Sponsored

To what speed can I drive with a softop down?

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2 doors soft top 2019
Wrangler JL - I'm wondering to what speed can I drive with a half soft top-down and full soft top down?
And what speed is comfortable to drive with both tops like this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
If it's the sunrider it's reported 70-75 MPG's, again sunrider check your top, 1/2 top should be in city only and that may be 35-40, but it's in town so you're driving that anyway. Hope that helps keep the Jeep wave going. 🧜

Last edited:
OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's the sunrider it's reported 70-75, again sunrider check your top, 1/2 top should be in city only and that may be 35-40, but it's in town so you're driving that anyway. Hope that helps keep the Jeep wave going. 🧜
Thanks for the info! sunrider means the whole top is down like the first pic or second pic?

Jeep Wrangler JL To what speed can I drive with a softop down? WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 5.43.49 PM
Jeep Wrangler JL To what speed can I drive with a softop down? WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 5.44.14 PM

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Thanks for the info! sunrider means the whole top is down like the first pic or second pic?

Jeep Wrangler JL To what speed can I drive with a softop down? WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 5.44.14 PM
The first pic is in safari mode, top up but windows out
Second pic is fully down / open for the soft top

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

I don’t know if it’s speed rated but I’ve drive. 80mph+ both ways zero issues. I do put a strap around the center of the top when it’s all the way back. But I’m paranoid. Most of my friends don’t.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
You can drive in Safari mode (top up, windows out) at any speed. I don’t know about it down fully but I drive on the freeway at 75mph with no issues. It barely moves.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I think you’ll be fine a whatever speed you choose. To me the limiting factor has always been wind noise and turbulence-not an issue with the top itself,

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know if it’s speed rated but I’ve drive. 80mph+ both ways zero issues. I do put a strap around the center of the top when it’s all the way back. But I’m paranoid. Most of my friends don’t.
You can drive in Safari mode (top up, windows out) at any speed. I don’t know about it down fully but I drive on the freeway at 75mph with no issues. It barely moves.
Thanks! and like this half down?

Jeep Wrangler JL To what speed can I drive with a softop down? WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 6.05.49 PM

And is such a thing possible? to have the windows out and the top half down? (The reason is I have a subwoofer attached in my trunk and I have to remove it If I need to open the top fully
Jeep Wrangler JL To what speed can I drive with a softop down? WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 6.05.49 PM (1)

Thanks!

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500

Jeep Wrangler JL To what speed can I drive with a softop down? WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 6.05.49 PM (1)
Noo, the sunrider is the manufactured top Jeep put on the JL Wrangler, I forget what the top was called for the JK. Keep the Jeep wave going.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Noo, the sunrider is the manufactured top Jeep put on the JL Wrangler, I forget what the top was called for the JK. Keep the Jeep wave going.
Is it the one that you install it on the full hard top models?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 6.05.49 PM.jpeg

And is such a thing possible? to have the windows out and the top half down?
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-07 at 6.05.49 PM (1).jpeg
The first picture illustrates the soft top in the factory-approved "Sunrider" position.

For what it's worth, there are decals on the frame of my soft top that specifically warn against the configuration evident in the second photo: The soft top in the Sunrider position, with the three windows concurrently removed.

Other owners may say they've done the same, with no apparent harm, so this is just something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first picture illustrates the soft top in the factory-approved "Sunrider" position.

For what it's worth, there are decals on the frame of my soft top that specifically warn against the configuration evident in the second photo: The soft top in the Sunrider position, with the three windows concurrently removed.

Other owners may say they've done the same, with no apparent harm, so this is just something to keep in mind.
Good to keep in mind! thanks

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
You can drive as fast as you want with the top in any position. The problem is the windows. If you decide to jump on the highway they can and will pop out due to the wind pressures. The older JK series had zippers so the windows would stay put. The JL has channel slots and the windows are not as strong as a result.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You can drive as fast as you want with the top in any position. The problem is the windows.

If you decide to jump on the highway they can and will pop out due to the wind pressures. The older JK series had zippers so the windows would stay put. The JL has channel slots and the windows are not as strong as a result.
Yep. That's why we wonder why some folks disparage the use of zippers on prior iterations of the Wrangler soft top design. They weren't at all difficult to operate (voice of experience), and they provided a degree of retention strength (i.e., security) that the JL-generation soft top can't compete with. I still miss the ability to roll up the rear window, too.
Sponsored