Sponsored

To winch, or not to winch... (a young lady's perspective)

Winch or no Winch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thatdesertgirl

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray Rubicon JLU, 2011 Desert Sand JK Sport (sold), 2009 Jeep Commander
I'm about to order my new bumper for my Sting Ray Rubi (it's in the shipping stage right now)...!

But I'm very torn about whether to order the winch or non Winch version... So I'd love some help deciding :)

I settled on this ADD St ealth bumper because I love the lights, and I wanted a mid width, sort of sleek look. Nothing too bulky either.

It costs $150 extra dollars for the winch version, plus the cost of the winch ($4-500ish). I was completely fine with the non Winch one, but my husband (a previous JK owner), thinks it's totally weird for me to get a cool bumper and no winch with it.

I plan to paint my mesh grill red, and add red D hooks. This is mostly my daily driver, I probably wouldn't use the winch but once or twice during ownership, from what I imagine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Adding pics so you can see both versions..

Screenshot_20180706-080224_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180706-080855_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I’m not sure what being a woman has to do with it, but if it’s just for looks, I’d say the bumper looks great without the winch. It’s not like the winch sits down into the bumper, leaving an empty hole where the cable is pulled.

However, if you think you may need a winch at any point during ownership, I’d say get the winch. It’s better (and cheaper) to have to winch out than to call a tow truck in the middle of nowhere.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Is it just an attachment piece that allows you to add a winch? Are the holes there for the mount either way, but one version already includes the mount? If so, get the version without the winch since you can always add it later if you decide it is something you will use. If there is no way to add a winch afterward, get the winch version to start since it is less money than replacing the whole bumper if you change your mind.

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends on how you plan on using it. As long as you aren't doing any extreme off-roading by yourself or are going with someone who has a winch then I would say it's an unnecessary cost. It does look cool, but that $750 can be spent on other parts you'll enjoy more.

I go out on trails by myself so I plan on getting one, but after some of the obstacles I've been able to get over with my Sahara, I may never need to use it. I think in my case it's better safe than sorry. I wouldn't want to get into a situation where I need a winch and don't have one.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I recently went through that decision process. We will be taking our JLUS out on back roads and some mind to medium trails. As we won't be purposely traveling any difficult trails, I hope to never need the winch, but... It's always the "but" that gets you. I purchased a 9.5K Smitybilt winch for $299. If I get into a situation where it's needed, that $300 will have been a good investment. If I never need to use it, the peace of mind that its availability provided will have been worth its cost.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Get the winch version, but don't worry about adding a winch right away.

Better to have the option to add it later than to buy a complete new bumper to add a winch later.

Heck, maybe your hubby will surprise you with a winch later on down the road.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Quick story as to why a winch is always one of my 1st adds..

Flashback to 1987 and my 1st Wrangler, a YJ. Picked it up and could not wait to take it out that weekend.. Saturday comes and I hit an old maintenance trail... About 10 miles out I ht a massive downed tree and need to turn around. The road is tight an the sides are deep, thick mud. No choice I attempt a u-turn.. Ahh.... Nope. The rear end sinks into the mud and I am stick beyond belief. Over the next few hours I try just about everything I can think of and nadda! Hopelessly stuck.

Now since this is 1987, there are no cell phones, I am 10 miles deep and stuck! Hike back to the main road and wait for a car to come by. Ask them to send a tow truck my way. A few hours later a tow truck arrives and we venture out to get my Jeep...

Since then I have never left without a winch on my Jeep. Not happening, not going to happen... Sure now there are cell phones where you can call for help but... Better to drag yourself out and continue on in my opinion...

My advice? If you are going off road get one or be prepared to suffer the consequences of not having one if its needed...

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Another perspective is if you sell the Jeep or pass it on the bumper would have to be replaced in order for that person to add a winch! It would be sad and a waste of a great bumper if that happens!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
It’s been a long week. I’m sure there’s a winch/wench joke that would work with your thread title, but I’m tired. I got nothing :facepalm:

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Quick story as to why a winch is always one of my 1st adds..

Flashback to 1987 and my 1st Wrangler, a YJ. Picked it up and could not wait to take it out that weekend.. Saturday comes and I hit an old maintenance trail... About 10 miles out I ht a massive downed tree and need to turn around. The road is tight an the sides are deep, thick mud. No choice I attempt a u-turn.. Ahh.... Nope. The rear end sinks into the mud and I am stick beyond belief. Over the next few hours I try just about everything I can think of and nadda! Hopelessly stuck.

Now since this is 1987, there are no cell phones, I am 10 miles deep and stuck! Hike back to the main road and wait for a car to come by. Ask them to send a tow truck my way. A few hours later a tow truck arrives and we venture out to get my Jeep...

Since then I have never left without a winch on my Jeep. Not happening, not going to happen... Sure now there are cell phones where you can call for help but... Better to drag yourself out and continue on in my opinion...

My advice? If you are going off road get one or be prepared to suffer the consequences of not having one if its needed...
Nailed it. If you're only using the Jeep as a DD, and the winch is style, it's a waste. If you're EVER off the road, buy a cheap, basic, and reliable winch like the Smittybuilt. Even if you never use it, avoiding situations like this make a $300 investment worth it.

Sponsored

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Hey neighbor, Personally, I'd hold off on the bumper and the winch. It take lots of knowledge and practice to use a winch safely, regardless of your sex. When you feel like you need a winch then buy the bumper and winch. My last JK, had Hasbro bumpers, and I couldn't wait to replace them. This time I thought I'd do the same. The problem is the JLUR bumper is way better than the JK's and in my opinion looks pretty good too. So, I'm deciding like you, where do I want put my mod dollars. Spend your money slowly, cuz you're going to spend a lot.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I have a Ram 3500 with an aftermarket bumper on it, that I put a winch on. I put it on not because I plan on going anywhere in that vehicle that I would get stuck (it's a beast - but not an offroad smash-around vehicle) but put a winch on it because I like helping others.

In the 4 years I've had the winch on the truck, I've probably used it at least 5 times to help pull someone out. My in-laws live up in Iowa, and I've pulled more than a couple people out of snow drifts, buried to their axles. I could have done it just the same with a tow rope - but for me, a winch is controllable, safer than snatching someone out spinning my tires.

I've also pulled someone out of the ditch on the side of a highway entry ramp; was raining, he came around too fast, wound up bouncing over the curb and deep into wet grass in his 2-wheel drive pickup. Buried himself deep in some mud. I hooked up to his 2" receiver hitch and winched him out zero problem.

Not once have I gotten that truck stuck somewhere and used the winch for me - it's always been to lend a helping hand. I would vote that if you had the financial capital to do it and were considering a winch, I'd get it; peace of mind for yourself is a bonus.

As for 'learning to winch', I donno; it ain't that complicated. Sure there are nuances and things that could get you in trouble, but basic winching is hooking up and sensibly pulling in the rope. I use Factor55 adapters (no hook to screw up on me) and synthetic line (no recoil if the wire breaks) and I believe those two changes save me from a lot of possible errors. I've watched a couple videos to understand, and spent 28 years in the Army hooking stuff up and pulling it out - so mebbe I have an advantage. but it never felt overly complicated.

One thing of note when helping others - have THEM hook to their vehicle. I always assist but they are responsible for hooking to their vehicle. My dashcam / cell phone is recording. If something looks unsafe I won't winch; but if they're stuck in backwards-out, you can usually use their hitch (if one exists) to pull from. It's never happened to me, but in today's litigious society I suppose you can't be too careful when offering a lending hand.

anyway, that's my 2c - I vote you get the winch. You never need it until you need it - and then it's too late to get it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Winches aren't just useful for you. Think of all the people stuck in the snow that you could offer assistance to. :)

tscribe

First Name
toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited jl
I’m in the same situation and I’m going to go the winch route! If you think you will use it even 3 times total it’ll pay for itself! I just got the JL and Had my JK for 9 years. Can’t tell you how many times I needed a winch but didn’t have one, needed a shovel but didn’t have it, needed stuff I should have modded on it to begin with but just didn’t have it. Once got stuck in some seriously deep snow off road and 911 was like “got yourself in so get yourself out” and I had to dig myself out with my camera tripod and a makeshift ramp with sticks and logs. Not fun! Took 3 hrs! I had no tools..had no idea what I was doing. I’m a nature photographer and I go off road ..not an off roader but I guess I sort of am an off roader in a way..lol I’m a girl Jeeper too btw. Lots of love and good luck.

OP
OP
thatdesertgirl

thatdesertgirl

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray Rubicon JLU, 2011 Desert Sand JK Sport (sold), 2009 Jeep Commander
Thank you guys for all the awesome advice! My husband went ahead and ordered the "winch ready" version, so we have the ability to add one when we are ready (he got his way, haha). Really appreciate all your stories and feedback. This is seriously the best community ❤
Sponsored