Sponsored

To Lift or Not to Lift that is the question....(Newbie here)

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
New Jeep owner here and I'm debating over whether to lift or not. I would like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly to lifting a Jeep. If I lift it would be between a 2, 3 or 3.5in, haven't decided which yet. Any feedback would be great.
Sponsored

WestKY

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4, Jl 2Dr Sport Granite Cyrstal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Try it without the lift first,it's going to depend on terrain and your skill and acquired techniques. Depending where your riding lift might be needed, simple trails and fire roads maybe not. My advice figure out your vehicle capability and limitations for your riding style and preference.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
A lift provides space for larger tires, larger tires provide improved ground clearance. If you don't need extra ground clearance, you won't need larger tires and you won't need a lift. Identify your needs first. If just for looks, then open your wallet.

Reactions: Ren

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
I went just for looks, it sure looks gooooood. 2"...35" tire.... it really requires big hop and handle to get in...for average guy. My rule is if you can afford it get what ever you want to get. Want over need lol.

Sponsored

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I say lift, I don’t do much off road but like the looks.

Went from this

1400A2AD-EF3E-4333-B493-F41A71AD14C4.jpeg

To this

1A4EC82A-6CD8-4BD4-A39D-027992BD40BD.jpeg
Good lookin Sahara, which lift did you use to get there?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good lookin Sahara, which lift did you use to get there?
I went with a Rough Country budge boost, basically it uses existing springs and shocks, was wanting a more elaborate boost suspension but after talking to @TTEChris of Tankcustoms he suggested the Rough Country to suit my needs, I’m not a serious rock crawler and the Sahara is my daily driver so using this kit it maintains the factory ride and still gives me clearance to run 35’s to allow me to do some off roadimg and beach running.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Like Will, I don't do any serious off roading, which is why I bought a Sahara instead of a Rubicon. Well that and I wanted all the fancy stuff. I'm currently stock, but will be installing a lift at some point. For me it's more about the look than anything else. When I do venture off the pavement it's to go hiking, camping or hunting so all the trails I'm on are decent condition. I'm not rock crawling, and if there's a big mud hole I'll go around it if I can. If you are doing similar stuff you CAN do it stock, but a lift might give you a little extra cushion and it looks good.
FWIW I plan to do a 2" kit (or 2.5 depending on the kit I go with), and keeping my stock tires. I opted for the optional Tech Gray rims with the optional A/T tires (rather than all season tires), so I have no intention of changing my rims or tires. My stock set works just fine for what I'm using my Jeep. I figure 2" will look fine with my stock combo and it saves me the added expense. I've had 35's (on Rams) and I don't get all the hype about them. 33's or 34's do just as well unless you're doing anything serious. If you want 35's they'll fit with a 2" lift so that's an option if you want them.
Long story short. I say lift it, but mostly because it looks good. Of course you may have bigger off road plans than me, in which case a lift is probably a good idea for function too.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh yeah I forgot the pros and cons you asked about. Having lifted many vehicles using various methods, there are a few common pros/cons.
The good:
It looks good (completely opinion though, so this could be a con for some people I guess).
You can fit bigger tires.
You have more ground clearance.
The bad:
Some kits ride rougher than stock.
Some kits are very expensive.
The ugly:
Some cheap kits leave important parts out to reduce the cost. This is primarily a concern with kits that offer a lot of lift for a little price. Not so much an issue with 2" kits. I'm talking about cheap kits that offer 3-4". You need to be cautious that you don't have to buy a bunch of extra stuff to make it usable. Nothing is uglier than having to spend an extra $500 on stuff, to be able to fully use your Jeep because the cheap kit won't let the suspension travel without issues. For example Rough Country has a 3.5" kit for $550, which sound great. Except you have replace the drive shaft or risk damage if the suspension reaches full travel. Sure it works on the road, but that's just shady. That same kit with new drive shaft and control arms is $1300 for the same 3.5", but in this case it's usable.
So the "ugly" is that you have to watch out for kits that aren't exactly what they seem to be.

Sponsored

clb616

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Oh yeah I forgot the pros and cons you asked about. Having lifted many vehicles using various methods, there are a few common pros/cons.
The good:
It looks good (completely opinion though, so this could be a con for some people I guess).
You can fit bigger tires.
You have more ground clearance.
The bad:
Some kits ride rougher than stock.
Some kits are very expensive.
The ugly:
Some cheap kits leave important parts out to reduce the cost. This is primarily a concern with kits that offer a lot of lift for a little price. Not so much an issue with 2" kits. I'm talking about cheap kits that offer 3-4". You need to be cautious that you don't have to buy a bunch of extra stuff to make it usable. Nothing is uglier than having to spend an extra $500 on stuff, to be able to fully use your Jeep because the cheap kit won't let the suspension travel without issues. For example Rough Country has a 3.5" kit for $550, which sound great. Except you have replace the drive shaft or risk damage if the suspension reaches full travel. Sure it works on the road, but that's just shady. That same kit with new drive shaft and control arms is $1300 for the same 3.5", but in this case it's usable.
So the "ugly" is that you have to watch out for kits that aren't exactly what they seem to be.
The $1300 3.5" kit you are referencing...is that Rough Country? Or was it from somewhere else?

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not a serious rock crawler and the Sahara is my daily driver so using this kit it maintains the factory ride and still gives me clearance to run 35’s to allow me to do some off roadimg and beach running.
My biggest concern is the ride and also the gas mileage. Did you see any change (even small) in MPG? My Sahara is right in the sweet spot on those two criteria and I hate to ruin it with a lift and tire change. I do like your jeep's look though and good for you in making a budget choice. I don't rock climb, but I am not a fan of my stock wheels.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest concern is the ride and also the gas mileage. Did you see any change (even small) in MPG? My Sahara is right in the sweet spot on those two criteria and I hate to ruin it with a lift and tire change. I do like your jeep's look though and good for you in making a budget choice. I don't rock climb, but I am not a fan of my stock wheels.
Yes I did lose some mpg’s But was expecting that, there honestly is no way around not losing mpg’s when you take a brick that sits on tires and raise it up and then make the tires wider and heavier, it’s not so much the weight as my new setup only added maybe 150 lbs it’s the roller mass of the tires as they are wider and heavier so it takes more energy to get them rolling and keep them rolling.

I was getting about 20-21 and now get 19-20 as long as I keep my foot off the pedal

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a Rough Country budge boost, basically it uses existing springs and shocks, was wanting a more elaborate boost suspension but after talking to @TTEChris of Tankcustoms he suggested the Rough Country to suit my needs, I’m not a serious rock crawler and the Sahara is my daily driver so using this kit it maintains the factory ride and still gives me clearance to run 35’s to allow me to do some off roadimg and beach running.
I would double check the shocks not needing replaced. Dealer installed Tuff Country 2" spacers in mine before i purchased. I asked "how do you move the axle 2 inches further from the shock mounts and not require longer shocks? They told me supplier said not required. I read the directions for install which stated OEM need to be replaced. Dealer looked into by contacting TC and they said the instructions have been revised 3 times and still say 2 different things.

TC told them yes you need 2" longer shocks. In addition having bigger and heavier tires getting something better than the OEM shocks will improve control of those bigger tires.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would double check the shocks not needing replaced. Dealer installed Tuff Country 2" spacers in mine before i purchased. I asked "how do you move the axle 2 inches further from the shock mounts and not require longer shocks? They told me supplier said not required. I read the directions for install which stated OEM need to be replaced. Dealer looked into by contacting RC and they said the instructions have been revised 3 times and still say 2 different things.

RC told them yes you need 2" longer shocks. In addition having bigger and heavier tires getting something better than the OEM shocks will improve control of those bigger tires.
I’m sure @TTEChris from Tankscutom can chime in and better explain than me, I do know that extenders are used so shocks have the same travel I believe but I’m sure Chris can explain it better
Sponsored