Sponsored

To remove wrangler decal or to leave it?

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Yes that is how John North Willys pronounced his name and the name of Willys-Overland. Chrysler gave up correcting people and said it's just easier to mispronounce it. A man's legacy deserves to be pronounced correctly. https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2...is-name-willis-local-jeep-historian-says.html.
I think you’re fighting an uphill battle. Even growing up in the 50’s&60’s when my father and his jeeper buddies got together every Tuesday night and said Willis I thought they were slurring Willys because the Jeeps all had Willys on them ( one Ford Jeep) . It was a few years before they told me it was Willis after l asked around age 12-13.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you’re fighting an uphill battle. Even growing up in the 50’s&60’s when my father and his jeeper buddies got together every Tuesday night and said Willis I thought they were slurring Willys because the Jeeps all had Willys on them ( one Ford Jeep) . It was a few years before they told me it was Willis after l asked around age 12-13.
A lot of the confusion came when the soldiers returned from the war. The army jeeps were their first exposure to Willys-Overland so they just pronounced it like it looked. Other non truck people figured that they used them in the war so they must be right. I am more upset with Chrysler for stating that they are going to say it wrong because it's easier than correcting people. I feel that if you own one you should pronounce it correctly to honor Mr Willys.

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
IMG_6861.JPG

Name it and claim it.
I like the look of your Zeitgest - 2 questions if I may :

1 / how did you get the bumper covers and the fender flares to look that black? Paint? Wax?
2 / I also like the look of the LEDs headlights - what make / model are they?

Thank you (I have a white JLUSs that looks a bit dull at the moment).

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you're asking, I hate decals on the hood. Yours isn't even the right size for the hood. If it was a tinny bit bigger (stretched-out) and outlined like the Rubicon, maybe, but even then...... I also dislike the Willys edition decals which are too small to be on the hood and even more so, the 4 wheel drive on the back, which look like decals out of pepboys.

The only oem decals that I think look right are the more recent Rubicon (post 2013) and the JL Moab decals but even then.... lines look cleaner without. hood blackout is nice tho. lol...
Are you aware of the history of Willys-Overland and the sticker on the back?

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Are you aware of the history of Willys-Overland and the sticker on the back?
Totally, but how long ago was that again. Back then it was high tech but now 4X4 ain’t high tech anymore, no need for that cheesy decal. They sell the same crappy decal at Canadian tire that people slap on pickup trucks. Been driving Jeeps since the mid 80s , darn right I know about the Willy’s tradition.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Totally, but how long ago was that again. Back then it was high tech but now 4X4 ain’t high tech anymore, no need for that cheesy decal. They sell the same crappy decal at Canadian tire that people slap on pickup trucks. Been driving Jeeps since the mid 80s , darn right I know about the Willy’s tradition.
Willys, not Willy's. Not questioning your knowledge or statement; nothing more than you're versus your—

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I couldn't wait to remove the small white Wrangler decal off the side of my Jeep. Replaced it with something a little more subtle.

20210914_113003.jpg

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Willys Overland was making cars decades before WWII.

It’s my understand from doing research that Mr Willys did not correct anyone that he was doing business with. In vintage ads that you can find on YouTube, you will here the announcer use both pronunciations. To me it makes no difference.

Kinda like how people pronounce Louisville. Some say lewie-Ville and others say Luahvul (or something like that) It’s still the same place.

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
...I am more upset with Chrysler for stating that they are going to say it wrong because it's easier than correcting people....
I'm with you! That kind of laziness in not correcting people is precisely how we ended up with Jeeps that have 4 doors!

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
I’ve noticed some Jeep models don’t even have the embossed Jeep by the front fender, why?

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I don't care for decals on paint.Deleted all the Willys decals on my Jeep. I'm ok with certain decals on glass. Just me.........

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
I like the ones on the hood. Not so much a fan of the fender ones below the Jeep logo.
The fender "wrangler" decals "fell off" the first day and the "Jeep" got plasticoated black. Much better look!

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
Thanks to this thread, pulled my blue 4xe Wrangler decals off today. Sat in the sun for a bit and they came right off. Looks much better.
Jeep Wrangler JL To remove wrangler decal or to leave it? 436D1E84-CA63-4049-A8DC-CFA918E69EFB
Jeep Wrangler JL To remove wrangler decal or to leave it? A2B4740C-8308-4037-9DD2-BC0F193F6524
Sponsored