Sponsored

Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back?

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S (Sarge Green)
I’m on 3+ months on my dilemma with FCA / Stellantis, still no Jeep. Don’t expect much of anything from them. It’s brutal.
What was the issue with your vehicle?
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
As others have said, I would contact an attorney and explore lemon laws for your state (or the state you purchased in). As slimy as lawyers can be, I would trust most lawyers over a service adviser or salesman at a car dealer. If they do fix it, I would probably skip an extended warranty like you said, once you don't trust a vehicle it isn't worth keeping. Unfortunately, the dealer probably doesn't actually know if it would be quicker to repair the current engine, or just order a new JL, both sound like extended wait times.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Guess it depends on the state. In NJ, once you file and start the ball rolling there is no dragging it out. Don't bother with them anymore and let it run its course.
Followed the guidance from the state attorney general to a T... FCA still denied and said bring an attorney. 20+ days in the shop for a single repair qualified in my state. Vehicle was there for almost 5 months. They led me to believe that they were working on buying back and then told me to pound sand once they fixed it.

Get an attorney.

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
What was the issue with your vehicle?
The whole service shifter warning / loss of power thing, now rumored to be the steering control module. I should have gotten a lawyer. I have so many other things going on right now that I didn’t think it would be worth it, and I was wrong. My biggest mistake was not getting a lawyer. I’d probably be in a new Jeep by now.

Stellantis now runs all of Chrysler’s customer service. The people there all work from home and have zero accountability to actually do anything. It took me close to three weeks to actually get the agent handling my case on the phone because her phone extension was always “off.” They know nothing about automotive repairs and have no incentive to help.

do yourself a favor and lawyer up. Take it from me - it’s my biggest regret in dealing with this mess.

Deleted member 59498

What would an attorney cost in a case like this? Can you get it reimbursed also for legal fees (assuming it was a good claim)? I know attorneys cost vastly different fees but just curious.

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
WOW mine was only tied up 3 days, 3 times a day each. Filed with the state and went right through.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I went through the buyback/arbitration process on my ‘19 JLR because it couldn’t steer. It was not fun, but I won. FCA fought me every step of the way. I would think that your case should be as straightforward as possible. I’m not sure of the laws in your state.

My advice is to document everything. Every email, every call, every visit, every service comment, and transcribe voicemails, etc. My detailed notes helped me win my case (that and the arbitrator saw what a mess my JL was).

This is the website where I started the process: https://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/automotive-warranty-disputes/

This is what I brought to my hearing:
IMG_0796-X4.jpg

I didn’t need a lawyer (and am not one). I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

Good luck!

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
What would an attorney cost in a case like this? Can you get it reimbursed also for legal fees (assuming it was a good claim)? I know attorneys cost vastly different fees but just curious.
NJ its 100% reimbursed. But if you go that route the attorneys want to try and push it through faster, don't want to go to court. Usually a refund of some sort. A lot of good that does, you're still stuck with the same POS with the same problems.

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S (Sarge Green)
I went through the buyback/arbitration process on my ‘19 JLR because it couldn’t steer. It was not fun, but I won. FCA fought me every step of the way. I would think that your case should be as straightforward as possible. I’m not sure of the laws in your state.

My advice is to document everything. Every email, every call, every visit, every service comment, and transcribe voicemails, etc. My detailed notes helped me win my case (that and the arbitrator saw what a mess my JL was).

This is the website where I started the process: https://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/automotive-warranty-disputes/

This is what I brought to my hearing:
Jeep Wrangler JL Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back? IMG_0796-X4

I didn’t need a lawyer (and am not one). I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

Good luck!
Good for you!! And thank you for the link.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
The attorneys for lemon law are free and work nationwide in most states. I did lemon one vehicle myself and it was fast and painless. One thing though, keep a spreadsheet with dates, times, contact names etc. Document everything.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

The attorneys for lemon law are free and work nationwide in most states. I did lemon one vehicle myself and it was fast and painless. One thing though, keep a spreadsheet with dates, times, contact names etc. Document everything.
Ah thank you for info. I don't have any problems and have been one of the majority with Jeeps for 20 years. Just curious. Hope it works out for OP that would be crazy stressful.

Deleted member 59498

NJ its 100% reimbursed. But if you go that route the attorneys want to try and push it through faster, don't want to go to court. Usually a refund of some sort. A lot of good that does, you're still stuck with the same POS with the same problems.
Yeah that is good and bad but makes sense on the git it done thing. Ugh.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Yeah that is good and bad but makes sense on the git it done thing. Ugh.
Actually, the lemon lawyer I used was based in NJ, I do not live in that state, however, I was given the choice of a full refund or a replacement vehicle. No haggling whatsoever.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Sorry Hashem.

Im wondering if your overheating problem was related to what a BUNCH of folks here also reporting loose bolts on part of the 2.0T cooling hose, and associated leaks of coolant.

Keep us posted on your progress.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Wow I could have written this myself. Only difference would have been leaving Utah and being stuck north of Las Vegas. My Jeep is currently at Chapman in Henderson.
I never had any heating up issues before Friday, my tow truck driver and I figured out the transfer needed to be put in N as well as the main shifter when pulling it on to the flat bed.
Chapman thought they had it fixed this morning but after we drove 20 miles, the problem came back.
today they said it needs new motor. I have to wait until Monday when they open again to final approval and set up with rental car. I also need to have them ship it to me in California after it’s fixed. I don’t think a 6 hour high desert summer drive is the way to brake in a new motor. I am told all my expenses are going to be covered under “interrupted trip”
By the way I’m 5758 when it happened.
I will want my jeep back and keep positive about new motor. I still have 30,000 miles left on the warranty plus I got extended with Jeep and MBI with my insurance.
Tow truck time. Yeah the 1st tow company canceled without telling anyone, I called to verify they had room for my wife and I to ride along.
Tow company 2 was through Gieco. They leads us along 40 minutes at a time for 3 hours. Then we found tow company 3 that arrived when they said they would 1.5 hours after call made. Gieco covered that tow. Total side of road 6 hours. We broke down at 11:30 AM on I-15, with 104 OSAT. Got hooked at 5:30.
Thankfully this all happened at the end of our trip and not beginning or during.

Gravy

Jeep Wrangler JL Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back? IMG_0796-X4

Damn! was yours a 2.0T as well??
Sponsored