Sponsored

To BSG, or Not To BSG

To BSG, or Not To BSG: Are you going to get a BSG (eTorque) equipped Wrangler?

• Total voters

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
That is the question.

Supposedly the 3.6L BSG (eTorque technology) is coming in MY2019. Are you waiting for it or are you going to get the 2018 to avoid it?

I know we don't have much information on it yet, but which way are you leaning? You can always change your vote later if you change your mind.
I hadn't previously known about this. Makes me feel even better about getting a near base 2018. Guess in the future it'll truly be one of the simplest JL's around. To echo what I just read others saying, it's complication that doesn't seem worth the headache. The 3.6 as it stands is a time-tested, naturally aspirated motor without direct injection. Proven shit that isn't gonna give out when you're deep in the dirt. Maybe one day I'll like BSG, ESS, and turbocharged rugged SUV's with blind spot monitoring, but for now I'll stay simple.

Who knows, maybe 2018's will become sought after by offroaders in the future for simplicity. I'm sure they'll be adding plenty to the JL over its presumed decade of life.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
How much money will it cost to have that 48V battery replaced? It appears to be something the average owner won't attempt in the driveway.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
How much money will it cost to have that 48V battery replaced? It appears to be something the average owner won't attempt in the driveway.
It's the capacity of like 3-4 laptop batteries (a mere 330 Wh), so it's not like replacing the batteries on a Tesla or something, From what I've heard, the vehicle will still run fine if this battery is dead, you just lose the regen during deceleration and extra torque during accel. Cold cranking is still done by the 12v starter/battery.

For these reasons, I don't think it's the reliability liability some folks think it'll be. The 3L VM Motori diesel is well-established to be a reliability nightmare, and people are lining up for that.

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yea and the reviews are also saying it makes the stop/start tech a lot more bearable and fluid.
I do a lot of city driving in regular 3.6L and I do not find the stop/start unbearable at all. It may be because I have been to Europe a lot and it is common on all cars. I find my JLUR to be no better or worse, than those. When I go off road I will turn the Start/Stop off anyway, so unless the BSG has some appreciable benefit beyond that, and you do not want a diesel, and you do not have cash to buy it out right, I would get it now before interest rates start rising.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
I am waiting to go the Pentastar + BSG route unless there are issues that are uncovered in the 2.0T implementation.

I hate ESS so much (but unfortunatrly do have some traffic with my Wrangler as DD), and the possible instant on torque on the hills might be very attractive if it is shown to work well in the Wrangler on the 2.0 platform.
Have you heard whether or not the 2019 MY will offer the V6 with BSG and a manual? That would be the ideal setup for me. The turbo mpg numbers, 22/24 Average 22, show a nice 4 mpg bump in city mileage. BTW, I couldn't stand the ESS during my manual transmission test drive either.

chessiehokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; Previous: 1978 Jeep CJ-7; M151A2 (3/64 Armor, 3rd Infantry Division).