To go extreme recon or not for daily

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
My DD is an XR 2023 Etorque. Having owned many types of JLs, I can say for sure that the difference in MPG between a non XR to an XR is about 1 to 1.5 mpg.
Steering feels slightly heavier to drive but also wanders less (subjective opinion).
Love it as a daily driver. Also due to better springs and beefier suspension, bumps and road imperfections are hardly noticeable. Go for it.

You also get more Jeep Waves on an XR. ;)
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You nailed it. I have never considered fuel economy in my car purchasing decision. I buy what I like, drive how I like. If I get 12mpg fine... if I get over 20mpg that's fine too. The gas money is negligible in the grand scheme of things, especially if you're considering a brick shaped Wrangler that you intend to modify.

I drove a gen 2 Viper for a few years... got single digit mpg and loved every second of it.
My commuter car/company vehicle is a cmaxx. Gets 36mpg and I never plug it in. They pay for the gas and provide the vehicle so I don't care what it is. When it comes to personal vehicles, the Jeep is what we usually drive, but my other vehicle is my ram rebel on 35's which also gets 15mpg being driven hard. I don't worry about fuel mileage.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
"In for a penny, in for a pound"
You're not buying a Prius, you're buying a Jeep, get it the way you want and screw MPG.
With all those nice electric cars coming out for the lady folks and such the oil demand should go down and so should gas prices anyways 🤣

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
OP, another way to ask your question is: will I eventually get 35s? and will 35s be enough? (and do I like KO2s?) If the answer is yes, then you'll save a lot of money getting the XR package because you won't be buying components you immediately replace with other components you buy. That savings will make up for the small gas cost difference for a long time.

For someone who really wanted to drive with 33s for a while to decide, it could be worth it to wait and do lift/tires later. Or for someone who knows they'll go right past 35s to 37s, it can might make sense to skip XR and do the right lift for that.

I considered the XR for my '22 JLR but if I remember right it wasn't offered for the 2door and that was a requirement for me. Plus I wanted to do the lift a different way so would not have saved $ with the XR lift, and the XR package didn't have as many upgrades for the Rubicon model as it did for the Willys that year.

bottom line: If you know how you want your Jeep to end up, it's straightforward to cost out the XR features and decide. From our responses here, you can tell the mpg will not be a huge difference, but the only way to know for sure is to wait on the XR and drive it both ways. That's a costly bit of knowledge though.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Duh, have you ever seen someone sad on a jetski?
Or when I was driving my ~6mpg on min 100 octane GTX, or ~8mpg L79 powered “5” (MD). Hell, the highest mpg and slowest “car” this old gear head has ever owned was a Corvette, also, blown 454 V drive is thirsty water toy. You spend money on what feeds your passion and joy. Some do on golf, pro sports, vacations in the Bahamas and so on. This is mine, souped up V10 Dodge PU is about the same. All mpg numbers are “About”, it is NOT a priority. :)
Jeep Wrangler JL To go extreme recon or not for daily E4D10B6C-29A6-47D2-93B1-EE12D3D74F8C
…. I love to Drive, if you’re priority is high mpg Transportation there are better options than Wrangler, 4wd’s included.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I think my own "yes" vote on a new XR will end up working out well. I wouldn't have bought it if I was splitting hairs over fuel mileage or if I had a long daily commute.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
If I cared about gas mileage, I wouldn't have bought a Jeep of any type again 😝

That said, buy what you will enjoy. You can't take money with you, you only live once, etc *insert every other life/money cliche'*

I love mine, pros and cons be damned. Every time I walk up to it in my garage, to walking back to it in a parking lot, to swearing at it when my short ass forgets to step up into it and bangs a shin against the step rail, to the shitty bumpstops that remind me they are there that I know I will NEVER do anything about, to taking a sudden right or left turn when I see a dirt road leading to nowhere...all of these things are better with XR. Yes, it's mostly psychological BS, but I don't care. XR is like an upgrade to the fun factor of the already crazy fun Wrangler

Also, I am not a paid spokesperson for Jeep 😝

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
I DD mine and drive about 35mi one way to work. I definitely get better mileage off the interstate vs on it. Just looking at the dash, it says roughly 18.5MPG but that usually runs about 1MPG high I believe. That is also with mixed between on and off the interstate. I didnt buy the Wrangler thinking I was going to get amazing mileage and wouldnt trade what I have for anything else. If I ever had to have a another one, Id def go with the XR again. My wife feels the same way. As everyone always says, its not about the MPG its about the SPG.

Sponsored

Beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado Duramax, 2001 Toyota 4Runner 95 Harley Davidson
The questions are:

1.) Can you afford the hit to mpg and the extra cost of keeping that tank full? If so, then...

2.) In addition to your daily driving how much off-roading would you like to do? The more you'd like to do, the more the XR package makes sense.
The XR Package also gets him a heavier duty 44 front axle doesn't it??

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

Wondering what mpg difference I could expect with and without extreme recon on the 2.0t. Gonna order a 2024 Willy’s and love the look of the extreme recon package and can’t decide if i want to sacrifice mpg. What kind of mpg are you guys getting with the 2.0t and rx package? Willys now comes with 33 inch tires so not as big of difference vs pas years 32inch tires. Daily driver with a small commute of 38 miles total to work and back weekdays
When I went from my lightweight, factory tires to these ridiculously heavy 35x13.5 NITTO Ridge Grapplers I only saw about a 1 mpg decline. I also have the turbo. Most of what determines your mpg is how spirited of a driver you are, IMO. You can average either 18 or 15 depending on how much you floor it... hope this helps.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Or when I was driving my ~6mpg on min 100 octane GTX, or ~8mpg L79 powered “5” (MD). Hell, the highest mpg and slowest “car” this old gear head has ever owned was a Corvette, also, blown 454 V drive is thirsty water toy. You spend money on what feeds your passion and joy. Some on golf, pro sports, vacations in the Bahamas and so on. This is mine, souped up V10 Dodge PU is about the same. All mpg numbers are “About”, it is NOT a priority. :)
Jeep Wrangler JL To go extreme recon or not for daily E4D10B6C-29A6-47D2-93B1-EE12D3D74F8C
…. I love to Drive, if you’re priority is high mpg Transportation there are better options than Wrangler, 4wd’s included.

Gross.... 39 degrees in May!?!

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
^^THIS^^
Have not regretted getting mine. With the 35's it rides really nice. Of course, I came from a 2 door Willys, so this feels like a limo.
I've got a 23 Willys XR 2.0T. I'm loving it. Pay once, cry once, no regrets.
Sponsored