Sponsored

Tires humming after dealer rotation.

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
Hey everyone. I recently had my 2019 JLU Sport S in for an oil change/tire rotation at the dealer I bought it from. They have been working with me since I bought the Jeep and immediately had issues. I’m confident that they are an adequate service shop. That said, I have noticed lately a humming noise at speed, most notably around 25-40 mph (because highway drowns out everything else) and I’m wondering if it’s something like cupping on the tires? They are stock. To my untrained eye, I cannot see any physical signs of cupping or feathering. The tires have been rotated every 5k miles and that includes adding in the 5th wheel. I feel like I shouldn’t be having this type of issue considering its only 19 months and 17k miles old, on stock tires.

I‘m going to bring it back to the dealer, but my concern isn’t just the tires themselves, which I imagine they would tell me will either correct themselves (they are getting louder actually) or tell me to replace them? I have plans to upgrade to 33s this Winter, but I’m more concerned with an underlying problem that will do the same to very new, very expensive tires.

Have any of you run into this issue? If it’s not cupping... what the heck could it be?
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Factory tires are typically not created equally to aftermarket tires. 17k miles on them though is a little bit low. Did they give you a measurement of the tires? Should be x/32nd.

It is normal to hear or feel a slight difference right after a tire rotation. See what your dealer says and if you aren't satisfied with their response, I would check with a dedicated tire shop.

OP
OP
MeanPeachMojito

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
Factory tires are typically not created equally to aftermarket tires. 17k miles on them though is a little bit low. Did they give you a measurement of the tires? Should be x/32nd.

It is normal to hear or feel a slight difference right after a tire rotation. See what your dealer says and if you aren't satisfied with their response, I would check with a dedicated tire shop.
Good idea. I didn’t think to check the print out on my receipt. This time it’s says “8” for all 4 tires. The previous visit for a rotation was in February when it read “9,9,10,9”. All green boxes for the abnormal wear pattern of tires category each visit. The “check brake linings” reads as 5,5,7,7 this go-round vs. 8s across the board in Feb. But I expect brakes to wear.
Sponsored