Sponsored

to pay or not to pay for leather seats option?

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The cloth seats in the JL are great. I had leather in my JKUR Hard Rock and they were nice but the sun took its toll on them in a few short years. I felt like I was constantly having to condition them to keep them from cracking in the summer (and this was in Northern Illinois).

The leather in the JL felt much thinner and cheaper. Heated cloth seats in the JL are just about the best thing ever.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wordslayer

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
I ended up going with cloth. Was it the right decision? Of course not. Anytime I have a borderline decision like this I typically regret the decision I made. It's not because I actually made the wrong decision. It's because I'm comparing what I did do against an idea of what I didn't do.

Couple of things swayed the decision. When people commented about how hot leather seats get when sitting in the sun, that resonated with me, because leather can get scorching hot. And then I thought that if I hated the cloth I had I could always add leather, but if I got leather I could not go back and get cloth.

Have any of you all noticed this? Back in the day, seats used to be actually soft. They had a real bounce or spring to them. Where are the plush, pillow top seats? i remember some of the 80's toyota's having the most comfortable seats. I remember my mother having an 80's series chrysler that had leather seats that felt like you were sitting on a cloud. I had a boss one time that had an old Ford thunderbird (probably a 70's series) that had the softest leather seats I had ever seen.

But sometime in the new millennium things changed. seats now are like the seats you sit in at Mcdonalds. It feels like nothing is actually soft anymore. Everything is hard and contoured. I don't want an ergonomic seat. I want a soft seat. Where are they getting this hardened foam now?

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
going to the dealership tomorrow to add on to my order. am debating on this and need to get, what I hope is, a consensus.

I have a mojito green coming. I chose black CLOTH seats. Should I have taken the leather seats? Does the leather feel leather or does it feel like the cheap leathery crap they try to pass off as leather now.

if you have the leather and see someone with a cloth seats do you feel happy that you have them or do you feel like it was a waste of money.

IF I do go leather, black would be the best choice and not tan, right?
I'm partial to leather, have it in my JLU, very good quality and wouldn't hesitate to get it again. Black

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

During spring and summer the top is pretty much always done.

Had a convertible with leather before and it was awful in the sun. In a regular hardtop vehicle i prefer it for comfort and ease of clean up

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I’ve had 5 Wranglers, all cloth. My JLUR I kinda walked into at the dealer had leather and I wasn’t sure about it. So far, I’ll never get cloth again. Both my JKs cloth seats would be splotched and marked so easily. I wipe down my leather and it looks new much more easily and quickly than any cloth I’ve ever had. Granted my JL is just about one year old, so time will tell with how they last, etc. But so far leather all the way! Probably shouldn’t post after you made your decision. Sorry. But sounds like lots love cloth so you’ll be happy.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I have a white JLUR with the tan leather interior and it a very nice combination. I ordered the tan top as well and it gives the Wrangler a beach feel, great for the New England summers. I don't think there's a bad choice, I have no complaints with the leather.
Strong combo, and best for hot weather. I went Black/Tan interior/Tan top, but only because I do like the black just that much more than white. White really does look great, and will be cooler in the heat. There is a reason all the yachts in the marina are white.

Put the windshield down, take the sides off, top up, and sport a giant Nerf or water gun, ice cooler in the back, and cruise the beach, rollin' safari stye. :P

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I have cloth in my Rubicon. Dont regret it at all and saved LOTs of money. I have 3 boys who destroy everything. Treated it with 303 protectant myself. Made a world of difference. Seats still look new now thru first winter, rainy spring, hot summer, camping, rainy fall and salt scum winter and a Golden Retriever who sheds fur tumble weeds and tracks mud. And no more hot seats in summer or frozen seats in winter.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Most leather seats these days are vinyl with “leather seating surfaces”. The black cloth on my Rubicon are great. I would not pay the extra for leather. I am cheap though.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I live in Central FL and ordered leather.

My first vehicle was a Tacoma and I thought "psh, leather is for suckers!" so I got cloth. I regretted it hard. Didnt like the feel but most importantly didnt like how difficult they are to clean and maintain. Even water stains them.

My second car was used but it was a 2005 IS300 with leather seats. LOVED it. Never wanted cloth again! 6 months later, someone t-boned me and it was totaled. Got my money and bought another IS300 with leather. Never looking back. So easy to clean. Comfortable. When you use leather conditioner it looks so nice.

I use meguiars leather cleaner and chemical guys leather scent and everyone that sits in my car thinks I just skinned a cow and wrapped my seats with real leather (a little too graphic? sorry lol)
A little tip on leather conditioner, but pretty much all automotive leather is covered in plastic so the conditioner just sits on . My Overland Summit's owner's manual said to use a "damp cloth" and now that's my go to interior cleaner. Looks great after 120K miles. No greasy streaks and cost nothing.

Triggerfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
I bought Leather and I live in a hot climate. Why? Because when I get done at the beach I'm going to sit my damp butt down on seat and either way I'm putting a towel or something else on it. In a leather seat if the towel gets wet and in turn makes the seat wet, I just wipe the seat down when I get home. On cloth, the stank goes right into the cloth which is no good.

I also ride dirt bikes, and after a day of riding and getting sweaty, sitting directly on cloth is going to dirty them up immediately. With leather, it will clean up with wiping them down. I always take a towel with me when I know I am going to get into the car dirty.... if anything gets through, leather holds up much better in my applications.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I bought Leather and I live in a hot climate. Why? Because when I get done at the beach I'm going to sit my damp butt down on seat and either way I'm putting a towel or something else on it. In a leather seat if the towel gets wet and in turn makes the seat wet, I just wipe the seat down when I get home. On cloth, the stank goes right into the cloth which is no good.

I also ride dirt bikes, and after a day of riding and getting sweaty, sitting directly on cloth is going to dirty them up immediately. With leather, it will clean up with wiping them down. I always take a towel with me when I know I am going to get into the car dirty.... if anything gets through, leather holds up much better in my applications.
Sounds like you just need a seat cover.

EJA

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I was going to get cloth but I was worried about my son spilling stuff in the back seat. Plus I thought the cup holders in the 2nd row arm rest would be easier for him than the ones on the floor. Went with leather.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I am doing after market leather in my JLUS soon. Katzkin is the leather mfg. co. and king of kings will be installing. Will post some pics when complete. My seats are heated and steering wheel which I enjoy on those cold days, so I did perf leather on the seats. The cloth seats are nice but I always liked the look of leather much more! and besides much cheaper than dealer cost.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Leather fan here, and I think the black actually looks better. However 2 Jeeps and 2 sets of tan. Why? Black absorbs too much heat.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Get what you want stop getting other people opinion about what you want. Dang it.
Resale value cloth (vs) leather Leather will WIN but it's YOUR CHOICE
Sponsored