Sponsored

Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Speaking from experience here... get an attorney if you want a buyback. FCA will drag things out for a very long time and then potentially deny the buyback.
Based on the little bit of cursory knowledge I've gained on Lemon law stuff with podcasts/ YT vids, I've learned 2 things about lemon law:

1). Laws vary state to state
2). Always consult an attorney with lemon law experience in your state before doing anything.

Good luck to you guys. I hate hearing stories like this. I know they're bound to happen with all vehicles, but it just sucks. On the bright side: at least we aren't having as many of these catastrophic engine failures as the poor Bronco owners. They're really having a rough go.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
On the bright side: at least we aren't having as many of these catastrophic engine failures as the poor Bronco owners. They're really having a rough go.
And they have to look at that thing every day, aaargh!

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
Sorry Hashem.

Im wondering if your overheating problem was related to what a BUNCH of folks here also reporting loose bolts on part of the 2.0T cooling hose, and associated leaks of coolant.

Keep us posted on your progress.
thatā€™s what they thought was the issue with mine and had it done and in my way in a few hours. But obviously other damage had occurred that they didnā€™t catch.

Gravy

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, over time I keep reading all these disaster stories with these Jeeps. Back of my mind I keep thinking go back to my Hemi Ram's. I do miss the cargo hauling when needed.

Man, these stories are worrisome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :swear::swear:

Noway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Ah, important detail whoops. Itā€™s a 2L turbo 4 cylinder.
I'm sorry what happened to you. At least your car's final resting place is in cottonwood which is a beautiful place. Now, 2.0 L is garbage. You have your deniers that are trying to convince anyone it's not true but the fact is 2.0L was the only engine in the history where the manufacturer would pay you to take it off their hands.
And no the car wont be lemoned. If they fix it there's nothing you can do unless they keep it for months.

Sponsored

Hazelwood7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JL Rubicon V6
The oil temps from the day you got the vehicle would go to 215 degrees. Wow, I am surprised the engine lasted so long. Sounds like you had a cooling problem from the start. That sucks. If they checked it at that time, maybe they would have fixed the cooling issue and the engine would not have overheated. Had you pulled it over before and had to let the engine cool down, or this is the first time you had to pull over? Did you get warnings in the past?
Sorry to hear and good luck with everything.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
A fine liner here.... GOOD LUCK!

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
A few months after buying it new, my 1995 YJ required warranty replacement of the short block due to piston slap (i.e., incorrect cylinder boring). It still had its new car smell.

When the same problem began to reoccur a little while later, I lost all faith in the vehicle. It was sold back to Jeep via a different dealer.

You have my empathy, Hashem. Best of luck with the resolution process. Document everything as you go along.
Interesting, I had a similar experience with a 94 YJ 4.0. The dealer gave me the choice of a new block or a lifetime warranty on the engine. I was told the slap was only an annoyance and shouldn't lead to failure. I took the warranty and enjoyed that my Jeep sounded like a Diesel. It was totally trouble free for the 100k miles I owned her.

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S (Sarge Green)
Sorry Hashem.

Im wondering if your overheating problem was related to what a BUNCH of folks here also reporting loose bolts on part of the 2.0T cooling hose, and associated leaks of coolant.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Yes the bolts. Thatā€™s is the exact problem that happened.

Sponsored

2021GeckoRubicon

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I bought my wrangler new in January 2022 and had a concern about overheating early on as the fan would come on without much effort, but I disregarded that because as soon as the fans came on the engine would cool down. At that time oil temps were maxing out around 215 before fans would cool things down.

This past weekend, I had a really terrible experience. I was driving up north on the I-17 from Phoenix, when I suddenly got a warning light for overheating. I immediately pulled over to the safest place I could find (really not safe at all) and put the car in neutral and let the engine And fans run which ultimately cools down the engine to normal temperatures.

Long story short I got stuck on the side of this busy highway til 1AM because no one was apparently available to tow me according to both my insurance company and Jeep Wave program. So I thankfully got a ride. Had to get to my work the same morning at 5:30 on Saturday (life of a resident). The car finally got towed the following Monday to Jeep Oxendale in Cottonwood (this all happened Friday night).

I was initially told by service crew that the rear diff was locked up which was the report they received from the tow driver. Based on that, I was told it would take minimum three months to complete a repair.

Two days layer, I received a call with great news that the issue was not at all the rear diff and the tow truck driver was nuts (which was my suspicion too). The repair was a simple radiator hose that needed to be replaced and it would be ready by Friday the same week.

Come Friday I call to check on my car and am told that they test ran the vehicle and the engine shut off and would not start again. The engine needs a complete swap.

I am beyond bummed out. This is my second wrangler. First one also had bizarre issues Including a faulty fuel tank that needed to be replaced and multiple other issues. Nonetheless I have Jeep another chance and picked up this wrangler which I absolutely adore and named Zaytuna (Arabic for olive). Hand washed it almost every weekend and took it off road in Sedona where it performed awesome and took me to beautiful places.

So I am very upset with the whole situation - I am out of a brand new car that I love and donā€™t have a vehicle for likely 3-6 months for this engine replacement. I am in contact with FCA and am expecting a call from someone on Monday or Tuesday (6/20-6/21) to go through more details and determine if they will buy back my vehicle.

I am apparently a masochist and still want to drive a 2-door wrangler, however have no interest in driving the piece of junk that was sold to me with an engine that failed at 9223 miles.

My question is: what experiences have people here had with FCA buy back program? I prefer not to involve an attorney but absolutely would if needed. Thanks for reading!

Note: Vehicle was bought at Chapman Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ. It is currently sitting at Oxendale Jeep in Cottonwood, AZ (great people there).

A939CDC3-3677-44C8-8C9E-893E5C6C6639.jpeg

6CE89836-C0A4-434E-B153-C06C82C61313.jpeg

2869689F-9CE8-4012-9C39-62B5537F335C.jpeg

42B66CE8-B014-4326-A184-8FF15C9496BA.jpeg
I just lost my motor in my 2021 Rubicon Unlimited......6800 miles. Good luck with FCA!!

Robby Robot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nathantothrow.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Occupation
KZ4KNR | Business Intelligence Consultant
Hmm, that FCA 2.0 is a bit worrisome to me. I looked at it briefly (because I'm so impressed with Ford's 2.3 Ecoboost powerplant) but it appeared to be a very complex design and, as you know, complexity = more opportunities for failure. I agree with others who predicted a coolant leak to be the first gremlin.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Hmm, that FCA 2.0 is a bit worrisome to me. I looked at it briefly (because I'm so impressed with Ford's 2.3 Ecoboost powerplant) but it appeared to be a very complex design and, as you know, complexity = more opportunities for failure. I agree with others who predicted a coolant leak to be the first gremlin.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The oil temps from the day you got the vehicle would go to 215 degrees. Wow, I am surprised the engine lasted so long. Sounds like you had a cooling problem from the start. That sucks. If they checked it at that time, maybe they would have fixed the cooling issue and the engine would not have overheated. Had you pulled it over before and had to let the engine cool down, or this is the first time you had to pull over? Did you get warnings in the past?
Sorry to hear and good luck with everything.
I see 220Ā°F + in mine all the time.

215Ā°F is nothing....

Was the oil changed at all in 9200 miles?

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜51 M38
Hmm, that FCA 2.0 is a bit worrisome to meā€¦. but it appeared to be a very complex design and, as you know, complexity = more opportunities for failure.
Interesting. I donā€™t see this as an engine problem. The engine seems solid.

I see this as a coolant system failure (which will destroy any engine). The coolant System seems to be the issue.
Sponsored