Sponsored

to pay or not to pay for leather seats option?

Dito

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
All my vehicles up until now have had cloth seats including my JK. Decided to order my Rubi with leather and I really enjoy it, that being said, she’s only 2 months old and I haven’t had a chance to hop in after it’s been sitting the the summer sun for a few hours.
Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I was debating this too and ended up going with leather. The deciding factor was the fact leather also included the leather knobs and ebrake lever and the nicer door panels. Beings how I have a Sahara, mine came with the upper leather dash as standard. However rubicons don’t, and to me for the price these jeeps cost, without getting the leather package all those bits looks kinda cheap to me in the standard “plasticy” form IMO. My leather has held up fairly well over the past 18k miles and with all my dogs trampling over them. They do get pretty hot with the top off during the summer, but I put a black towel over them anyways to protect them from the UV rays (would do the same with cloth to prevent fading). Not the best quality leather out there but I’m happy with my decision in the end.

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I've had cloth in my 2 TJs and leather in my 2 JKs and my JL. The hot sun on leather with the top off was always an issue for me, even here in Indiana. On my last JK I installed a spyderweb sunshade and was 98% effective in not having a hot leather seat when returning to the Jeep. The only time it didn't work as well is when the sun was low in the sky and came in under the sunshade.

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered my JLUR with ALL options EXCEPT Leather and the Safety package. Every car/truck that I have ever had with leather was a mistake. The cloth always last longer in Jeeps.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I ordered my Jeep with leather like every car I've owned in the past 20 years save my 2000 Sahara. After reading a fair amount in this forum, I wished I would have kept the cloth. From what I've read, the cloth seats on the Wranglers are actually pretty decent. And, though I always think leather is easy, I forget that almost every leather seat I've owned had some sort of abrasion or cracking.

Sponsored

kristie73

First Name
kristie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
I placed the order Friday and people felt as though it wouldn't be difficult to change it since it was just placed. do you have conflicting information?
we changed our order a few days after. dealership had to contact area manager but they made it happen.

myoldmetal

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara, 14 Mustang GT, 17 Super Duty
Occupation
Construction Management
I have had leather in my last several cars and my JLU Sahara is no different. Mine is a family hauler that sees light trail use, but I'm extremely OCD about all my cars, so it gets spit shined every week, and I also wipe the seats and put leather conditioner on them often. In my opinion, I find the leather much easier to clean and keep looking new.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
going to the dealership tomorrow to add on to my order. am debating on this and need to get, what I hope is, a consensus.

I have a mojito green coming. I chose black CLOTH seats. Should I have taken the leather seats? Does the leather feel leather or does it feel like the cheap leathery crap they try to pass off as leather now.

if you have the leather and see someone with a cloth seats do you feel happy that you have them or do you feel like it was a waste of money.

IF I do go leather, black would be the best choice and not tan, right?
Crap, bet your more confused now then when you originally posted huh? :whew:

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
going to the dealership tomorrow to add on to my order. am debating on this and need to get, what I hope is, a consensus.

I have a mojito green coming. I chose black CLOTH seats. Should I have taken the leather seats? Does the leather feel leather or does it feel like the cheap leathery crap they try to pass off as leather now.

if you have the leather and see someone with a cloth seats do you feel happy that you have them or do you feel like it was a waste of money.

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with leather and like it alot I like the leather on the dash verses the painted one

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev

I live in Central FL and ordered leather.

My first vehicle was a Tacoma and I thought "psh, leather is for suckers!" so I got cloth. I regretted it hard. Didnt like the feel but most importantly didnt like how difficult they are to clean and maintain. Even water stains them.

My second car was used but it was a 2005 IS300 with leather seats. LOVED it. Never wanted cloth again! 6 months later, someone t-boned me and it was totaled. Got my money and bought another IS300 with leather. Never looking back. So easy to clean. Comfortable. When you use leather conditioner it looks so nice.

I use meguiars leather cleaner and chemical guys leather scent and everyone that sits in my car thinks I just skinned a cow and wrapped my seats with real leather (a little too graphic? sorry lol)

Rubicon_Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Leather. No question. I have black leather. Fit and finish seems go so far. Easy clean up. Just better. Also, my dealer offered a protective treatment and I opted for thAt as well.

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
I like my cloth- you can always get Katzkin leather seats later on if you are unhappy and it would not cost you much more. You would lose the cup holders built into the rear seat, and leather accents on the gear shift and doors.

As I said I actually really like my cloth and have no regrets.
Does the Cloth still have the middle fold down armrest in the rear seat ?
i know the leather does and it has that massive headrest/drink holder, but i can't tell from pictures if the cloth has a fold down arm rest.
pics to show me would also help
:)

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Does the Cloth still have the middle fold down armrest in the rear seat ?
i know the leather does and it has that massive headrest/drink holder, but i can't tell from pictures if the cloth has a fold down arm rest.
pics to show me would also help
:)
Cloth does not get the fold down armrest. Cloth also has full size cup holders in the floor versus leather which has short ones to accommodate the center headrest when the seat is folded.