Sponsored

Tires recommendation to drive on Alaska highway.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

We just did the trip last August. We left from Colorado and drove to Alaska and back. Did a lot of back country camping. We were gone 23 days and covered about 9k miles. We ran cooper at3 XLT in 37" tires. We did not have a single problem. We didn't go all the way to pruhdoe bay but made it up and over atigun pass to toolik lake. Plus alot of other Backcountry traveling to include Roosevelt lake on the Denali highway, McCarthy, etc. Tires are still in good shape and still on the jeep. We just had the one spare plus tire plugs etc. We never carried any extra diesel either. The whole trip we avg about 22mpg. Feel free to dm me or post questions if you have any or want any ideas or help.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires recommendation to drive on Alaska highway. IMG_20220807_183738_455

Coming down Atigun pass.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires recommendation to drive on Alaska highway. IMG_20220804_193214_335

Denali highway.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tires recommendation to drive on Alaska highway. PXL_20220801_060345674.MP

Seward,Ak

Last edited:

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I don't have any tire recommendations David. I just went with what was stock on the Expedition and didn't have any problems. I would suggest picking up a copy of The Milepost guidebook well in advance of leaving. It's absolutely full of information about food stops, lodging, gasoline stops, and points of interest.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I hope distances between gas stops are less than 300 miles, which I won’t worry about external gas cans.
Start planning now, if someone has an itinerary to follow, that would be wonderful.
It’s been a few years but gas stations tend to be scarce and somewhat “erratic”. Nothing quite like planning on fueling at a station when you’re close to empty only to find that particular station is inexplicably “closed” and the next one is 75 mile down the pike😳. Lesson learned, when you see an open station on the AK highway, buy fuel. I don’t care if you’re still at half a tank, buy fuel anyway. You’ll thank me later.

Sponsored

OP
OP
minid

minid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
We just did the trip last August. We left from Colorado and drove to Alaska and back. Did a lot of back country camping. We were gone 23 days and covered about 9k miles. We ran cooper at3 XLT in 37" tires. We did not have a single problem. We didn't go all the way to pruhdoe bay but made it up and over atigun pass to toolik lake. Plus alot of other Backcountry traveling to include Roosevelt lake on the Denali highway, McCarthy, etc. Tires are still in good shape and still on the jeep. We just had the one spare plus tire plugs etc. We never carried any extra diesel either. The whole trip we avg about 22mpg. Feel free to dm me or post questions if you have any or want any ideas or help.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires recommendation to drive on Alaska highway. PXL_20220801_060345674.MP

Coming down Atigun pass.

Denali highway.

Seward,Ak
Nice setup. I don't have a RTT. I go with a minimist approach, which use a Japanese style tatami mat as the base to formulate the bed in the back after removing the 2nd role seat. every easy and straight forward setup. put water container below the platform of the 2nd role seat. Carry a 1000W Ecoflow battery, and Iceco GO20 Fridge. Use underbed storage box as insert next to the support frame to store clothes. and cooking stuff and some tools can put into a storage mounted on the roof rack. When sleep, move the Fridge to the front seat. Otherwise, the back of the jeep is my lounge area for two people if not go out side. This setup is perfect for me for a weekend leisure or offroad camping trip. I am a little concerned about a long distance trip.

Reactions: J0E

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Nice setup. I don't have a RTT. I go with a minimist approach, which use a Japanese style tatami mat as the base to formulate the bed in the back after removing the 2nd role seat. every easy and straight forward setup. put water container below the platform of the 2nd role seat. Carry a 1000W Ecoflow battery, and Iceco GO20 Fridge. Use underbed storage box as insert next to the support frame to store clothes. and cooking stuff and some tools can put into a storage mounted on the roof rack. When sleep, move the Fridge to the front seat. Otherwise, the back of the jeep is my lounge area for two people if not go out side. This setup is perfect for me for a weekend leisure or offroad camping trip. I am a little concerned about a long distance trip.
Thanks, sounds like a nice setup. Even in august we hit snow, rain, and temps in the 30's and 40's. I'd suggest having an awning or tarp for some shelter when it rains etc so you have a dry place to hang out and cook etc. We run an iceco jp50 hard wired into the jeep. We hit a grocery store every 4-5 days and just planned out meals from there. We had plenty of snacks and easy meals. We made good dinners every night.

OP
OP
minid

minid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Thanks, sounds like a nice setup. Even in august we hit snow, rain, and temps in the 30's and 40's. I'd suggest having an awning or tarp for some shelter when it rains etc so you have a dry place to hang out and cook etc. We run an iceco jp50 hard wired into the jeep. We hit a grocery store every 4-5 days and just planned out meals from there. We had plenty of snacks and easy meals. We made good dinners every night.
I have a 12V heated blanket under the sleeping bag, it serves the needs I hope. In late August, do you able see the northern light in Fairbank or northern territories? I was at Anchorage early March couple of years ago, but no luck to view the northern light.
I already have awning and a tent to attach to the tailgate. (although, kinda lazy, I don't use the tailgate tent often, put a folding table and two chairs under the awning area would good enough for cooking and relaxing.
My Iceco is much smaller, so I guess I will have to go grocery more often and carry a lot of cup noddle or dry snakes. Love Alaska Salmon Jerky.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I have a 12V heated blanket under the sleeping bag, it serves the needs I hope. In late August, do you able see the northern light in Fairbank or northern territories? I was at Anchorage early March couple of years ago, but no luck to view the northern light.
I already have awning and a tent to attach to the tailgate. (although, kinda lazy, I don't use the tailgate tent often, put a folding table and two chairs under the awning area would good enough for cooking and relaxing.
My Iceco is much smaller, so I guess I will have to go grocery more often and carry a lot of cup noddle or dry snakes. Love Alaska Salmon Jerky.
The northern lights are a possibility depending on cloud cover. We never saw them because of the cloud cover. You're set up. You'll be fine. You don't need a lot to make the trip and have a blast. Most people always put trips off saying after I get this or that I'll go. Don't wait just go, life's to short. We are already looking forward to planning another trip back north. This was my second trip north and my wife's first. I went in 2017 on my ktm adv bike. I was gone 28 days and camped the whole trip. It was a blast to say the least. We did a lot of back country riding then too.

OP
OP
minid

minid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
The northern lights are a possibility depending on cloud cover. We never saw them because of the cloud cover. You're set up. You'll be fine. You don't need a lot to make the trip and have a blast. Most people always put trips off saying after I get this or that I'll go. Don't wait just go, life's to short. We are already looking forward to planning another trip back north. This was my second trip north and my wife's first. I went in 2017 on my ktm adv bike. I was gone 28 days and camped the whole trip. It was a blast to say the least. We did a lot of back country riding then too.
👍👍👍

Sponsored

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Well, I would suggest better tires & on 17" wheels. Those that mentioned getting some Rubicon take offs or steel wheels & good ATs, is some dang good advice. The AK Highway (Dalton) is not that bad, going up to Dead Horse (Prudhoe Bay) can be rough, but not too bad on tires. You can't really get to the Arctic Ocean here though, you have to take a bus to just "see it".
The Dempster Highway in Canada can be really rough & having the better tires will come in handy for sure. You can take it all the way to Tuktoyaktuk (Tuk for short), camp next to the Arctic ocean & go for a dip if you want.

But, in late August & first 2 weeks in September everything in AK is starting to close down for the winter (I would assume that Canada/NWT might be the same way). When the snow comes, it hits hard! So, some stations may not be open, so you might want to make sure you have that extra fuel & as mentioned, whether in AK or NWT, you better gas up when you see an open gas station, no matter what your fuel levels are.

Both trips up are amazing, lots of vids on YouTube. Definitely something I'm going to do in my JLUR & I can't wait. Have been to AK & it is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to Jeep it & go to Tuk as well. Not as much fun as the straight up drive in a rented Taco. But, I was in AK to fish not explore.

As mentioned take LOTS of pics & post them up here. I wish you the best, be careful & stay safe!

:like:

OP
OP
minid

minid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Well, I would suggest better tires & on 17" wheels. Those that mentioned getting some Rubicon take offs or steel wheels & good ATs, is some dang good advice. The AK Highway (Dalton) is not that bad, going up to Dead Horse (Prudhoe Bay) can be rough, but not too bad on tires. You can't really get to the Arctic Ocean here though, you have to take a bus to just "see it".
The Dempster Highway in Canada can be really rough & having the better tires will come in handy for sure. You can take it all the way to Tuktoyaktuk (Tuk for short), camp next to the Arctic ocean & go for a dip if you want.

But, in late August & first 2 weeks in September everything in AK is starting to close down for the winter. Some stations may not be open, so you might want to make sure you have that extra fuel & as mentioned, whether in AK or NWT, you better gas up when you see an open gas station, no matter what your fuel levels are.

Both trips up look amazing, lots of vids on YouTube. Definitely something I'm going to do in my JLUR & I can't wait. Have been to AK & it is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to Jeep it & go to Tuk as well.

As mentioned take LOTS of pics & post them up here. I wish you the best, be careful & stay safe!

:like:
👍👌, got it, thanks. Might start in early June and catch the longest day at Tuk June 28th.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
👍👌, got it, thanks. Might start in early June and catch the longest day at Tuk June 28th.
Yeah, the last we were in AK was end of August, first of September, & a lot of places, especially restaurants, were closed or closing. Probably better/best to see the Aurora Borealis then. But, just need to be prepared if things are closed & the snow sets in.

HAVE FUN!

Deleted member 59498

Northern Lights are very unlikely. It is still mostly daylight in August. Doesn't start snowing in most areas until mid to late October.

OP
OP
minid

minid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Northern Lights are very unlikely. It is still mostly daylight in August. Doesn't start snowing in most areas until mid to late October.
Yeah, this is a summer trip.. for northern light, which I want to do another later fall or early spring trip to fairbank again in later time.
Sponsored