Tires vs. Suspension: Better ride?

Codyrush14

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
My 2018 JLU is my first Jeep, and I want to make my ride significantly smoother/better. I currently have 34" E-Rated Cooper AT3's (20" wheels) and the RC full suspension lift. I can only afford to upgrade one at a time, so replacing which one will give me the most improvement first? If I replace my wheel/tire combo, I will go to a 35" C rated tire and 17" wheels. If I replace suspension, I will go with a Metalcloak setup. Will replacing one/both make my ride better going 70 on bumpy highways?
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It may or may not make a difference. Significantly better going 70 mph on bumpy roads? Probably not. You have a solid axle vehicle. It will never have the ride quality of the other vehicles on the road today.

20 inch wheels with E rated tires definitely doesn't help the ride quality. Additionally, the majority of lift kits have a higher spring rate than stock suspension which also doesn't help.

Swapping this stuff out may help but don't be disappointed when the jeep doesn't ride like what you're used to with other vehicles.

Your best best is swapping back to stock suspension and ditching the lift and larger tires.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
My 2018 JLU is my first Jeep, and I want to make my ride significantly smoother/better. I currently have 34" E-Rated Cooper AT3's (20" wheels) and the RC full suspension lift. I can only afford to upgrade one at a time, so replacing which one will give me the most improvement first? If I replace my wheel/tire combo, I will go to a 35" C rated tire and 17" wheels. If I replace suspension, I will go with a Metalcloak setup. Will replacing one/both make my ride better going 70 on bumpy highways?
Go back to a C rated tire on a 17" rim. E rated tires have very stiff side walls. Combine that with a 20" rim (makes for a low profile sidewall) and you have a very harsh riding tire.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for 17's wrapped in C's. A set of Rubicon take offs would save some $
Sponsored