Sponsored

To winch, or not to winch... (a young lady's perspective)

Winch or no Winch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tscribe

First Name
toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited jl
I have a Ram 3500 with an aftermarket bumper on it, that I put a winch on. I put it on not because I plan on going anywhere in that vehicle that I would get stuck (it's a beast - but not an offroad smash-around vehicle) but put a winch on it because I like helping others.

In the 4 years I've had the winch on the truck, I've probably used it at least 5 times to help pull someone out. My in-laws live up in Iowa, and I've pulled more than a couple people out of snow drifts, buried to their axles. I could have done it just the same with a tow rope - but for me, a winch is controllable, safer than snatching someone out spinning my tires.

I've also pulled someone out of the ditch on the side of a highway entry ramp; was raining, he came around too fast, wound up bouncing over the curb and deep into wet grass in his 2-wheel drive pickup. Buried himself deep in some mud. I hooked up to his 2" receiver hitch and winched him out zero problem.

Not once have I gotten that truck stuck somewhere and used the winch for me - it's always been to lend a helping hand. I would vote that if you had the financial capital to do it and were considering a winch, I'd get it; peace of mind for yourself is a bonus.

As for 'learning to winch', I donno; it ain't that complicated. Sure there are nuances and things that could get you in trouble, but basic winching is hooking up and sensibly pulling in the rope. I use Factor55 adapters (no hook to screw up on me) and synthetic line (no recoil if the wire breaks) and I believe those two changes save me from a lot of possible errors. I've watched a couple videos to understand, and spent 28 years in the Army hooking stuff up and pulling it out - so mebbe I have an advantage. but it never felt overly complicated.

One thing of note when helping others - have THEM hook to their vehicle. I always assist but they are responsible for hooking to their vehicle. My dashcam / cell phone is recording. If something looks unsafe I won't winch; but if they're stuck in backwards-out, you can usually use their hitch (if one exists) to pull from. It's never happened to me, but in today's litigious society I suppose you can't be too careful when offering a lending hand.

anyway, that's my 2c - I vote you get the winch. You never need it until you need it - and then it's too late to get it.
Thanks for this extra info. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on how to use a winch to free myself but never thought of possibly helping someone else with it.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
This Australlian guy Ronny Dahl has some good videos on winching. He makes quite a few good points on safety.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Unless you’re off-roading alone you really don’t need a winch. Depends on what your rig is used for.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been a long week. I’m sure there’s a winch/wench joke that would work with your thread title, but I’m tired. I got nothing :facepalm:
It's always fun when someone asks "what type wench should I get for my Jeep?" :)

Buxom, of course...

And skilled...

beer-wench-small.jpg

doubletap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
I’m not sure what being a woman has to do with it, but if it’s just for looks, I’d say the bumper looks great without the winch. It’s not like the winch sits down into the bumper, leaving an empty hole where the cable is pulled.

However, if you think you may need a winch at any point during ownership, I’d say get the winch. It’s better (and cheaper) to have to winch out than to call a tow truck in the middle of nowhere.
This^^^^^

Get the winch version, but don't worry about adding a winch right away.

Better to have the option to add it later than to buy a complete new bumper to add a winch later.

Heck, maybe your hubby will surprise you with a winch later on down the road.
AND This^^^^^
Sponsored