To "Half Doors or not to Half Doors, THAT is the question?"

swedejohanson

First Name
Swede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 50i
Live in the Washington DC area ... could see a few months where the factory half doors would be great...trying to weigh that against the PIA in removal, storage, alignment, etc. ... leaning to saving the $4K, but also wonder if a rare-ish option (half-doors) on a rare model (392) will have a good ROI.

Any full-door folks regretting NOT getting half doors?

Any half-door folks wishing they did not?
Sponsored

Muzakman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

I haven’t gotten my jeep yet, but I am having the factory install the doors off mirror kit in anticipation of picking up some tube doors at some point.
Looked at the half door group, wasn’t sure I liked the “window” you have to zip up and down to open

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Make sure you understand all the adjustments that are necessary for the half doors.

On the JK, you could order with just the half doors. They were aligned properly from the factory and you never had to remove them unless you wanted to.

On the JL, it ships with full doors installed and you, obviously, have to install the half doors yourself when the time comes. That means adjusting them, too. They’re not 100% plug and play.

Apparently the uppers are also fussier than on the JK, which is a shame.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I don't see the appeal, they look like 3/4 doors to me.
A true half door that has some protection I would think about, but doorless or tubes are of no interest to me.

SFWSCX3

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 05 Cayenne Turbo, 14 X5 D 21 JLURD
Live in the Washington DC area ... could see a few months where the factory half doors would be great...trying to weigh that against the PIA in removal, storage, alignment, etc. ... leaning to saving the $4K, but also wonder if a rare-ish option (half-doors) on a rare model (392) will have a good ROI.

Any full-door folks regretting NOT getting half doors?

Any half-door folks wishing they did not?
YOLO- I bought them. Of course, I don’t have the jeep yet!

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you'll have any problem selling them if you get them and end up not liking them.

I am searching like hell right now for a set near me and they are very hard to find. Many others are looking as well.

J33pgrl

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX STI
I ordered them with my Jeep. Still waiting for it. 100x better than the Bestop soft doors I had for my JK. I just hope I get to use them a bit before the cold PA winter.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you'll have any problem selling them if you get them and end up not liking them.

I am searching like hell right now for a set near me and they are very hard to find. Many others are looking as well.
THIS! Plenty of people out there that want the half doors but already have their JL. You could probably line up a buyer before you even take delivery these days.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I got half doors with my 392. I'm in MA and I like them a lot. Alignment is easy. There are videos online and it takes 20 minutes when you first install the doors. Then you're good.

They're very light so it's only just a little more work than taking off your full doors. However, I drive this and my other car equally so I generally just leave the doors off or go half doors in my Jeep and take my other car if I go to a place where that's not feasible. If this were my only vehicle, not sure I'd want the hassle of constantly having to take doors off/put them on.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
THIS! Plenty of people out there that want the half doors but already have their JL. You could probably line up a buyer before you even take delivery these days.
I will echo this sentiment. I originally placed an order for my 392 that did not include half doors. I got sick of waiting and ended up picking up an in stock unit that had half doors. I posted about this in one of the Facebook groups and noted that I was undecided on whether to keep the half doors and that I was going to decide after I put the doors on that weekend. Before the weekend came around, I had 4 or 5 offers for the half doors, most above $4,000.

Sponsored

TMD78

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again with JL#3, 2 door Willys
I ordered them with my build (still waiting). I like the look of them when the top is off, for some reason the frame of the full door just bugs me And looks ‘wrong” IMO. Figured if i change my mind, they’ll be easy to sell as I think sting gray is a pretty common color, but it was still hard accepting the cost. not a fan of the zip window that flaps down (but no personal experience yet), but figure I’ll switch between full doors/half doors depending on the season.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I ordered the half doors with my snazzberry JLURD, I orderd them for a few reasons.
First I really like the look of the half doors with the top removed.
Second I plan to tow the Jeep behind my RV and removing the uppers is easier than finding a place to store 4 full doors while on vacation.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Make sure you understand all the adjustments that are necessary for the half doors.

On the JK, you could order with just the half doors. They were aligned properly from the factory and you never had to remove them unless you wanted to.

On the JL, it ships with full doors installed and you, obviously, have to install the half doors yourself when the time comes. That means adjusting them, too. They’re not 100% plug and play.

Apparently the uppers are also fussier than on the JK, which is a shame.
Good Lord, at $4k or whatever you think they could align them before they ship. This is disappointing.
Sponsored