lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Hello all,

I purchased my first jeep off the lot in 2020 a 2.0T 4 door base. I have driven 50k miles on it, and my crankcase is full of fuel. I believe that i have a piston issue or cylinder problem, though it could be something related to the fuel pressure sensor. When i remove my oil filler cap oil spits out, which i remove my PCV hose the jeep never idles high or dies.

I am having it towed to the dealership to most likely have the engine replaced but i would imagine that could take months.

My question for all of you is should I trade that jeep in with all the parts on it and get something else, or should I return it to stock and trade it in and get another jeep. I’m very hesitant to want to get another 2.0T but also unsure of the 3.6L, and how long/hard it is to work on compared To the 2.0T.

Im really feeling beat down over this engine failure and rather disappointed. What are your opinions or advice?
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, you know what you like and don't like after 50K miles. I would start new with different parts if it were me, although a few things would be the same. I would keep the ARB dual compressor and the warn winch. I would take the device holders off (phone, 67 designs stuff) and the patches on my headliner.

Otherwise, I would probably get new/different stuff.

As far as the 3.6.... I like it. this is my 4th one. 2 JK's a WK2 and my JL. I don't have the 48v mild hybrid, so I cant make a recommendation on that.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Hello all,

I purchased my first jeep off the lot in 2020 a 2.0T 4 door base. I have driven 50k miles on it, and my crankcase is full of fuel. I believe that i have a piston issue or cylinder problem, though it could be something related to the fuel pressure sensor. When i remove my oil filler cap oil spits out, which i remove my PCV hose the jeep never idles high or dies.

I am having it towed to the dealership to most likely have the engine replaced but i would imagine that could take months.

My question for all of you is should I trade that jeep in with all the parts on it and get something else, or should I return it to stock and trade it in and get another jeep. I’m very hesitant to want to get another 2.0T but also unsure of the 3.6L, and how long/hard it is to work on compared To the 2.0T.

Im really feeling beat down over this engine failure and rather disappointed. What are your opinions or advice?
The 3.6 is a great engine. your issue with the 2.0 could be a fluke.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Well, you know what you like and don't like after 50K miles. I would start new with different parts if it were me, although a few things would be the same. I would keep the ARB dual compressor and the warn winch. I would take the device holders off (phone, 67 designs stuff) and the patches on my headliner.

Otherwise, I would probably get new/different stuff.

As far as the 3.6.... I like it. this is my 4th one. 2 JK's a WK2 and my JL. I don't have the 48v mild hybrid, so I cant make a recommendation on that.
Budget permitting i would do all new parts but, unfortunately pretty much all of my suspension and steering components, wheels and tires have less than 18k miles on them. I essentially just got everything installed. I have 8 control arms waiting to be installed too.

The 3.6 is a great engine. your issue with the 2.0 could be a fluke.
I have been reading through the Chrysler tech information and i have yet to see too many instances like this. I do not have the e-torque option. I have seen a few cases of rods blowing out the case. I was have an extreme spark knock, ive never heard a knock so loud in my life. I could close the hood and stand 100 feet away and still hear it loud and clear. When i shut my engine off i can hear my pistons metal on metal slowing down. Its a true shame.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Dude, sounds like you have a lot invested. It would be hard to bite the bullet and take a loss on all of the installed parts. Some stuff you can take, but installation of the lift etc will be a loss. If it were me, i would wait it out and expect a loaner in the mean time.

Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
I know this will ruffle a few feathers here but this and everything Ive seen being in the used car business is why I want nothing to do with any 2.0T. Not just Jeep but the whole 2.0T configuration from most manufacturers. We see this type of stuff quite frequently. Everyone loves them new, rave about them. Of course they love them, they have new ones with fairly low miles lol. Then after a few miles pile up a larger than normal percentage end up with major issues. Take that thing out behind the barn and shoot it or trade it. Strip what you can swap onto another one and get yourself a 3.6.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Sounds like you might have had a fuel injector stuck open.

If the engine is replaced with a new one under warranty, why would you want to get rid of it?

Reactions: VNT

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
If under warranty give them a chance to fix the issue. Also open a ticket with Jeep so the issue can be tracked. Jeep corporate also offered rental reimbursement while warranty work is getting done and to gave me updates when I had an issue. Either way it should get fixed, or maybe a new engine out of it. Also in CA if multiple visits adds to 30 days then the lemon law goes into effect.

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Other then the suspension and bumpers, I would remove all the aftermarket parts. I keep all of my stock parts and I wouldn’t hesitate to put it all back on the Jeep. I would even pull my reid knuckles, diff covers and axle shafts.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If you think you’ll re-use some parts it is probably worth removing them. If you think you’ll go a different direction it’s a toss up. Decide if it’s worth your time. For a lot of us, it isn’t. Just take the hit and start clean. Some people are efficient at un-install and more importantly good at re-sell. I suck at craigslist and don’t have facebook, so I’m not going to recover funds that way.

Sponsored

Enfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Willys
GDI engines are just asking for trouble in a vehicle that you're planning to keep long term.

Engineering Explained did a video on problems associated direct injection that describes your problem. Not necessarily caused by some kind of parts failure, but rather just a known problem with GDI engines when they're running cold.

I didn't have any problems with my 2.0l when I had it, but the 3.6l is a much, much more proven platform, being 12 years old and with 10 million produced as of 2019. There are examples of 3.6l Pentastars lasting 600 000 miles. Fleet engine used in cop cars, work trucks, vans etc. How are these 2.0l turbos going to be running 10 years from now?

If you want to stay in a Jeep, and you're thinking of keeping your vehicle for the long term, I would try to get as much money or residual value out of your vehicle and then trade in on a 3.6l spec'd out for yourself.

Last edited:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
return to stock. I just had a few good faith estimates done to see what my jeep is worth traded in and their offers were laughable. unless you sell it privately you won't get a great dealer offer. They're still riding their ultra high prices wave.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

return to stock. I just had a few good faith estimates done to see what my jeep is worth traded in and their offers were laughable. unless you sell it privately you won't get a great dealer offer. They're still riding their ultra high prices wave.
Has the used vehicle market turned around? Recently they've been paying insane prices for used Wranglers.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

they’ve def been selling them for insane prices. I got offered a very offense trade in value for my Jeep.
They've also been buying them for insane prices, as many (including myself) have reported here. It's just supply and demand.
Sponsored