Tires on a wrangler Willys

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
I saw a post in another forum and from what I gather, some 2022 Willy's wranglers are being delivered with black wall bf Goodrich tires instead of the white lettered Firestones.
I'd actually prefer no white letters. I probably wouldn't go so far as to have them re mounted, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to know ahead of time what tires are on my build?
I can view the window sticker now, but I only see the rims specified, not tires. Supposed to be delivered by July 6, so I'm just a little excited ;)
Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
With the current times and supply chain issues.....it’s really anyone’s guess as to how it will be equipped.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
I wish mine came with the BFG's.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Where are you getting this info?
That’s how they’ve been delivered for quite some time now. They all used to get Firestones in 2020.

Willys Sport (the base model) gets blackwall BFG KM2s

Willys (the one with power windows and locks, etc) gets OWL Firestone MT2s.

Both are 255/75/17C.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
2021 Willys purchased on 2/5/2021. Came with the white lettered Firestone Destination M/T tires.

Hated 'em. Worst darn tire for offroading in this part of the world. Changed them out within a month of the purchase date.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires on a wrangler Willys 20210212_122554

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires on a wrangler Willys 20210304_104806

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
I honestly would have thought/wished the tires would be the other way around. The Firestones are one of the worst tires on and off road after you put some miles on them. They do not have a good reputation either.

The BFG's are more expensive, get better reviews and are highly regarded in the off road community. This is what should have came on the Willys and the Willys Sport gets the Firestones.

I also changed mine out within 45 miles with BFG's.

KevinC

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
2021 Willys purchased on 2/5/2021. Came with the white lettered Firestone Destination M/T tires.

Hated 'em. Worst darn tire for offroading in this part of the world. Changed them out within a month of the purchase date.

20210212_122554.jpg

20210304_104806.jpg
Arizona? A good MT should work nice out there, no? No mud but the big lugs absolutely help grab obstacles. Certainly more grabby than an AT, but I don't know the Destination MT in particular. My group's KM3s, Falkens, and Patagonia MTs do wonders on all the difficult southwest USA trails.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Arizona? A good MT should work nice out there, no? No mud but the big lugs absolutely help grab obstacles. Certainly more grabby than an AT, but I don't know the Destination MT in particular. My group's KM3s, Falkens, and Patagonia MTs do wonders on all the difficult southwest USA trails.
Not bad on rock but much slippier on them due to the hard rubber lugs with no siping.

In deep sand, such as all the washes we drive through here, they just dig down into the sand vs. track over it.

Really, they are not that great for the conditions here.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99tj 21 2dr willys sport, 22 4dr willys sport XR
I honestly would have thought/wished the tires would be the other way around. The Firestones are one of the worst tires on and off road after you put some miles on them. They do not have a good reputation either.

The BFG's are more expensive, get better reviews and are highly regarded in the off road community. This is what should have came on the Willys and the Willys Sport gets the Firestones.

I also changed mine out within 45 miles with BFG's.

KevinC
Why do you think it should of been the other way around? Sport model with less frills is more made to off road. That's why Jeep gave it the better off road tire.

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
I find it weird with the Willy's is the sweet spot in terms of being a value-for-money trim. If its considered a Rubicon Lite, why is it the only trim to get MTs from the factory? There are so many good ATs that Jeep could have slapped on, if not the same BFG KO2s.

Me personally, I will run the Firestones on my Willys till they wear out and then go the route of KO2s.
That may change if I find a set of 5 being sold off of a Rubicon for a good price!!!

I love the OWL style more than all black.
Sponsored

Last edited: