To Advanced Safety Group or No?

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
I spent quite a bit of time searching and reading through all the thread where the Advanced Safety Group was discussed. All the posts were great and provided valuable insight into if people liked it or not. This is not the intent of this thread because personally I love the concept and value of the FCW and ACC (Advanced Safety Group).

However, what I can't get over is if the system that sits behind the rearview mirror will take away vision or if I am analyzing it entirely too much. This is where I am calling on all of you that have the Advanced Safety Group to let me know if you feel it takes away from your vision.

I did go to the dealership and sat in one of each and took some pictures myself, but could have been sitting too tall and hence making it appear too much in my line of site. I am about 6' tall and would appreciate seeing photos from some of you that are similar in height, showing your windshield view.

aNqE5wu2QXq+72OL0r7qRw.jpg

Without Advanced Safety Group

VEKcoRaJRq2MmiUAFknWzQ.jpg

With the Advanced Safety Group

Again, I see the value in the Advanced Safety Group, but what I am trying to determine is what everyone has experienced with their view out the windshield. Thanks!
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The box doesn't get in my way at all, my gripe is how low the rearview mirror is mounted, and in your picture it looks like it's just as low either way! lol. The mirror is enormous!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m very concerned about visibility. I get annoyed with front seat passengers who lower the visor and don’t put it back up immediately when the sun’s no longer in their eyes.

I’ve driven my Jeep for 9 months and 13K mikes. The ACC/FCW box is a non issue. I don’t notice it or feel like it’s obtrusive or impedes my vision. I’m 6’2” for reference.

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Doesn't bother me at all and I don't feel it obstructs my vision. I don't even notice it when I'm driving. It looks more obtrusive in photos than in real life.

Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just like everyone else said, it doesn't obstruct my view. I would definitely recommend getting it.

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; R1200GSA; Goldwing
There are supposedly insurance discounts if vehicles have active braking in BC now. I feel better with paying extra for it now. I assume other states/provinces will follow suit.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Never bothers me...and also blocks the sun when its hitting the windshield between the visors.

CoryC

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 6 speed manual
I spent quite a bit of time searching and reading through all the thread where the Advanced Safety Group was discussed. All the posts were great and provided valuable insight into if people liked it or not. This is not the intent of this thread because personally I love the concept and value of the FCW and ACC (Advanced Safety Group).

However, what I can't get over is if the system that sits behind the rearview mirror will take away vision or if I am analyzing it entirely too much. This is where I am calling on all of you that have the Advanced Safety Group to let me know if you feel it takes away from your vision.

I did go to the dealership and sat in one of each and took some pictures myself, but could have been sitting too tall and hence making it appear too much in my line of site. I am about 6' tall and would appreciate seeing photos from some of you that are similar in height, showing your windshield view.

aNqE5wu2QXq+72OL0r7qRw.jpg

Without Advanced Safety Group

VEKcoRaJRq2MmiUAFknWzQ.jpg

With the Advanced Safety Group

Again, I see the value in the Advanced Safety Group, but what I am trying to determine is what everyone has experienced with their view out the windshield. Thanks!
Absolutely zero restriction on visibility as the "box" sits behind the mirror and nearly out of your line of sight for anything meaningful. I was skeptical and I am glad I held out for one with it... and the adaptive cruise it comes with is pretty awesome too...

Sponsored

weagle93

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I concur with the other posts - it does not block my view at all. I am also about 6' tall so I don't think you will have any issues.

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
On rare occasion, the box/mirror does impede visibility for me. I just lean down and look under/around it. I'd rather have the advantage from the safety features that the box provides and deal with a slight irregular inconvenience than not have it.

urbanlegend

First Name
Caesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Wrangler, 19 JLU Rubicon
I'm 5'6" with this on my JLU and the only thing that I occasionally miss out on is Stoplight Scanning - glancing to the right at the cross-traffic stoplight to see when it turns yellow to get ready to hit the skinny pedal. Depends on angle of intersection / etc. The ACC took a few trips to get used to, but I absolutely love it. FCW has beeped at me a few times in situations it should have, but hasn't applied the brakes for me yet. As posters have mentioned in other threads, the safety feature is not a substitute for paying attention when driving, but is available and will activate when someone else isn't.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
It seems this camera-driven safety equipment such as ACC is always installed straddling the rear view mirror post. I don't believe any manufacturer of such equipment has designed it to be installed it asymmetrically in front of/above the rear view mirror. I agree that the above pictures show how the safety equipment interferes a bit with the driver's field of vision. There is a dead space behind the mirror on the passenger's side that is unused--a space where I install my EZ-Pass so that it doesn't block my vision. Simple geometry: The driver looks at the rear view mirror at an angle, not straight on. If safety equipment were installed only on the right side of the rear view mirror, the driver's field of vision would be maximized, at the expense of some reduction in the passenger's field. Last time I looked (no pun intended, well, maybe), the passenger's field of vision is not critical to operation of the vehicle, but the driver's is.

Regarding the current situation as pictured above, I think each individual has to judge whether the increased safety from ACC and related equipment offsets the slightly-diminished field of view. I do know that the collision-avoidance system on my 2011 MDX has prevented a couple of rear-end collisions over my 7 years of ownership. My 2018 Rubicon doesn't have collision-avoidance since I was unwilling to wait for the 2019 model year (and there were also rumors at that time that ALL 3.6 engines in the 2019's were going to be the soft hybrid that seems unecessary for a MT). If it had been available, I would have ordered ACC/Collision-Avoidance and any other optional advanced safety equipment--you may not need it 99.99999% of the time, but when you need it you will be glad to have it.