Sponsored

To go extreme recon or not for daily

SWVA JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Wrangler
I think what you are used to can make the mpg seem amazing or terrible. My tundra averages 12-13 mpg. My wife’s Yukon does better but takes premium. Our 2.0 JLUR is the best mpg we have, and way more fun than the others!
Side note, it is amazing how the mpgs drop past 70mph. I guess it’s the aerodynamics of a brick but it drops. Oh well, can’t drive 70 on interstate so I will eat it.
Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
My dad lives at silver lake sand dunes so most off roading will be there but who knows maybe after
If it's just to go to Silver Lake, I'm not sure it makes sense to get the XR just for that. I mean it wouldn't hurt, but you don't need 35's to go there. Since it sounds like you're in the area, you may want to check out badlands too.

I love my JLUR and take the best care of it, but I'm starting to wonder if I should trade it in for an XR. I'm tired of scraping the skid plates up on trails and I'd like to upgrade to 35's. I figured between the tires, suspension, and gear ratio, it would be cheaper to trade it in for a new jeep. Just not sure how it would drive compared to what I have, and it sounds like it drives pretty good.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
My '21 Willys 2 door manual non Etorque V6 with 33's and 4.11s gets about 2-3 mpg more than my '23 XR Etorque V6, 4.56 geared on 35's auto. For me, fuel economy is a non issue when deciding on a model. Get what you want and you'll only have to buy it once.

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

Not getting the XR package is my biggest regret when looking back on my ordered Willys Sport. The cost of it (for 2023 models) for what you get is more than worth it.

roobies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 540i, 2023 JLUR
Not getting the XR package is my biggest regret when looking back on my ordered Willys Sport. The cost of it (for 2023 models) for what you get is more than worth it.
probably the only thing I wish we wouldnt have skipped on for the 2023 we ordered/received

Sponsored

number9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
Loving my 23 Rubicon XR 2.0T, 4.56. Just turned 500 miles so it's still breaking in but dash is telling me 18.9 MPG around town. Way better than the 2010 3.8 6 speed it replaced. Trying to get the tire pressure right. 35 psi for a long time, just dropped to 33. See how that goes.
It puts a smile on my face :)

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Purchase what you want. You don't buy a jeep for gas milage. There are wants and needs. Purchase your needs first then splurge on what you want. Hell if you die and never experience some fun in life what good is that. I remember a saying by someone years ago, (if I die and owe 5 million dollars no worries).

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Wondering what mpg difference I could expect with and without extreme recon on the 2.0t. Gonna order a 2024 Willy’s and love the look of the extreme recon package and can’t decide if i want to sacrifice mpg. What kind of mpg are you guys getting with the 2.0t and rx package? Willys now comes with 33 inch tires so not as big of difference vs pas years 32inch tires. Daily driver with a small commute of 38 miles total to work and back weekdays
Did you buy a Prius or something to have fun with

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If fuel economy is a real issue, Jeep is NOT the answer. With that said, how are you going to use it? For a DD with occasional off road the regulat model is More than adequate..

Sponsored

MOOG5050

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
I really don’t understand the MPG concern if buying a wrangler but my 23xr on 37s gets about 16.5 mixed driving. Still better than my raptor by 2mpg. The XR is a great value imo.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
My story....

I bought a new 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 reg cab SWB 4x4 (5.2/auto) in 96 as a daily driver. Fast forward to 2008 when in WA gas was $4.50 a gallon, and I was going to have a bit of a commute. So I added a 2008 Toyota Yaris (1500cc stick shift 2-door) as a new daily driver, and to keep the miles off my truck. Truck got 11-12 MPG; Yota got low/mid 30's. That was fine (in 2008 I also bought a 98 TJ for fun - gets ~ 15 - 16 MPG). Also since 1989 have had a 1946 WILLYS CJ2A for fun.

Truck didn't really work as a travel vehicle for my wife and me (and no room for the dogs - regular cab). Yota was fun to drive, but not a good travel vehicle for other than just me, and not 4WD.

Anyways, recently I decided I wanted a comfortable daily driver that I could take my wife and dogs on trips. Wife has a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek that gets mid - upper 30's MPG. Nice car, a little on the small side, and my legs cramp driving it long distances as I'm sitting too low to the floor. And I don't have the long commute anymore.

Solution: Got rid of the truck and Yota (will admit I miss the truck), and facory ordered a 2023 JLU Willys XR 2.0T. Love it. Have about 1200 miles on it so far, and getting 18 - 20 MPG right now. It puts a smile on my face when I drive it, and it is big enough (but not too big) for the wife/dogs/luggage. The JLU has more HP and torque than the V8 that was in my 96 Dodge truck. I find it very comfortable to drive (especially after adding the Desert Does It shorty front seat spacer lift). I pretty much optioned it well other than the nannys and the factory headliner. If I need to do "truck" stuff, I got the tow package, and U-Haul is just a few minutes from the house. To rent an open trailer is like $20/day.

Definitely get the XR package - don't have regrets. Don't get "almost" what you wanted. Guaranteed the first time you park your non-XR Jeep next to a JLU with 35" tires you'll be wanting 35" tires on your Jeep.

Last edited:

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Ya know, my 2 door Willys obviously isn't XR but I put 33" Rubi takeoffs on it and some Rubi springs, and then my mileage improved. You can see the uptick on fuelly.
I don't know how, I don't know why. I don't drive any differently. And I still use the same station and pump and put the same amount of fuel into it.
YMMV.

WranglerFreak

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Rubicon
23 JLU with XR package and smiling everyday...my modded 15 JKU caused way more for the lift, wheels, rear tire carrier than the roughly $4000 and I have a factory warranty. 3200 miles on it and I have seen as high as 21 mpg to low of 13, depends on my foot.

LJandJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2024 JL 4xe Rubicon
I think it's well documented that there's a large portion of Rubicon owners that don't go off road. Aside from looks, what Rubicon features are even used on the street?
Wish I could like this comment twice.
Sponsored