Sponsored

To carry, or not to carry, that is the question (car theft & break-ins) [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
As for locking the doors, I go back and forth. I generally keep mine locked mostly out of habit. For those who say leave it unlocked, do you do the same with your house?
Do not leave your vehicle unlocked. Insurance may not cover the loss. Likewise, if it's stolen and the keys are in it, that may also stop them from covering it. Even if it was an honest mistake, it could cause issues.

Source: I worked for a large insurance company as a dispatcher for a few years. I used to talk to the adjusters (case managers) and the appraisers (field staff), and they both have told me unlocked doors, keys found in the vehicle, or both can be indicators of Fraud- someone trying to get their vehicle stolen to get rid of it, pay off the loan if they're upside down, etc. If you're that concerned about a smashed or cut window- get better insurance coverage.
Sponsored

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
That's a cool looking setup you have. Very cool. Regarding covering your VIN number, what is the logic there? I'm very intrigued. I've never heard about criminals getting any benefit from a VIN, but this is not my expertise.

Bill
If a crook obtains your VIN they can walk into a dealership and request a "replacement key." As others on the forum have mentioned, however, the VIN is stamped on the frame and elsewhere. I just want to make things a little more difficult for the felonious fellators.

Note that covering your VIN might not be entirely legal, but it has become a common strategy in areas where auto theft is getting out of hand.

That said, I highly recommend using an OBDII port lock. Thieves can intercept your key fob signal sitting outside your home then use the infromation to program their own Jeep key. But they need access to the OBDII port. Tip -- put your car key fobs inside a small cookie tin when you get home, and inside a faraday bag when you exit your Jeep traveling elsewhere.

Sadly yes, a determined ne'er-do-well can still steal or tow away your vehicle. These precautions just make it tougher for the young people who get a couple of hundred bucks to deliver stolen vehicles to the guys higher up the theft ring food chain.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If a crook obtains your VIN they can walk into a dealership and request a "replacement key." As others on the forum have mentioned, however, the VIN is stamped on the frame and elsewhere. I just want to make things a little more difficult for the felonious fellators.

Note that covering your VIN might not be entirely legal, but it has become a common strategy in areas where auto theft is getting out of hand.

That said, I highly recommend using an OBDII port lock. Thieves can intercept your key fob signal sitting outside your home then use the infromation to program their own Jeep key. But they need access to the OBDII port. Tip -- put your car key fobs inside a small cookie tin when you get home, and inside a faraday bag when you exit your Jeep traveling elsewhere.

Sadly yes, a determined ne'er-do-well can still steal or tow away your vehicle. These precautions just make it tougher for the young people who get a couple of hundred bucks to deliver stolen vehicles to the guys higher up the theft ring food chain.
you will never stop organized criminals that intend to steal your vehicle. Theyā€™re also incredibly rare.

The average person doesnā€™t need to worry about this level of criminal activity. They need to worry about drug addicted street urchins rifling through their personal property for a trip to the pawn shop.

Always carry. Never leave a weapon in the vehicle. Never leave valuables in the vehicle.

Most of all, do something about the local crime.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
Certain people can carry and fire guns with no repercussions. A wrangler owner is not one of them. You carry a gun to protect your vehicle or yourself and youā€™ll go to prison the person that was attacking you will be driving your car with a full tank of gas. Recently a store owner defended himself on camera with a gun and was put in prison. Itā€™s a new world ,live in reality. The media is in charge. They will portray the car jacker or thief as the victim. And the person with the gun defending themselves as the real criminal.
Just plain wrong.

Been carrying for twenty years and have my own range. You need to know the law and have the right temperament. A CCW firearm is like a spare tire, you never want to use it, but you want the option if you need it. There's bad people out there, avoid unnecessary risk, be kind to those you meet, but have a plan....

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
@mwilk012 Like what? unload a whole clip in their back as they run away with my Jeep duck I just got the other day that has irreplaceable sentimental value?
I donā€™t think I can legally suggest that.

All Iā€™m saying is, doing nothing only leads to decay.

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I picked up the Diabolical Slipstream Trunk Enclosure which is supposed to afford some security for the cargo area, but like I've been told multiple times on these forums: if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just plain wrong.

Been carrying for twenty years and have my own range. You need to know the law and have the right temperament. A CCW firearm is like a spare tire, you never want to use it, but you want the option if you need it. There's bad people out there, avoid unnecessary risk, be kind to those you meet, but have a plan....
Self rescue gear stays in my Locked Jeep all the time. Canā€™t imagine not carrying the gear I may need on the trail. I also, legally, carry a weapon, Have for nearly 40 years now. Under no circumstances would I ever want to hate anyone, however I do not believe in allowing my family or myself to be victimized. Sorry, not going to happen without a fight. I do my best to get along with everyone, and I will never harass or attack anyone, I only ask for the same consideration.

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
you will never stop organized criminals that intend to steal your vehicle. Theyā€™re also incredibly rare.

The average person doesnā€™t need to worry about this level of criminal activity. They need to worry about drug addicted street urchins rifling through their personal property for a trip to the pawn shop.

Always carry. Never leave a weapon in the vehicle. Never leave valuables in the vehicle.

Most of all, do something about the local crime.
Yes, depending on where you live organized car theft rings are rare.

Pass through a major city though and all bets are off. Gone in 22 seconds. Thatā€™s how quickly a car thief can steal a vehicle from your driveway, or hotel parking lot, etc.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
This thread is titled car theft and break-ins which implies something is happening to the vehicle while ou are not there. Carrying or not carrying doesn't matter.

I have some basic gear in my Jeep all the time- recovery straps from Harbor Freight, cheap tool set bought from Lowes on sale, jumper cables, lithium jump starter, cheap sunglasses. All of this doesn't add up to much dollar value compared to the value of the Jeep itself. My strategy is to leave the inside of the Jeep perfectly clean all the time, nothing of interest visible through the windows. People might still break in just to see if there is something in there, do they even know that there is a storage compartment under the rear deck?

My daughter for a long time drive an old Honda Civic and she had the opposite strategy to mine. Her car always looked like somebody lived in it to the point where someone wouldn't want to break in and have to dig through the stuff. At some point she straightened up and now she has an almost new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sponsored

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Theft from an unoccupied vehicle and auto theft are completely separate things. Aggravated carjackings are on the RISE because, due to the anti-theft tech, it's easier to approach an occupied vehicle, shove a gun in the driver's face and forcefully take it than it is to steal it from a parking lot. It is an extremely violent crime.
Whatever "statistics" the feds publish these days are designed to fit a political narrative.... gossip and small children will provide more accurate information.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
@mwilk012 Like what? unload a whole clip* in their back as they run away with my Jeep duck I just got the other day that has irreplaceable sentimental value?
*magazine

Most who carry do so only to protect themselves or family, not their vehicle.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

This thread is titled car theft and break-ins which implies something is happening to the vehicle while ou are not there. Carrying or not carrying doesn't matter.

I have some basic gear in my Jeep all the time- recovery straps from Harbor Freight, cheap tool set bought from Lowes on sale, jumper cables, lithium jump starter, cheap sunglasses. All of this doesn't add up to much dollar value compared to the value of the Jeep itself. My strategy is to leave the inside of the Jeep perfectly clean all the time, nothing of interest visible through the windows. People might still break in just to see if there is something in there, do they even know that there is a storage compartment under the rear deck?

My daughter for a long time drive an old Honda Civic and she had the opposite strategy to mine. Her car always looked like somebody lived in it to the point where someone wouldn't want to break in and have to dig through the stuff. At some point she straightened up and now she has an almost new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.
sounds like my daughters civic lol. I get in to move it holy moly what a mess!

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
I am a gun owner and support concealed carry for citizens.
But don't be this guy that used to live down the street from me.
I'd like to think most here on the forum know better.
Now he is serving 8.5 years in prison for killing his neighbor, his bullets missed the jeep thief but hit his neighbor.
Your jeep being stolen is not a life threatening situation.

https://komonews.com/news/local/bon...son-for-accidental-shooting-death-of-neighbor

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
For what it's worth, national crime rates have remained more or less stagnant since 2006, with a significant drop in 2021. UCR statistical information has not been released yet for 2022, but estimations project numbers more or less on par with 2021. That being said, some modes of criminality have shown some increase since 2020. .
If prosecutors donā€™t bring charges crime rates donā€™t go up. If police are so busy with major crimes that they canā€™t address minor crimes and donā€™t make reports, crime rates donā€™t go up.

Since Covid crime has increased dramatically. Donā€™t quote statistics and studies. Because you can make them say anything you want. You have to be blind, ignorant or just plain evil to claim that crime has increased and isnā€™t a huge issue in America right now. More so than in the past 30 years.

talk to the people who deal with crime daily and ask them about prosecutors, bail, charges and criminals. Youā€™ll get a real picture of how bad the situation really is.
Sponsored