Titan Trekker Spare Fuel

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have just received the Titan Trekker II spare fuel tank. This seems like a great value, as it provides 12 gallons of fuel capacity.

My concern is using this with the Teraflex HD alpha tire kit.

Titan says they have 1000s of jeeps running hard and no problem with the 100lbs of fuel plus 37in spare.

I am hoping that maybe one or two of those 1000s are on this forum. I am finding it hard to believe that 100lbs of fuel, plus pushing the 100lbs of 37in spare out an additional 4 inches is going to work. That's almost 2x the rated capacity and additional leverage.

Anyone with real experience running this setup?
20210124_201523.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TeraFlex .. can you comment on this setup? The trail trekker has specific installation instructions for the AlphaHD for the JKU. Will this end in disaster?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Assuming you already checked the Titan website? Right on the page for the fuel tank it specifically lists the tire carriers that support the weight. (copied & pasted below) They also say to check with them if yours is not listed. I would suggest hitting them up.

I am missing something from your post though. you ask about the Teraflex HD Alpha, but do not list what tire carrying system you are using.

I am 100% sure you cannot simply use this with the Teraflex Alpha on the rear gate. WAAAAAAAAAY too much weight.

Curious what you are running, and if Alpha can support this. I am glad you posted as this looks really cool, and the alpha looks cool & beefy as well.

Aftermarket Bumper / Tire Carrier Fitment:
• Ace Pro Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • ADD Venom Tire Carrier • ARB Tire Carrier & Bumper • Bestop Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • Currie Tire Carrier • EVO Hinged Tire Carrier • Fab Fours JK Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • Garvin G2 • LOD Destroyer • Poison Spyder Rock Brawler II Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier (trimming of license plate extension may be required) • RBP Pro-Series Rear bumper & Tire Carrier • Red Rock 4x4 Hinged Tire Carrier • Rock Hard Patriot Series • Rock Slide Engineering Rigid Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier • Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper with Swing and Lock Tire Carrier • Rugged Ridge HD Tire Carrier Kit for JK • Slee Off Road Swing Out Carrier • Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • Teraflex Hinged Carrier with Stock JK Tire Mount • Teraflex Hinged Carrier and Adjustable Tire Mount • Warn Rock Crawler Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier • Warn Elite Series Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier • Wilco Off Road Hitch Gate • Check with TITAN for additional fitments not listed here.

Important: Tank is intended for temporary storage only. Full tank weighs approximately 100 lbs (45 kg). It is the user’s responsibility to ensure the mounting point on the vehicle is sufficient for the weight.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the teraflex alpha.

I did talk to Titan before hand, and provided documentation. They claimed that it's the same setup as JK and they have tested in-house with the JL and the Terraflex Alpha.

The issue for fitment is the bolt location. I have 37s, and thus I am using the upper bolt locations. Their kit requires I setup in the middle (35s) location to avoid hitting the structure.

I agree with your assessment. Despite their verbal and written statements that the weight is not an issue, I don't see it working out well for me. That's just too much weight (200lbs) and too far out (extra 6 inches extended) for the alpha carrier.

I even called Maximus 3 and talked to them about their carrier and this tank setup. Maximus said no way.

I am returning the titan trekker and ordering the 17gallon aux tank.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Might be a good option for people who do not run a spare. weight of the full tank is not worse than 17's with 35's.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might be a good option for people who do not run a spare. weight of the full tank is not worse than 17's with 35's.
Agree!!!, and it fits very secure without the spare. The price is hard to beat too.

They have agreeed to return mine, but I may list it for sale in case someone wants to save on the shipping.

I have ordered the LRA aux tank. Its a lot more money, but in the end, it will solve the problem.
Sponsored