Toasted lsd, open carrier an option?

KevCreation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey guys! Just got back from 4wheelparts to get my Jeep back ( regear job to 4.56 )

The tech told me my oil was burned, that my lsd was toasted and that I had massive left to right play in my spider gear...

I know a lot of you had axel swapped under warranty but with my fresh 4.56 gears and the fact that this lsd is shit I think I’m gonna simply swap a open carrier in and call it done.

I know some of you had done this and I’d like to know what I need to order for that job!
Sponsored

OP
OP
KevCreation

KevCreation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey guys! Just got back from 4wheelparts to get my Jeep back ( regear job to 4.56 )

The tech told me my oil was burned, that my lsd was toasted and that I had massive left to right play in my spider gear...

I know a lot of you had axel swapped under warranty but with my fresh 4.56 gears and the fact that this lsd is shit I think I’m gonna simply swap a open carrier in and call it done.

I know some of you had done this and I’d like to know what I need to order for that job!

Any one?

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You'll need to get the gears checked again. If you swap out the carrier the shims used to set the pinion depth that are there now may be wrong. Were you planning on doing this after the gears install or have them put a new carrier in.

Do you take it off road? If so, I'd put another limited slip carrier in. Something good. Still cheaper than going with lockers if you don't want to run the electronics or air lines.

You could always just fix your diff. New clutch packs and spider gears. Probably pretty cheap. I'm assuming the stock unit is rebuildable. Then you wouldn't need to re-check pinion depth since the carrier isn't changing.

Sponsored

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Kevin, I have had a Detroit locker in the rear and a Detroit trutrac in the front for over 20 years in my CJ. They are both mechanical lockers/ limitedslip diffs. I have NEVER had a problem with either.

OP
OP
KevCreation

KevCreation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi Kevin, I have had a Detroit locker in the rear and a Detroit trutrac in the front for over 20 years in my CJ. They are both mechanical lockers/ limitedslip diffs. I have NEVER had a problem with either.
they don’t make for jl yet...

OP
OP
KevCreation

KevCreation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You'll need to get the gears checked again. If you swap out the carrier the shims used to set the pinion depth that are there now may be wrong. Were you planning on doing this after the gears install or have them put a new carrier in.

Do you take it off road? If so, I'd put another limited slip carrier in. Something good. Still cheaper than going with lockers if you don't want to run the electronics or air lines.

You could always just fix your diff. New clutch packs and spider gears. Probably pretty cheap. I'm assuming the stock unit is rebuildable. Then you wouldn't need to re-check pinion depth since the carrier isn't changing.
There is no option for the jl besides the arb at top dollar

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
What about rebuilding the stock unit. Just put new a new clutch pack in. Also see if that gets the spider gear end play back in spec, otherwise get new spiders.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yukon gear makes a unit. https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=31724
It's even available through Amazon LOL!
https://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Trac-Lok-Limited-Differential-Spline/dp/B08C477LMK

You should double check with them to make sure that carrier is for your gears, but I'm sure they have one either way. They list them as Rubicon and non-Rubicon, that could mean 3.73 and (numericly) lower and 4.10 and up. The one I linked was non-rubicon. Eaton has them too, but they list smaller spline counts than the JL, a phone call or email might get you some good info.
Sponsored