First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
How important is weight in your tire purchase decision? Since it's unsprung weight and rotating mass, does that influence your decision greatly?
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Not many people think this way. I've been flamed in the JK days for bringing up the topic.

People end up suggesting I put heavy gauge steel bumpers front and back, sliders plus top off with 37s. The same mutts then whine about how they're having poor acceleration and bad fuel economy.

Tire weight is a legit question. The problem is matching the tread pattern and weight and diameter and rims and road noise... too many variables.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It was important to me; I even made a spreadsheet to compare my aftermarket choices versus OEM.

I got a Sahara with 18" wheels, but I wanted 17" wheels and a wider tire (for beach and sand). I tried to keep the same overall diameter and weight. I don't need or want a lift, so I ended up getting light and very inexpensive wheels off eBay and 33" tires (lots of choices and easy local availability). The package is 8 pounds heavier than OEM Sahara wheels and tires. So, with a spare, I added 40 pounds and tons of style. :)

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've run BFG KM2s on my last two rigs. I was all set to try the new KM3s this time, but there's a long wait before they come back into stock. I like Toyo and Nitto mud terrains, but the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s look good as well. At 66lbs they're a good dozen pounds lighter than the others. [the Nittos are a porky 80lbs] Any thoughts folks?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I've run BFG KM2s on my last two rigs. I was all set to try the new KM3s this time, but there's a long wait before they come back into stock. I like Toyo and Nitto mud terrains, but the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s look good as well. At 66lbs they're a good dozen pounds lighter than the others. [the Nittos are a porky 80lbs] Any thoughts folks?
What size tires are you wanting to run? Might look at the Wrangler MTR, only 64lbs for the C-rated 35x12.5x17s
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...Wrangler+MT/R+with+Kevlar&partnum=525QR7WMTRK

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I've got the ATZ P3s, and they are really good tires all around, excellent in the desert.

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door with premium soft top
I just went with 34" instead of 35s and weight was a huge factor for me. My new Toyo A/T IIIs weigh in at only 59 pounds. I didn't wish to risk needing to re-gear for acceptable performance and I don't have enough real world experience as this is my first Jeep "build" to know for sure one way or the other. Rotational mass and basic inertia seem significant.
Even the cost of added weight on the tail gate was a consideration for me.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
My priorities on the tires:
1) Fits need/application
2) Weight
3) Cost

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I absolutely take into consideration tire weight. However, I also go for E load range for desert/rocky off-roading, so I know I'm not gonna get the lightest tire...

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Was important as well for me. I kept the stock Rubi wheels and installed 35" KO2's, which weigh just under 65 pounds each, could not be happier and zero need to re-gear. I thought about KM3's as this is not my daily driver but have had such good luck on and off road over the years with with BFG KO2's, I just stayed with them. Now just waiting for BFG to come out with KO3's...

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at the Cooper Evolution MT. 35x12.50R17 E rated weight is claimed to be 64lbs. I need to keep tire weight down since I went with heavy AEV Borah wheels with rash rings

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How important is weight in your tire purchase decision? Since it's unsprung weight and rotating mass, does that influence your decision greatly?
It did mine. I went with 315 KO2s, which IIRC were about 64lbs each. I think the Goodyear Duratrac in that size might have been 62. Those were the two lightest of the tires I considered. I´m also running the stock rims, which are also lighter than many aftermarket rims I considered. It is also less weight on the tailgate, which is a bonus.

Another consideration in addition to unsprung weight is wear and tear on suspension components. With heavier tires/rims and aftermarket rims having less backspacing, it can put more stress on the wheel bearings, too. It probably doesn´t make much difference, but I´ll take any advantage I can get and any reduction in the odds of breaking something, even if minute.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Very much a consideration. I'm tire shopping right now. I'm trying to get some 37's that are close to being true to size, and weigh less than 75 lbs each. My last Jeep was a 13 JK that I ran some 15's and lightweight Falken ATs on and it was a stellar combo.
Sponsored