Sponsored

To sell or not to sell?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
If you were offered 10% more than you paid for your two year old Jeep , would you sell it right now?
I did, but I traded for a newer/better model. :)
Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Nope. At our current pace we have 10.5 months left until we own my 2020 - intend on keeping it until the 2027 new models and then reevaluating whether to get a final model year JL or the new one.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I wouldn't. I have a 19 that sticker new for $56,085. The same thing in a 21 would cost me $61,000. Mine is almost paid off, and I have it just like I like it. Why would I go back into more debt to get what I have. Only option I wish I had was front camera, and I can live without it. Sure I could make money on mine, but at the end of the day I'm going back into more debt. That's what most people don't think about. They just see they are getting more for the one they have.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
I'd say it depends. I was offered what I paid for my JKU used almost 4 years and 45,000 miles ago. Carfax actually sent me the number on behave of my dealership. Its 4k over kbb. The dealership initially only offered kbb until I showed them the email. They honored it. So I looked at all of my options and ordered a 4xe..... A small part of me still wants to keep the JKU. Its been good to me other than a bad wheel sensor early on and leaking axle seal.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Right now is a great time to sell. It has peaked though. If one wants to sell they should probably do it in the not to distant future. Prices are still up, but they have stabilized. Auctions are not as nutty as they were.

Sam

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I did something similar, but instead of trading in a Jeep, I traded in a Mustang GT I had bought just over a year prior. Bought it for 36k (CPO) out the door, owed 30k when I traded it in on a new 4xe. Trade in value was 40k. My new loan was for 38k. So, yes, I have more debt, but I also have more value in the Jeep than I did in the Mustang currently, plus I'll get the full tax credit ($7500) when I do my taxes for 2021. It was a good deal even before accounting for the 4xe tax credit though.

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Nope. Can't get the Ocean Blue Metallic anymore and too much time and sweat equity in it to have to do it all over again.

One day I will add up all the parts I put into her and if I got that amount ... absolutely!

-Tom

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Consider the market and your need for a replacement vehicle.

Sure, you'll get a great number for your trade right now but what will you have to pay to get another vehicle?

malogus

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Yep. Sold my Jeep with the used market premium, and was able to pick up a fully loaded Kia Telluride from a private party (ie. no taxes) without paying a premium on that.

So my wife got the bigger car that she wanted, and I was able to drive a Jeep for 3 years for virtually nothing.

Can always buy another one later...

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I bought a new JL in 2018 - sold it in May of last year bc I was offered a great deal. Missed it so much, bought a 2021 in March - special ordered it (same color, added options). You don't realize how much fun and how unique our Jeeps are until you don't have one. With that said - If i could make money off of it, I would consider selling it and special order a new one with the options you want.

Sponsored

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
No way. I put in too much time and money to cover 10% over the cost of my Wrangler. It has probably taken a couple months of shop time and my personal time to perform all of the updates, that I wouldn't want to do again.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
If I could make a profit on the old one and then buy and afford a new one at 7% under invoice, than hell yeah. You’re immediately in an equity position.
You need to valuate the shop time and your time for the upgrades in determining whether you have any true equity.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
For 10% more, I'd do it. Most of my mods I can take off and put on a new Wrangler, so I'm not out anything.

I understand why Jeep is doing this, just checked, there is not a single new Wrangler on my local dealer's lot. And only six used Wranglers, only one being a JL.

Best,
-Tim

Last edited:

Afishinado

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara, 17 JKU Big Bear, 97 TJ
It happens to be I am trying to trade my '21 with 2100 miles on it... Problem is, I want another Tahoe (I've had 4) or a Wagoneer.. None around!
But to answer your question, probably not. I was offered what I paid for my 17 JK when I bought the 21, my reply was no thanks, part of the family now.
Sponsored