To soft top or not, that is the question

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I had purchased the Bestop TrekTop NX Glide on my JK (I think they have one for the JL). The frame folds back with the top (or comes off if you disconnect it). The only thing left would be the door frames which can also be removed quickly. The NX glide folds back on all the hardware behind the roll bar and in front of the spare. It can then be put up in just a couple minutes to become a bikini top, and it has a sunrider position as well.
So back on topic - according to Bestop they have not decided if a Glide will be made for the JLU. Reference - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ft-top-help-us-decide.3347/page-7#post-636999

The only thing I've seen for "emergency covers" are ones like this...
Mopar_82215370_Jeep_Logo_Cab_Cover_Wrangler_Unlimited_JL_Install.jpg

Available from Quadratec (and others, this one is Mopar).
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
With the advanced safety features we have now can you drive with this on? :giggle:
You might want a front-mounted camera like the JT, then I'm sure you'd be fine!:like:

Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I'm originally from Chicago...it pained me to type that.
Lol, I'd feel the same way. But with that Bears defense right now, the rest of us are just fighting for a Wild Card spot.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi everyone, very torn here and looking for some advice. Background: I have dual tops that came with my moab, live in New England so the weather changes 8 times a day and I have a top lift pro. I really like the look pure topless look and not a fan of the extra hardware/rails of the soft top and how much of it still shows when down.

Now, i don't hate the soft top look contrary to above. I'm torn if I want to put the soft top on or sell and just use hard top via top lift pro. If there was an effective rain cover/bikini top that I could keep folded up in the back then my decision would be made but I have yet to find anything like that. Am I missing something that can be used in emergency rain storm? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Here's what I take from this.

* You don't like the look of the open soft top.

* You need to be able to cover the rig quickly in the changeable area of our shared locale, knowing, paradoxically enough, the warmer weather that motivates soft top use, comes with it the afternoon thunderstorm that riding with no top makes impractical barring a decent yet-to-market emergency top offering.

[Sell the soft top and] buy the Bestop Sunrider [with some of the proceeds.]

I'm a big Sunrider fan (the product-not the position of the OEM softtop--although I like that too.) Before I bought the Sunrider I wondered about if it was right for me.

A couple of people on the forum, from Florida: the unofficial "thunderstorm capital of the US," explained how when a fast moving thunder cell is approaching in the opposite direction of your freeway travel, and opposing traffic has their headlights on, you want to be able to "close the hatch" quickly without having to take the time (if even possible) to pull over to do so. You may have only seconds before a downpour hits you.

The Sunrider provides that.

A while back I was thinking about a translucent emergency tarp made out of heavy plastic, like sold in the paint aisle of the big box stores, but again, deployment involves pulling over. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn

* You need to be able to cover the rig quickly in the changeable area of our shared locale, knowing, paradoxically enough, the warmer weather that motivates soft top use, comes with it the afternoon thunderstorm that riding with no top makes impractical barring a decent yet-to-market emergency top offering.

I'm a big Sunrider fan (the product-not the position of the OEM softtop--although I like that too.) Before I bought the Sunrider I wondered about if it was right for me.

A couple of people on the forum, from Florida: the unofficial "thunderstorm capital of the US," explained how when a fast moving thunder cell is approaching in the opposite direction of your freeway travel, and opposing traffic has their headlights on, you want to be able to "close the hatch" quickly without having to take the time (if even possible) to pull over to do so. You may have only seconds before a downpour hits you.

A while back I was thinking about a translucent emergency tarp made out of heavy plastic, like sold in the paint aisle of the big box stores, but again, deployment involves pulling over. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can close a sunrider while going down the road?

OP
OP
robd1438

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Rahneld!

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You can close a sunrider while going down the road?
Yes sir. It's reachable from driving position, as would be the driver's side latch at least, if not both latches, depending upon driver size.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@robd1438 : of course there's this soon to be released solution, also requiring manual latch closer.

But it's only for Wrangler owners with too much money and too few items of interest they want for their JLs: a group whose size would fit inside a porta-potty.

https://mytop.us/

Got to admit..she's a thing of beauty.

@Covfefe's the forum's resident expert.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

@robd1438 : of course there's this soon to be released solution, also requiring manual latch closer.

But it's only for Wrangler owners with too much money and too few items of interest they want for their JLs: a group whose size would fit inside a porta-potty.

https://mytop.us/

Got to admit..she's a thing of beauty.

@Covfefe's the forum's resident expert.
Saw those in person at sema. Theyre hideous imo

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I respect your take Steve. But that said, what aspects of this accessory found you saying "boo?"
I just think its ugly. Like something designed in the 80s. The back side windows look ugly and then how tall it is when its down.

Its probably the red color that is making me dislike it so much. Looks like a vinyl top from an 80s caddy. Not so bad in black looking at pics.

I could see how it would be great for someone in FL like you said.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I just think its ugly. Like something designed in the 80s. The back side windows look ugly and then how tall it is when its down.

Its probably the red color that is making me dislike it so much. Looks like a vinyl top from an 80s caddy. Not so bad in black looking at pics.

I could see how it would be great for someone in FL like you said.
I respect that. I think you made good points though I hold more interest in the product than you.

Happy trails--peace.
Sponsored