Sponsored

To carry, or not to carry, that is the question (car theft & break-ins) [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Here are a few accessories to help secure items in your Jeep:

Our most popular is probably the Tuffy Center Console Safe:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/console-security-storage/348-01-tuffy-security-console-insert

Tuffy Security Tailgate Lock Box:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/tail-gate/349-01-tuffy-security-tailgate-lock-box

TuTuffy Security Deck (w/o Subwoofer):
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/rear-cargo-storage/345-01-tuffy-security-deck-enclosure

Tuffy Security Deck (w/Subwoofer):
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-01-tuffy-security-deck-enclosure-w-subwoofer

Here's a short video @Tech Tim and team did covering the install and overview of the Tuffy Security Console Safe:

Sponsored

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
Security was one of the reasons I opted for the hard top when I bought my current Jeep. I removed the back seats (2 door) and keep a couple of black bags of supplies/equipment in the rear foot wells where they blend in pretty well. When the top is off in the summer, I'll forego those bags and put any essentials in my Tuffy Center Console Safe.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have the Tuffy Safe for my center console and Tuffy enclosure for the tailgate. I don't hesitate to leave things in either location on a daily basis.

While neither of these products is burglar proof it would take a lot of work to get in either and it eliminates the smash and grabs

SRQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My JL isn't a daily, so the only thing of value I have are black sunglasses that blend in with the interior. I have the steel enclosure in the back that acts as a very secure trunk.

Also, I've noticed that many have a hero complex regarding firearms; I've been in the military my entire adult life and have unfortunately been involved in some wild legal entanglements that I do not wish to replicate. I have too much to lose.

Just take my vehicle and I'll let my insurance deal with it. Hopefully my interior cabin dash cam video will be recovered with evidence of the incident. If I'm cornered then we'd be having a different discussion.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
For what it's worth, I run around the general Denver area without a top or doors and don't give it too much thought*. I generally don't leave anything in it and I leave the glovebox and center console unlocked. Those things are just so easy to break I'd rather they open it and look rather than break it to look. So I suppose I do side on the "just leave it open" camp. On my last TJ the spare tire just sat exposed in the back, I always figured it'd get stolen but it never did. I have never noticed anyone has been in my Jeeps doing it this way, but I do have a garage so that might be part of it. With my JL I bought a diabolical slipstream so I can leave somethings secured, but I still don't leave things in there long term. I have no delusions that the slipstream is impossible to get into, but I suspect they'd make a lot more noise and a scene trying to get into it rather than just moving on to an easier target.

* lately I have been thinking more about vehicle theft. It's (apparently) easy to clone a JL key and just drive off. Because of that I have recently been debating getting a tazer (programming device not the "don't taze me bro" kind). Apparently they have a setting that requires you enter a sequence of buttons on the steering wheel shortly after startup to keep the Jeep running.

Sponsored

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
As an IT business owner, it's imperative that I don't store any equipment in mine. Especially for urban and city projects, where I may spend 4-8hrs at a time at a location with less than desirable parking amenities.

So I just take what I need for a particular job and then empty out afterwards. It's a pain, but it's better than risking losing tens of thousands $$ of what is now harder to find and more expensive than ever parts.

That mentality has bled over to my personal usage as well. I just don't keep shit in my vehicles anymore that have any type of value.

More power to whomever (or whoever...never can get the usage right lol) wants to steal my extendo-snow brush though 🙃

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Certain people can carry and fire guns with no repercussions. A wrangler owner is not one of them. You carry a gun to protect your vehicle or yourself and you’ll go to prison the person that was attacking you will be driving your car with a full tank of gas. Recently a store owner defended himself on camera with a gun and was put in prison. It’s a new world ,live in reality. The media is in charge. They will portray the car jacker or thief as the victim. And the person with the gun defending themselves as the real criminal.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

I may or may not know someone who works for a retailer with a store in Portland, OR. There are talks of shutting it down because fine intentioned folks who deserve the retail goods being sold are coming in and when employees rudely ask them to pay for the items they've picked up, the fine folks just tell them very politely, "no, I don't have to pay for this" and then leave. The staff are really mean to try to make these people pay. They can't call the police either because that was tried and is obviously racist of the employees.

Crime is NOT on the rise, it's never been better. There are beautiful colorful mini-cities all over Denver that smell great. It's not the residents faults that people driving by in cars make them angry and they throw bottles at them! It's your fault, you're part of the problem if you think crime is bad. duh

SilentBanshee424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S, 2004 Moto Guzzi 750
Another year has passed with crime and general lawlessness on the rise nationally. My home state of Colorado interestingly has the dubious distinction of being the #1 car theft state in the country. The below image shows the very clear trend, it's the highest it's ever been in the era of Cars with built in anti-theft tech. Fully expecting the slope to increase again in 2022 and 23, although Jeep is not the most popular vehicle for theft and break-ins, it remains a desirable target.

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/191216/reported-motor-vehicle-theft-rate-in-the-us-since-1990/
Just want to say, in your source, the vehicle theft rates really haven't increased that much in the last couple years. It looks dramatic on the chart but that's just because of the way it's presented. From the lowest at 2014 to 2021, it's only a difference of 53 cars per 100,000 cars stolen. Which is nothing compared to the rest of the chart. I'd say just continue to do what you did 2005-2009. Basic rules of "don't make your car an obvious target."

Not trying to be mean or anything. Just want to help alleviate any fears you might have.

Jeep Wrangler JL To carry, or not to carry, that is the question (car theft & break-ins) [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] car theft.PNG

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Small town south here.I'm retired, and the Jeep is in a locked garage most of the time.I carry on my person 100% of the time, but not for thieves.I'm just too old to roll around on the parking lot any longer.One good punch might be the end.....lol!

Sponsored

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Just want to say, in your source, the vehicle theft rates really haven't increased that much in the last couple years. It looks dramatic on the chart but that's just because of the way it's presented. From the lowest at 2014 to 2021, it's only a difference of 53 cars per 100,000 cars stolen. Which is nothing compared to the rest of the chart. I'd say just continue to do what you did 2005-2009. Basic rules of "don't make your car an obvious target."

Not trying to be mean or anything. Just want to help alleviate any fears you might have.

car theft.PNG
Yes, from 30 years ago to as recent as 15 years ago, current rates are still way down. I suspect that comes down to cars being a lot easier to steal back then. New tech (chips, lojack, gps, etc.) drove thefts down to the low you reference in 2014. From an analytics perspective, that low point becomes the reference point. The trend is well up, and the trend in 2022 is likely much higher than 21. The "only 53 cars per thousand" point you make, equates to a 25% increase in car thefts from the period 2014 through the end of the data sample in 2021. Over the past several years as society has rapidly shifted, theft is way up, that's pretty plain to see.

I wholeheartedly agree with your skepticism of other peoples analysis as the trick is objectively defining what the relevant timeframe of comparison is in order for conclusions to be made. However "objective" is "subjective", as such analytical acrobatics are regularly made. Consider inflation for example. Someone might look at our current inflation rate of 7.1% as "low" because it's down 28% over the past 6 months. Another person would say that it's really high because it was only 1.2% 2 years ago, and it's up ~500%. Just depending on what you are looking for, both analysis is "true". I'm looking at the relevant recent trend to captures what is really happening in my perspective, others could see it different.

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I have a 2 door soft top that stays in the garage when I am not running around town. I use a OBDII port lock and have taped over my VIN to help foil the felons.

I carry some basic stuff in the rear storage compartment, but I do not include the bulk of my recovery gear, comms, etc unless I am going to an off road destination. For these types of trips I bolt on my bed topper. Even then, I generally remove the expensive stuff and put It in my hotel room. Though protected by the bed topper, the thieves can take my fake maxtrax if they want.

Jeep Wrangler JL To carry, or not to carry, that is the question (car theft & break-ins) [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_0201.JPG

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I have a 2 door soft top that stays in the garage when I am not running around town. I use a OBDII port lock and have taped over my VIN to help foil the felons.

I carry some basic stuff in the rear storage compartment, but I do not include the bulk of my recovery gear, comms, etc unless I am going to an off road destination. For these types of trips I bolt on my bed topper. Even then, I generally remove the expensive stuff and put It in my hotel room. Though protected by the bed topper, the thieves can take my fake maxtrax if they want.

Jeep Wrangler JL To carry, or not to carry, that is the question (car theft & break-ins) [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_0201.JPG
That's a cool looking setup you have. Very cool. Regarding covering your VIN number, what is the logic there? I'm very intrigued. I've never heard about criminals getting any benefit from a VIN, but this is not my expertise.

Bill

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I leave a box of condoms in the Jeep so they don't reproduce.

Regarding firearms. I have 4. One of those is a handgun. No I do not carry. They all live in a lockbox and the long guns are disassembled, they get assembled when I need them. I rather them take my Jeep than to kill them or get myself killed or seriously injured. Insurance would cover it anyway. I can't carry where I live anyway and would get in serious trouble if they found a firearm in my possession. Also, gang members vs. me in a firefight? we know who is winning....