Tires upgrade for Sport S

SW Florida-Hank

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Willys 2-Door, 2023 Gladiator High Altitude
Good afternoon, just to follow-up on original OP. I have a 2-door on order and wanted to go with a bigger-better look as well. When I went to my local Tire Kingdom, he strongly suggested I go with an 18" wheel (told him I was looking for new wheels and tires). He stated 18" tires are much better priced than 17". Based on that I am planning on going with 275/70 R18 with -12 offset. This how it compares to the 287/70 R17. Do you foresee any issues going with the 18s? Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires upgrade for Sport S 1675188519333
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
-12 will stick out way too far. I suggest 0, which will stick out a little, or better yet +12 or +18, which be be near flush with your fenders.

Also keep in mind that almost all 18” tires are load range E, which makes them heavier and the ride more harsh. Although you can get a General Grabber ATX in 275/70/18 in load range SL.

Also, make sure the wheels you are getting are a reputable brand and they are hub centric vs lug centric. The more simple the design, the easier they are to clean and the better they look on the Jeep. Complicated designs grab your eye hanging on the wall, but look too busy once mounted.

Last edited:

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
-12 will stick out way too far. I suggest 0, which will stick out a little, or better yet +12 or +18, which be be near flush with your fenders.

Also keep in mind that almost all 18” tires are load range E, which makes them heavier and the ride more harsh. Although you can get a General Grabber ATX in 275/70/18 in load range C.

Also, make sure the wheels you are getting are a reputable brand and they are hub centric vs lug centric. The more simple the design, the easier they are to clean and the better they look on the Jeep. Complicated designs grab you eye hanging on the wall, but look too busy once mounted.
I have been looking at the Generals in that size, are you sure they make a load C in that size? All I've seen are an SL, which I was going to go with, but if they have a C variant I would go with that, as that is what I have run on all my Jeeps. Definitely want to avoid E's, and cant go much bigger without a regear (6sp)...

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Good afternoon, just to follow-up on original OP. I have a 2-door on order and wanted to go with a bigger-better look as well. When I went to my local Tire Kingdom, he strongly suggested I go with an 18" wheel (told him I was looking for new wheels and tires). He stated 18" tires are much better priced than 17". Based on that I am planning on going with 275/70 R18 with -12 offset. This how it compares to the 287/70 R17. Do you foresee any issues going with the 18s? Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires upgrade for Sport S 1675188519333
The only other consideration is how you use your jeep. If you're mainly on the street and just do light off roading the 18's are fine. But if you plan on doing some moderate to heavy wheeling I'd stick with 17's and go with a 285/75 r17 instead.
The tire diameter would be almost the same, but you'd get almost 1" more sidewall, which is very helpful when aired down.

285x75xR17-275x70xR18.png

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have been looking at the Generals in that size, are you sure they make a load C in that size? All I've seen are an SL, which I was going to go with, but if they have a C variant I would go with that, as that is what I have run on all my Jeeps. Definitely want to avoid E's, and cant go much bigger without a regear (6sp)...
Well, I stand corrected. I saw that size on an F150 Tremor awhile back and noticed that they were load rated at 116, so I assumed they were C rated. Still a great choice at 33.2”.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Well, I stand corrected. I saw that size on an F150 Tremor awhile back and noticed that they were load rated at 116, so I assumed they were C rated. Still a great choice at 33.2”.
Yeah a good choice, I'm running 275-65-18 Toyo AT3 C now, would love to go to the 285-75-17 (34"), but again would probably prefer a regear and am not sure I wanna go down that route. Just wish they made that size General with white letters, for whatever reason only certain sizes have that option...
Sponsored