Tires and rotation

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
im new to owning a wrangler and having a full size spare tire on the back. Do most of you rotate it in with the 4 on the Jeep? We have the stock AT that came with the upgraded wheels and they seem great on the road, anyone have any idea how long the tread should last?

What is the length of time dry rot takes to really make your spare unusable?
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely rotate your spare in. I'm not sure of the tread wear on your particular tires, but you should be able to find that data by going to a website such as TireRack, then entering your tire brand/specs. Rotating the 5th one in will extend your tread wear.

You can prevent tire rot of the spare by cleaning it when you clean your Jeep, and also by treating it from time to time with something like Aerospace 303 Protectant. It's what I used on our boat, and all of my past Jeeps, to protect the non-metal parts.

Congrats on purchasing your new Wrangler and welcome to the group!

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
im new to owning a wrangler and having a full size spare tire on the back. Do most of you rotate it in with the 4 on the Jeep? We have the stock AT that came with the upgraded wheels and they seem great on the road, anyone have any idea how long the tread should last?

What is the length of time dry rot takes to really make your spare unusable?
I rotate my Jeep spares every 5K miles and get more tread life. All five tires are exposed to the elements, so this should be a nonissue. If you don’t rotate the spare and need it after say 30K miles, your other four tires may be enough of a smaller circumference that it could impact how the Jeep drives or even damage it. Not likely but you want to keep them even IMO.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
There are a ton of these diagrams online, but here is one example if you do it yourself.

Rotating Tires | Proper Tire Rotation Patterns | Discount Tire Direct
https://goo.gl/images/FPV5q6

Firestone charges me $10 at my oil change so it’s worth it to avoid breaking out the floor jack. To answer your question on tire life, it all depends on driving and how much you want to push it but 30-40K miles at least I would think. My stock tires usually last 200 miles or less before I “need” a new set.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I do it for one simple reason: it makes the job easier. With the spare in the mix, you only ever have to raise one corner at a time. Super simple with a floor jack and solid axels!

I use this method (picture taken from another thread on this forum.)

Also, when it’s eventually time for new tires, my spare will match whatever I choose. (But will also sting the wallet a bit.)

upload_2018-9-9_9-29-9.jpeg

Don’t forget that the spare has different torque specs! If you don’t have a 1/2” drive torque wrench, grab one from Tekton for cheap.

upload_2018-9-9_9-33-5.png

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The cross rotation method described in the owner's manual is the appropriate method. However I have found that if you just rotate in a circular fashion every other oil change you will get the same life out of your tires and it's easier to do in the driveway at home and it's also easier to keep up with.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I do it for one simple reason: it makes the job easier. With the spare in the mix, you only ever have to raise one corner at a time. Super simple with a floor jack and solid axels!

I use this method (picture taken from another thread on this forum.)

Also, when it’s eventually time for new tires, my spare will match whatever I choose. (But will also sting the wallet a bit.)

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires and rotation upload_2018-9-9_9-33-5

Don’t forget that the spare has different torque specs! If you don’t have a 1/2” drive torque wrench, grab one from Tekton for cheap.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tires and rotation upload_2018-9-9_9-33-5
This. Every 5,000 miles. Use a torque wrench on the lugs. 120 ft/lbs.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Definitely rotate your spare in. I'm not sure of the tread wear on your particular tires, but you should be able to find that data by going to a website such as TireRack, then entering your tire brand/specs. Rotating the 5th one in will extend your tread wear.

You can prevent tire rot of the spare by cleaning it when you clean your Jeep, and also by treating it from time to time with something like Aerospace 303 Protectant. It's what I used on our boat, and all of my past Jeeps, to protect the non-metal parts.

Congrats on purchasing your new Wrangler and welcome to the group!
/thread
Sponsored