To CB or not to CB

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
My local offroad club uses CB and GMRS. I didn’t want to commit to mounting a CB, so I bought this Midland handheld (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K2YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which works perfectly within a group ride. It can also be connected to an external antenna, such as a Firestik, for longer range.

I also just bought a GMRS radio and purchased the 10-year license. Seems like our local groups are almost all moving to this. I got this BTECH (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWOLZ8L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it seems to be well-made but I haven’t been able to use it on a trail yet. Portable and solid.

Permanently mounted options are great but portable options are a good way to start until you learn what you like and need.

BTW, I’m not sure about HAM, but with GMRS you only need a license (no test required - just a $70 fee for 10 years) if you talk. Listening requires no fee.
Sponsored

mojitojeep

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I did the same thing, but got the cooltech firestik antenna and mount.
It has worked great for me so far. I need to work up a mount of some sort but I like it. I haven’t even connected my external Firestik yet. I have the mount ready but haven’t tested it yet. I like that you can easily take it with you outside the Jeep if you need to.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Not exactly "nonsense" in our canyons. They are better than line of sight....but often not much better.
That's why I used the word "only". ;-)

I got the impression that some here were implying CB as less useful because they thought CBs would not work if you were out of sight. Yes sometimes a signal is blocked by obstacles (or mountains) but my setup (which is nothing fancy) has worked extremely well.

Again, I think the bottom line is that if the OP is going to do a lot of wheeling he should get more than a handheld unit.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I think it all depends on the group. Most of the groups I run with use CB. So...it makes sense. Doesn't do any good to have a CB if everyone else is using a different kind of radio though.
Exactly, which is why I also said the OP should get whatever his local club uses. I think installing an antenna is the important part because then he can use whatever radio he wants, or switch between types. My Uniden Pro510XL (which is not at all XL) only cost $33, so it's not like a radio has to cost a lot to work really well. I don't know much about HAM but I am guessing there are inexpensive sets out there.

Since there are some knowledgeable folks here, please enlighten me about antennas for HAM radios. Can HAM radio sets (handheld or otherwise) use the same antenna that CBs use (Firestiks)??

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly, which is why I also said the OP should get whatever his local club uses. I think installing an antenna is the important part because then he can use whatever radio he wants, or switch between types. My Uniden Pro510XL (which is not at all XL) only cost $33, so it's not like a radio has to cost a lot to work really well. I don't know much about HAM but I am guessing there are inexpensive sets out there.

Since there are some knowledgeable folks here, please enlighten me about antennas for HAM radios. Can HAM radio sets (handheld or otherwise) use the same antenna that CBs use (Firestiks)??
Yes and no on the antenna. It needs to be tuned for the frequencies you are trasmitting on.

A CB is 11meter band. Some antennas could be tuned for 10meter Ham. They might work on others too. Pretty sure it won't be tuned properly for 2m or 7cm bands but a 1/2 wave 11m antenna may be a full or quarter wave (or some permutation) on another band.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Like others have said... you need to find out what others are running in your club.

For solo and getting way off the beaten path, I'd reccomend a Spot or InReach Sat communicator or even a sat phone.

Last edited:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
The short answer is no, but you could use the same antenna mount and coax cable, especially if you install an NMO antenna mount and then use an adapter like this one to connect your Firestik (or find an NMO-mount CB antenna, though the options there would probably be more limited).

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Jeep Jamborees and many other Jeep events require a CB. So I think its a must. 3' Antenna is enough for you parking garage people. :) Used for close communication on the trails. I have the cool tech CB mount and the Cobra 75 CB.

Now in Michigan a lot of the club have transitioned to GMRS/FRS handhelds. Cheap and easy. I still prefer my radio be hard mounted when off-roading, so I added a Midland MXT275 GMRS radio (And 10 year license).

Simple setups for both. VHF is not common around here yet, and I doubt it will be with the license requirements. I don't know how those "Bao" radios are sold.

See signature for links.

Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

If it's strictly a safety thing, welcome to the 21st century

upload_2019-9-3_14-55-6.png
That has the ring of truth. I think you are exactly right.
I'll keep my handheld CB for group trips.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
A little in the weeds, but I had to get some kind of license to run my 25w marine VHF radio. I also got a MMSI code or something. Is that the same as a GMRS license?
Hi. A MMSI code and the registration process is for the search and rescue people. So your name and boat number and what type of boat you’re on, when you when set off the emergency system shows up. That way they know who their looking for and what they’re looking for. And can call your house to make sure that you really need help. That’s an expensive process with helos and boats being dispatched to your GPS location given by your MMSI radio.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Amateur, or HAM radio, 2m, 1.25m, and 70 cm HT (handy-talkie (walkie-talkie)) or a mobile unit, do have their limitations, in that if you're in say a ravine, and/or deep in the mountains, you won't get any signal out. Same goes w/CB's, and most especially, w/cell phones.

If you're stuck, and/or are broken down, you or someone else, will have to hike, or drive up to a high point outside of the ravine and try communicating there w/an HT or mobile radio, and even then, you still may not be able to hit a repeater, unless someone is online locally, which you will have to scan for. A CB, which have no repeaters available at all, again maybe if someone locally is listening in to your channel, and much less likely, if at all, w/a cell phone, which needs repeaters to even operate at all. (Note: A repeater is station setup up at a high point, a hill or mountain, which takes in lower power signals, amplifies them, and then retransmits that signal through a large base antenna. Through repeaters, you can talk to people around the world w/just an HT, or a cell phone, where you hit one repeater, then that signal hits another, and so on, including even satellites in space. Cell phones need repeaters to operate, where amateur radio's and CB's do not.

Finally, amateur radio is not like CB's, in that there is no fowl language and disrespect allowed. You have to have a license for its use, except in emergency situations. There are rules and a level of professionalism you have to follow in its use, including IDing yourself w/your license number, when using.

P.S. - FRS or GMRS will have the same issues as CB does when it comes to communicating w/anyone.
As for satellite devices like the Garmin's InReach Mini, and just how good they are in the deep rural areas, especially in the mountain, I don't know anything about them. You do need to pay a subscription fee for access to a satellite from what I've read.
Sponsored

Last edited: