wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I run -3.5 of backspace for my wheels. Meaning my tires poke out a lot.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 7F64E8E4-E1C1-47EA-A710-8E121528988F
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 7C84FA3C-9D40-4A03-95D0-5C9C7CBAE3A2

I also do this often.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 1A195049-BA74-4CE5-9765-631FC91145EE
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 5BC95FAB-8D04-4A42-96E6-770D79EDCE74
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears BB547E5E-0CDA-45E7-9784-B24235B0DA9A

where tire poke truly sucks is in the rain and mud. It slings crap all over my Jeep.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Some poke looks good in my opinion, it is definitely a benefit in both stability and keeping the body off the rocks/trees when wheeling. I'd much rather rub a sidewall or even wheel on a rock than my fenders or even worse paint.

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
The mud and crap on the jeep is real, I've even though about putting on the fender extensions to help but figure they will rip off. I am struggling to keep the plastic fenders together as is let alone adding extensions.
I too switch out to the smaller tires for winter salt and to give the expensive MT a break in mileage.

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
I wish I could have them fit within the fender line, but the only way to get to 35s is by going to 12.5-inch wide tires, which in most instances requires wheels that are at least 8 inches wide and have at most 5.2 inches of backspacing.

Due to all of the above, mine stick out a little.
1675040236296.png
Nice @$$! 😜

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
As tire size and ride height increases, so does the vehicles center of gravity. This results in a loss of stability in both offcamber situations offroad and in curves and corners on road. A wider track is required to offset that loss.

My personal experience with my JLUR: It's currently sitting 5.5" higher than stock height in the front and 6" higher in the rear, and on 40x13.5's. The frame and body are sitting about 10" higher than a stock Rubicon and my wheels and tires widened the track by about 7". The Jeep feels more solid and planted than it did at stock height with stock tire size. I can even throw it into curves and corners at a higher speed, while still feeling sure-footed.

Lift height and tire size, along with how much downtravel a specific kit can provide, necessitates varying degrees of tire poke. The more a tire droops, the more the opposite tire will tilt inward as it stuffs. The more backspace a wheel has, the sooner the top inner shoulder of the tire being stuffed will hit the fender liners.

My 40x13.5's are wrapped around 17x9 wheels with 4.53" of backspace and -12mm offset. On Rubicon axles, that results in about 3.5" of tire poke in the front and 2-2.5" out back. With the 4.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger, chopped fenders, and the highest tuck liners available, that wheel and tire combo still robs me of an easy 2-3" of potential uptravel. This is because the top inner shoulder of the stuffed tire hits the liner, leaving just over 3" of unused space between the tire and fender with an articulated axle. If I had 3.5" backspaced wheels, I could lose an inch or so of bumpstop spacing.

Tire poke isn't just a look to some of us. It's an unavoidable byproduct of caring far more about maximizing suspension travel than keeping dirt off the doors.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
As tire size and ride height increases, so does the vehicles center of gravity. This results in a loss of stability in both offcamber situations offroad and in curves and corners on road. A wider track is required to offset that loss.

My personal experience with my JLUR: It's currently sitting 5.5" higher than stock height in the front and 6" higher in the rear, and on 40x13.5's. The frame and body are sitting about 10" higher than a stock Rubicon and my wheels and tires widened the track by about 7". The Jeep feels more solid and planted than it did at stock height with stock tire size. I can even throw it into curves and corners at a higher speed, while still feeling sure-footed.

Lift height and tire size, along with how much downtravel a specific kit can provide, necessitates varying degrees of tire poke. The more a tire droops, the more the opposite tire will tilt inward as it stuffs. The more backspace a wheel has, the sooner the top inner shoulder of the tire being stuffed will hit the fender liners.

My 40x13.5's are wrapped around 17x9 wheels with 4.53" of backspace and -12mm offset. On Rubicon axles, that results in about 3.5" of tire poke in the front and 2-2.5" out back. With the 4.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger, chopped fenders, and the highest tuck liners available, that wheel and tire combo still robs me of an easy 2-3" of potential uptravel. This is because the top inner shoulder of the stuffed tire hits the liner, leaving just over 3" of unused space between the tire and fender with an articulated axle. If I had 3.5" backspaced wheels, I could lose an inch or so of bumpstop spacing.

Tire poke isn't just a look to some of us. It's an unavoidable byproduct of caring far more about maximizing suspension travel than keeping dirt off the doors.
Well said.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of excessive wheel/tire poke just for poke. I know its unavoidable at a point but.
I went with AEV Borah wheels with +25mm offset and 5.72" backspacing to keep it at a minimum.
Currently running stock 285/75R17 BFG KO2s. This coming weekend I'm getting 315/75R17 KO2s. So they will stick out about 1/2" further. With these wheels and tires, the inner positioning will be similar to stock wheels and tires. The rings are off to touch up the paint while I get new tires installed, but will be going back on.
This doesn't change the poke, but I also have a tiny lift with 3/4" Daystar spacers F/R.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 20230130_091537
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 20230130_091605
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 20230129_225305

Last edited:

ohthatguy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon 392
I’m definitely in the anti poke crowd but my desire for super wide tires (I ran 335’s flush on the FRONT of my Challenger Widebody) wins out every time.

So the 15.5” wide tires and 12” wide wheels that’re coming in for my 392XR will stick out of the fenders an incredible amount. But it seems like every wide wheel for the Wranglers has -44 offset so there are few options to better tuck them short of custom forged wheels at $4k-$10k/ set.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of excessive wheel/tire poke just for poke. I know its unavoidable at a point but.
I went with AEV Borah wheels with +25mm offset and 5.72" backspacing to keep it at a minimum.
Currently running stock 285/75R17 BFG KO2s. This coming weekend I'm getting 315/75R17 KO2s. So they will stick out about 1/2" further. With these wheels and tires, the inner positioning will be similar to stock wheels and tires. The rings are off to touch up the paint while I get new tires installed, but will be going back on.
This doesn't change the poke, but I also have a tiny lift with 3/4" Daystar spacers F/R.

Just a little bit more poke with the 315/70R17s
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 20230208_075739
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 20230208_075705
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 20230208_075801

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Bryce, OP here. My Jeep has exqctly the same amount of poke as yours. I was asking about the (much) more extreme examples - the roller skate look. That said, I'm relieved to hear that there is a practical reason, as related by other posters. I was worried that it was a new fashion statement. :)

Last question for the more extreme examples: does the poke play havoc with the paint on your door hinges?

Sponsored

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
So here's a 315/70/17 with "no" poke on a 392 Rubi... I think these are 11" wide tires or similar but they are in the fenders with Vision +30 17"x8" wheels, no rub or clearance issues anywhere. Went with Goodyears due to the weight, ok tire, nothing really to boast about though.

I really wanted a concave spoke look on my wheels but it just can't be done with Rubi axles AND keeping the tires in the stock fenders.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears IMG_1574D.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears IMG_1570.JPG

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Bryce, OP here. My Jeep has exqctly the same amount of poke as yours. I was asking about the (much) more extreme examples - the roller skate look. That said, I'm relieved to hear that there is a practical reason, as related by other posters. I was worried that it was a new fashion statement. :)

Last question for the more extreme examples: does the poke play havoc with the paint on your door hinges?
Yes. As poke increases, so does the amount of material thrown up on the doors and rear fenders when driving straight. And when turning, it'll be all over the hood, windshield, and roof because the Jeep is driving into the spray.

It can be lessened with wider mud flaps and wider running boards, but those items can potentially hinder the same function that lead to the poke in the first place. Ground clearance may be lost to some degree, and the drivers view of the front tire will be blocked when spotting oneself. Also worth noting at this point, that mudflaps won't work with chopped factory fenders.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 20221119_112300
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires sticking like Alfred E. Neuman's ears 1594036353209
Sponsored