Sponsored

To Jeep Jl or not to Jeep JL, that is the question.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Hi everyone. I, like many of you, I am re-obsessed with the topic of the new JL. However, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, that, perhaps some of you can help me with. I had a New Wrangler in 90, New 92, New 95, and then a new special order TJ in 97. So 20 years or so later, I'm ready and wanting to do it again. I've since had Land Rovers, 4Runners, Pathfinders, Ford F150's and many more vehicles of every type including a new at the time 2012 Grand Sport Vette. etc. Now a 16 Kia Sorento SXL V6, every option including cooled Napa leather seats. Not really something I need. With all that said, I've called every rental car agency to Rent a JL to spend a couple of days driving one to get an idea if I find the new Wrangler easy enough to live with for a daily driver. However, NO ONE in Connecticut has one. Dealers won't let them out for more then a somewhat extended test drive. So, do you think living with the new Jeep will be something that I will love again, or not be something I could live with for a daily driver life for me. As you see, I've had 4 Wranglers in the past and loved them. I even put 67K miles on my 90 in 2 years during a sales job and I loved it. However, I was younger then. I know you can't really answer this question in full as none of you could know my exact needs, but, do any of you think it's likely I will love it again, or it will quickly get tiring considering I've had many fairly comfortable and quiet vehicles since then. My wife has a Mazda CX-5 and that is a little noisy and not a fantastic ride and I'm perfectly happy driving it overall. Any opinions?. As much as you think you might be able to give me any realistic expectations. Thank you very much.
Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
You are on the JL forum, so I think you want talked into it and you have a history with the Wrangler. Is there an alternative or would you keep the Kia?

The JL drives better than several of the past vehicles you mentioned on your list, and has many modern amenities. No cooled seats but the top and doors come off so there’s that. It’s not the best highway vehicle, but fairly comfortable. If you aren’t just in love with the look, aren’t doing a lot of off-roading, or don’t care about the top and doors coming off, then there may be better or at least more comfortable options for the premium you pay for the Wrangler.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I recently completed a 750 mile trip in mine and thought it was comfy as can be. I even have the soft top and don't think the noise level is any different, and maybe even better, than my Sport JKU's and JLU were with hard tops.

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Base on the number of vehicles you say you have had over the past 20+ years, then I would guess you wouldn't keep a new JL long either.
However, the Wrangler has come a long way in refinement since what you owned 20 years ago. Weather that's good or not is debatable for some.
It's as much a daily driver as anything else these days.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
You say Land Rover, 4Runner, Pathfinder......KIA, sorry but you have been going downhill with respect to the Wrangler. Further and further away lol.
KIA is a sedan compared to the Wrangler. Two extremes of the spectrum.
Like someone else above said, this is the Wrangler forum and we love this things. Personally the Rubicon is only my second Jeep after a CJ in the 70s. In between Land Rovers ,Land Cruisers, Patrols, MB G. And I love my Rubicon.

Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
6000 mile roadtrip for 5 of us + gear in our JLUR this Summer. Center rear seat was not the most popular, but was soooo much more comfortable of a road tripper overall than our 2014 4-Runner - even with the wrangler steering against cross winds. Our LR3 was better cross country, but the JL way more fun off road.

Of course no way to really know, but based on your write-up I highly suspect you'd be impressed and happy with a JL decision. Extended test drive in order, best of luck!

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I’ve had two Yj’s That were both built to my liking. Having said that, there is no way that I’d drive one everyday. They were about like driving a John Deere. I’ve also owned numerous vehicles from a Mini Countryman s all 4, mustangs, Toyota fj, too many vw’s, full size trucks, and a 17 Acadia Denali. The vehicle I loved the most prior to the JLUR, was my Fj. It was fun, different, and extremely capable. My last vehicle just prior to the JLUR was a 17 Silverado crew cab Ltz plus. Had everything one would ever want. Decent ride, decent power, good size, luxurious. The only problem was it wasn’t fun. It was practical, but not interesting. Besides, I’ve had quite a few full size pickups.

The only option that I would like to have which I’ve had in numerous other vehicles is cooled seats. I went with cloth for the first time in over a decade just because I didn’t want to sit on hot and sticky leather on the trail.

Go for the JL. Get all the options. You won’t feel like you are missing anything. This is a super refined Jeep.
Sponsored