Sponsored

Tire & wheel upgrade on 18 JLU Sport S with 6sp (Don't know what I don't know)

sandman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
First time post so please be gentle! :)

For my daily driver, I picked up this used 18 JLU Sport S with a 6sp manual, 3:45 gears, and Dana 44 anti-spin differential rear axle. No lift. Currently has 7.5x18 take-off JK rims on it with 255 70 18 tires. I like the look of the rims so would prefer to keep those but am willing to swap those out if it gets me a larger tire without regearing.

Here's my question...Can I go with 35's without having to regear and without seeing a significant decrease in fuel economy? If not, I'm thinking I'd upgrade to the largest 33 (285 70 18) I could get without having to swap out my rims. I'm assuming no regearing at all for 33's. Correct? I will be adding 1.5" or 1.75" Spidertrax spacers either way. Am I missing something?

Don't know if the 6sp manual complicates anything related to gearing and tire size.

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Want to give it a beefier stance but not wanting to do a lift for mobility purposes. LIving where I do, I wouldn't be doing any crawling or significant off-roading, just mostly logging roads/trails a few times a year.

And yes, Jeeps rock in the snow! :)

Any pictures of similar rigs would be super helpful! Thanks in advance!

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire & wheel upgrade on 18 JLU Sport S with 6sp (Don't know what I don't know) jee
Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
If you don’t want to regear I wouldn’t go above 33’s with the manual. Most of the forum members who went to 35’s lost 6th gear. As far as gas mileage I would think a manual gets better than auto. I have 35’s on an auto and get 16 city and 19 highway.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You can go 275/70r18 at 33.2". The problem with 18" wheels is that nearly all tire sizes above 32" are load range E.

I think if you go too far above 33", you won't like how much clutch slip the 3.45 gears will want to get going and 6th will become useless.

sleeman24

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Welcome!

I had the same dilemma as you, as I also drive a manual Sahara. I decided to go with Rubicon take-off suspension and wheels (got a good deal and installed it all myself) I rarely, if ever, use 6th gear anymore. She struggles on the slightest incline on the highway so I generally leave it in 5th. I didn't lose too much in MPG and didn't need a spare tire relocation kit. For me this is the best balance of practical and style, but everyone is different.

Oh and if you like the Jeep in the snow, you'll love the KO2s.

jeep.jpg

OP
OP
sandman2

sandman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
If you don’t want to regear I wouldn’t go above 33’s with the manual. Most of the forum members who went to 35’s lost 6th gear. As far as gas mileage I would think a manual gets better than auto. I have 35’s on an auto and get 16 city and 19 highway.
Thx! As it is, 6th gear is already pointless unless wind at your back and flat roads with no inclines.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sandman2

sandman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
You can go 275/70r18 at 33.2". The problem with 18" wheels is that nearly all tire sizes above 32" are load range E.

I think if you go too far above 33", you won't like how much clutch slip the 3.45 gears will want to get going and 6th will become useless.
Thank you! Was looking into what E load range is. What is the problem with that? Doesn't that pretty much just mean it's a LT tire?

OP
OP
sandman2

sandman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Welcome!

I had the same dilemma as you, as I also drive a manual Sahara. I decided to go with Rubicon take-off suspension and wheels (got a good deal and installed it all myself) I rarely, if ever, use 6th gear anymore. She struggles on the slightest incline on the highway so I generally leave it in 5th. I didn't lose too much in MPG and didn't need a spare tire relocation kit. For me this is the best balance of practical and style, but everyone is different.

Oh and if you like the Jeep in the snow, you'll love the KO2s.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire & wheel upgrade on 18 JLU Sport S with 6sp (Don't know what I don't know) jee
Thank you very much. Very nice set up you have! Do you have a lift on that or is that stock with your rubicon take offs? What size tires ya got? Really like that stance!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have 35s with the manual trans and 3.45 gears, no problem. Yes, 6th gear is useless but was almost useless before, as you said. You would need wheel spacers and, although a lot of people do it, the 12.5 inch width of 35s are usually not approved for the stock 7.5" width wheels.

However, without a lift I would not go past 33s.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2/1” lift now but here is my JLU on 18x9 0 offset 295/70 r18 (34x11.5) on the stock suspension. Could have left it that way but it’s a Jeep so I can’t stop adding stuff lol.
My Jeep is a 3.6 auto and i really didn’t notice the tire change outside of the look.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire & wheel upgrade on 18 JLU Sport S with 6sp (Don't know what I don't know) E1DC04EC-A637-4860-B427-9F228B64046F

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire & wheel upgrade on 18 JLU Sport S with 6sp (Don't know what I don't know) B91B7749-1CA9-45C4-8A5B-C0D9188A158B

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Load range E is the weight rating. LT tires start at LR C and go up from there. LR E is what 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have. They have thicker sidewalls and tread and usually a different rubber compound. The ride is somewhat to significantly more harsh on a Jeep depending on which tire you choose.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I ran 35s with my 6sp and 3.45s for about a year. I rarely got out of 4th gear and it was pretty sluggish on acceleration. Mpg were in the 16-17 range.

Just regeared to 4.56 and love it. 1st is a little short but I can be in 6th hitting incline and not need to downshift. Cruise at 70mph at ~2200rpm. With the limited driving I’ve done recently, it looks like I will get back 1-2 mpg.

To avoid a regear, 33s is probably where you’ll want to be. I’m sure some people are fine with 35s and the 6sp, but I feel most will eventually want to regear after going that route.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
4.56-4.88 is a good choice for 35s with a 6 speed.

sleeman24

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Thank you very much. Very nice set up you have! Do you have a lift on that or is that stock with your rubicon take offs? What size tires ya got? Really like that stance!
Thanks, No lift, just Rubicon springs and shocks which added about 3/4 inch, and the tires are 285\70r17 BFG Ko2's
Sponsored