealership that I bought from in Scottsdale AZ (Chapman).

Have some random bits and parts on order. Need a good phone mount - my air vent magnet one doesn’t work well with this setup. Have a wireless Airplay adapter on order - means I can use airplay without having to plugin. Also waiting on lift... More to come.

Day 1 recap is I’m still happy with the move I made. Need a charger in my stall - relying on other charging locations will be a real PITA given super limited range. Other than that - it a beautiful brand new Jeep, so who can complain about that!!!
Link for the wireless airplay adapter?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

A new Jeep is always awesome. Must have a big smile walking towards it or away from it.

OP
OP
seannaz

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would buy an electric Wrangler, when you cannot charge it at home. Maybe the situation should have been thought out, prior to the purchase. But, as long as it makes you happy to have one, that's all that matters.
I'm just wondering how the all electric mode will work, during the 120 degree summers you will be having. Will the all electric modebe enough to handle the A/C, or will it be switched to dino power??

Sponsored

OP
OP
seannaz

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having a hard time understanding why you would buy an electric Wrangler, when you cannot charge it at home. Maybe the situation should have been thought out, prior to the purchase. But, as long as it makes you happy to have one, that's all that matters.
I'm just wondering how the all electric mode will work, during the 120 degree summers you will be having. Will the all electric modebe enough to handle the A/C, or will it be switched to dino power??
Lol, right. Here was my thought process...

As I mentioned, I previously had a Tesla. I’m about two minutes away from a supercharger so even though I didn’t have a charger at my condo I was always able to keep my Tesla fully charged with no problem. I was very interested in getting back into a Wrangler and when I found the 4XE it help me justify the switch given that electrification is important to me.

I think more than anything I’m betting on the come that I’ll get a level two charger installed at my condo within the next year or so. I have access to other level two chargers at work and again in close proximity to my condo. I’m not too worried about the all electric performance in the summer given that it’s a hybrid. As it is now, performance is great. If if I have to drive 2.0 only it’s not a problem. Oh, and I get $7,500 tax credit for buying a Wrangler 😜

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Lol, right. Here was my thought process...

As I mentioned, I previously had a Tesla. I’m about two minutes away from a supercharger so even though I didn’t have a charger at my condo I was always able to keep my Tesla fully charged with no problem. I was very interested in getting back into a Wrangler and when I found the 4XE it help me justify the switch given that electrification is important to me.

I think more than anything I’m betting on the come that I’ll get a level two charger installed at my condo within the next year or so. I have access to other level two chargers at work and again in close proximity to my condo. I’m not too worried about the all electric performance in the summer given that it’s a hybrid. As it is now, performance is great. If if I have to drive 2.0 only it’s not a problem. Oh, and I get $7,500 tax credit for buying a Wrangler 😜
What are the charging times, for the different level chargers, from 0% to 100 %?

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I’m not too worried about the all electric performance in the summer given that it’s a hybrid. As it is now, performance is great. If if I have to drive 2.0 only it’s not a problem. Oh, and I get $7,500 tax credit for buying a Wrangler 😜
Becuase the 4XE is a plug-in hybrid (not an electric vechile like the Tesla S1), plugging-in less of a worry. I think about the electric option as a bonus.

Leaving that aside: I'm curious to hear your experience off road. Electric engines have much better torque at lower RPM than internal combustion. For me, that's the big promise of the 4XE.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
What are the charging times, for the different level chargers, from 0% to 100 %?

I have had a 2021 Pacifica Hybrid since Jan and charge times are very similar I believe with 4xe.

On Level 1 charger (standard 15amp wall socket): About 12 hours 45 minutes from 1% to full charge.
On Level 2 charger: About 1 hour 45 minutes from 1% to full charge. It seems like it goes from 1% to 75% in about an hour then slows down the last 30-45 mins.

We do a lot of 15-30 mile round trip drives and since installing the Level 2 we are seeing 1500 miles between gas fillups and I think we can get 1700 miles+ on one tank of gas now since the batteries keep their charge better in the spring/summer.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Don’t people drive Tesla vehicles in Houston? They are everywhere in Austin. Perhaps you focus your attention to things around you. People are driving Toyota Prius cars in freezing Colorado too. Go figure.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Can it fully recharge the battery as you drive it with the gas engine?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
We do a lot of 15-30 mile round trip drives and since installing the Level 2 we are seeing 1500 miles between gas fillups and I think we can get 1700 miles+ on one tank of gas now since the batteries keep their charge better in the spring/summer.
Impressive.

Most of my trips are pretty short, just a dozen miles here and there most days. I'd probably rarely go through the battery on most weekdays even if it's only a 25-mile range.

I'm still gonna wait for the full electric (hopefully) 2-door, though.

But this is all very cool.

OP
OP
seannaz

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can it fully recharge the battery as you drive it with the gas engine?
In the eSave driving mode, there is an option in uConnect for batter preservation or battery charge. I ran in eSave with charge selected in uConnect, and with regenerative breaking switch turned on. Was gaining about 1% every 3-4min. So I don’t know - feels like it would take a good chunk of the tank of gas to get to full charge. Prob works better around city vs highway - time will tell.

OP
OP
seannaz

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Becuase the 4XE is a plug-in hybrid (not an electric vechile like the Tesla S1), plugging-in less of a worry. I think about the electric option as a bonus.

Leaving that aside: I'm curious to hear your experience off road. Electric engines have much better torque at lower RPM than internal combustion. For me, that's the big promise of the 4XE.
Will share when I get there... 👍

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
In the eSave driving mode, there is an option in uConnect for batter preservation or battery charge. I ran in eSave with charge selected in uConnect, and with regenerative breaking switch turned on. Was gaining about 1% every 3-4min. So I don’t know - feels like it would take a good chunk of the tank of gas to get to full charge. Prob works better around city vs highway - time will tell.
Interesting, I was thinking if you take a long trip on the highway as part of a daily commute could you recharge the battery.
Sponsored