Sponsored

To "Half Doors or not to Half Doors, THAT is the question?"

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
100%. I have had a couple issues where I bought parts and fixed it myself, to avoid the dealer.
I could align the half doors if I had them, I'm just saying the price is high to still have to DIY.
Can't you say that about the Wrangler as a whole? This thing requires more tinkering than any other automobile I've owned.
Sponsored

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I ordered half doors and I’m 50/50 whether I would order them again. I can’t find a good use case. I don’t like the fabric uppers - look stupid and flap on the highway despot attempted adjustments. Have tried to adjust but can’t drive comfortably over 65 without flapping. I like the look of half doors, but the uppers are too cumbersome to carry in the Jeep. I have the SOT and can take the back windows in the back and drive faster with hard doors. I have driven several long trips and don’t bring the half door uppers. Switching doors and uppers is pretty cumbersome and the Store-a-Door cart has been back ordered for months. If I used my Jeep purely as a non daily driver for local drives and had a door cart it would be easier. Not sure I would buy the half doors again.

Blue392

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Wrangler
I debated the half doors when ordering. I would have done the SOT if not for the half door option. I think the SOT is the best top but didn’t love the look of it with the half doors so I stayed with the hard top and got a soft top after. I have the dual doors on mine and love the way they look with the top off. One downside is that it’s very windy at highway speeds but I really don’t mind. I’m pretty sure the half doors made my order to delivery timing longer. The half doors went right on, worked and lined up great. I didn’t do any adjusting on the half doors but I never read the instructions. Here are a few pics. It took me a lot of searching to find good pics of a 392 with half doors. Hope this helps!

0D2D7943-5EC9-48BD-A456-4FDE93A4EC89.jpeg

9C2A0275-CFFA-404F-A087-A45AA416DB3D.jpeg

F2C01D44-EF02-48E8-95ED-CD4A04BC2B0E.jpeg

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I ordered half doors and I’m 50/50 whether I would order them again. I can’t find a good use case. I don’t like the fabric uppers - look stupid and flap on the highway despot attempted adjustments. Have tried to adjust but can’t drive comfortably over 65 without flapping. I like the look of half doors, but the uppers are too cumbersome to carry in the Jeep. I have the SOT and can take the back windows in the back and drive faster with hard doors. I have driven several long trips and don’t bring the half door uppers. Switching doors and uppers is pretty cumbersome and the Store-a-Door cart has been back ordered for months. If I used my Jeep purely as a non daily driver for local drives and had a door cart it would be easier. Not sure I would buy the half doors again.
I agree with you. I wouldn't recommend half doors for freeway driving with uppers on... The fabric uppers don't bother some folks, but I think they're pretty lousy. If they were plastic frames outside (like the fender flares, maybe even painted like that too) and had glass or plexiglass sliding windows, that would be a much more interesting configuration...

That being said, I didn't want the half doors for the uppers. I'll keep them on hand to use if I absolutely must, but I'll avoid it as much as possible. I love the half doors for what they are - a more solid (safer? more legal?) version of a tube door. They are seriously overpriced though.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I didn’t order them because I know they would rarely get used due to the PITA of changing them for a day trip.Chintzy uppers,and storage of unused doors.If Bronco did anything right it’s the frameless doors.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I have kids and power windows were a must for my guys in the rear. I had 1/2 doors on my TJ and YJ and the zipper windows drove me nuts. Plastic scratches so easily that just trying to keep my soft top windows clean makes my brain hurt.
$4000 to me is way too much since I have no desire for them. Very easy to rip my doors off when I want a more open feel. Enjoy the new Jeep!

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Honestly I love them. You also can’t get them after market in this quality, so I snapped them up when I ordered my 392. I live in CA though where at least half the year they will be on there.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Honestly I love them. You also can’t get them after market in this quality, so I snapped them up when I ordered my 392. I live in CA though where at least half the year they will be on there.
Heck, I can only leave these on 3 or 4 months out of the year (I'm in MA) and I still think they are worth it. I have young children who keep asking to take the back doors off. I won't do it but the half doors make me feel better (who knows what the safety benefit of half doors really is). I also live in a town where some people would call the cops on someone with no doors for their young children so at a minimum, it keeps that at bay.

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Heck, I can only leave these on 3 or 4 months out of the year (I'm in MA) and I still think they are worth it. I have young children who keep asking to take the back doors off. I won't do it but the half doors make me feel better (who knows what the safety benefit of half doors really is). I also live in a town where some people would call the cops on someone with no doors for their young children so at a minimum, it keeps that at bay.
Funny enough my two young kids beg for the same thing. We came to an agreement that it was okay on local roads, but nothing over 35 MPH. Completely arbitrary but made my wife happy. However the dog is now coming with us and she will slip right out (golden retriever puppy) without the half doors. So I'm with you, half door make everyone feel better, even if its just in our heads.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
At 4k I wouldnt. You can get some really nice mods for 4k. But if you dont care about that and want to spend the money. Why not?. I think they look great.

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Live in the Washington DC area ... could see a few months where the factory half doors would be great...trying to weigh that against the PIA in removal, storage, alignment, etc. ... leaning to saving the $4K, but also wonder if a rare-ish option (half-doors) on a rare model (392) will have a good ROI.

Any full-door folks regretting NOT getting half doors?

Any half-door folks wishing they did not?
I had them on my 392, then sold them off. Here is what I did not like:

1) Color match on granite metallic was WAY off. It was really bad and noticable, it was a joke more than anything. Not sure if Jeep has a handle on this yet.
2) When drive around with the tops on, then want to take them off, no real safe place to put them where I'm worried they will fly out, or if someone would take them when parked
3) When drive around without the tops on, not only is there too low security (but then if it rains or gets colder in evening, unless I brought them with (see number 2) I get cold and wet

Overall the bang for buck just wasn't there for me. I would have only used them when off roading for a full day, in which case I can just take the doors off. Just wasn't worth the hassle.

taxjoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (ordered 4/3/21)
I ordered half doors on my 2021 2-door snazzberry Rubicon. I am sure the half doors caused some delay (ordered in April 2021 and delivered June 12, 2021). I was lucky, the paint match was perfect on mine and no adjustments were required to fit the half doors or the uppers. I really like the look of the half doors and the best part was that the adjustable mirror, proximity keyless entry, blind spot warning light, and the power door lock buttons work perfectly. I like to be able to rest my arm on the door and the half doors just give a good platform for that without the slot for the window there. To me, it just looks better than the full door with the top down (as others have said). I would order them again if I had to do it all over.

Now for the bad part. Yes, the uppers are a bit flimsy at highway speed. But, I don't plan to use my half doors to ride on the highway. I use the half doors for short commutes and to head out on the trails. There is a concern for security but there are solutions for this like a lock box in the back. Yes, the uppers with the zipper window aren't great. You really can't rest your arm for fear you will put a crease in the plastic window. I only open them when going through a drive through. I had some trouble getting the electric cable to properly connect. Unless you get it the wire harness connector aligned just right, some or all of the electronics won't work. It took me about four tries before I figured out how to properly align and connect the electric harness.

There is no doubt these are an expensive option (even when ordering for a 2-door). But, I really wanted them to match the rest of the jeep (again, I got lucky that my paint matched) and have all of the electronics work. I ordered the upper body graphic and the graphic was not applied to the half doors. My dealer installed the graphic on the half doors under warranty. I posted pictures of this on another half door thread in this forum (too lazy to dig up the link).

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
I am in the same boat with kids- wife would never let me take the doors all the way off and put the kids in the jeep, but she agreed to half doors.

Does anyone know the best way to buy factory half doors? I can't seem to find a place online that has them as a set fully assembled. Of course I would have to get them painted to match my jeep, but otherwise looking for a fully assembled set for a 4-door JLUR... any help is much appreciated!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the same boat with kids- wife would never let me take the doors all the way off and put the kids in the jeep, but she agreed to half doors.

Does anyone know the best way to buy factory half doors? I can't seem to find a place online that has them as a set fully assembled. Of course I would have to get them painted to match my jeep, but otherwise looking for a fully assembled set for a 4-door JLUR... any help is much appreciated!
No one offering fully assembled package yet. Best bet is to keep eye out for someone selling, even if they need to be repainted.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
That is the exact reason I sold mine.

I like long road trips across country. It will be very rare I drive from the garage, to the local off road park and its sunny the entire time.

No interest in using the doors with the uppers.
Sponsored