Tires rotated. Now sensors confused.

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Just completed my first 5 tire rotation. Tried after to match all the tire pressures and noticed that now when I air down the front passenger tire the pressure on the dash for the rear passenger tire is dropping. Makes sense since the tires changed positions. Just wondering what a I need to do now to sync up the sensors. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Just completed my first 5 tire rotation. Tried after to match all the tire pressures and noticed that now when I air down the front passenger tire the pressure on the dash for the rear passenger tire is dropping. Makes sense since the tires changed positions. Just wondering what a I need to do now to sync up the sensors. Thanks in advance.
It’ll correct itself after some driving. Mine did, anyway.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I just had a complete tire change, no problems, I find the tire monitors kinda crazy anyway! As above some driving should balance them out?

Go Jeep!!!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered my JL but was wondering how air pressure is monitored in the JL? My JK doesn't have sensors because I ordered a larger tire/wheel set online and new sensors would have cost $250 more. Plus I sold the stock set and got more money for them with the sensors left in them. I don't even notice the small TPMS error light anymore. A Honda service advisor told me when I took my Element in because 2 of the sensor's batteries had run out that newer vehicles don't have the internal sensors anymore but use the traction control sensors to determine air pressure. So do the stock tires in the JL have internal sensors? I'd like to try out the JK tires on the JL and see how it looks/drives with the bigger tires.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@nerubi
@Jeep4Life0112

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@nerubi
@Jeep4Life0112

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

Thanks. Guess moving the wheels/tires from the JK to the JL would give me the same TPMS error.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
JL has a different part # for the TPMS than the JK. I believe the Jl's # is 68406537AA if interested.

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored