Sponsored

To track bar or not to track bar, that is the question...

Should I add a track bar?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Having to window the mount bracket for metalcloak is on of the turn offs for me.
What does it mean to "window" the mount bracket? Also do you think this kind of labor is something a novice could do? On a scale of 1 to blind rage, how mad am I likely to get lol
Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
What does it mean to "window" the mount bracket? Also do you think this kind of labor is something a novice could do? On a scale of 1 to blind rage, how mad am I likely to get lol
The MC trackbar has an oversized head on it. On the axle side mount, you’ll need to take a reamer or small pencil grinder or the like and open up the bottom of the track bar so that the head will fit and you can get the bolt thru. I love MC, but really don’t like doing this.

Brett

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The MC trackbar has an oversized head on it. On the axle side mount, you’ll need to take a reamer or small pencil grinder or the like and open up the bottom of the track bar so that the head will fit and you can get the bolt thru. I love MC, but really don’t like doing this.

Brett
Ahh gotcha, yeah that sounds like a major PITA! I get frustrated enough just when holes don't line up, let alone all that noise lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Dang those prices sound really good to me!! Well so I haven't decided against the track bar, but I did elect to move forward with what I've got for now and do some more research for the best/most cost effective add-ons. Thing is, my wheels/tires will be here Wed and I don't want to delay unnecessarily. Figure I can always do a round two and add in the others, but kudos to you for knocking all that out in one shot!! Please please revisit this post after install and let me know what you think and I'll do the same! Lord willing, mine will be on this Wed :)

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
metalcloak front and rear here. I had the steersmarts on first, but it was too big, not much room between it and the MetalCloak FAD skid plate. I had to open the window of the axle mount for the steersmarts track bar also, so I don’t think this is specific to just MetalCloak.

74FF6B5B-07AC-48E7-BB78-264788316428.jpeg

9D1E216A-66B5-4F90-AEB8-9BC673ABF230.jpeg

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
metalcloak front and rear here. I had the steersmarts on first, but it was too big, not much room between it and the MetalCloak FAD skid plate. I had to open the window of the axle mount for the steersmarts track bar also, so I don’t think this is specific to just MetalCloak.
We designed a new axle side end forging for our front track bar so it can be mounted in the stock location without having to cut or modify anything. We also moved the adjuster to the frame side so we could use a hex adjuster instead of our JK style pin adjuster and paired it with a new angled flex joint so everything lines up correctly. We could have re-used our JK design and been to market a long time ago, but we wanted to do things right for the JL and not cut any corners. It's taking us a lot longer to come to market, but I generally feel we have a better product and it is improved from what we offer for the JK.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
@AllJumpStyle, Sounds like a great solution, nice job doing this differently and properly. I like the idea of the adjuster being on the frame side, the axle side is really busy. I recently watched a YouTube video on [Banned Site], and he installed Synergy dlink and tie rod, looked like quality stuff

Sponsored

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

74FF6B5B-07AC-48E7-BB78-264788316428.jpeg

9D1E216A-66B5-4F90-AEB8-9BC673ABF230.jpeg
Nice man! I'm over here like "so thaaaat's where those are on the vehicle" lol

OP
OP
Married2MyJeep

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Valid question! So I've only had it a month but hoping to do enough basic upgrades for some mild off roading. Essentially trying to strike a balance between form and function, hence the reason I'm looking into track bars or whatever else I may need to a) keep it riding 'smoothly' (whatever that means on a Wrangler) and b) not place undue stress on the equipment as a result of aftermarket components.

Sidenote: got the lift installed a day early and love it!! Ended up with exactly 3" of lift al the way around, even with all the added weight from bumpers, armor, and winch. I do wonder if it will settle some more after driving awhile? Either way, I'm super stoked and can't wait for my wheels/tires to arrive!
Sponsored