Tire suggestions

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
I’m looking to get a new set of 5 tires around the end of the month once taxes come in as mine are wearing down to the point where I can feel more loss of traction in the wet. Im really considering 285 75 r17 KO2’s. I have a stock 2020 sport. Sadly with my work schedule I never get a chance to go wheeling and when I do go off the road it is small dirt roads and trails at best, so needing to flex isn’t an issue for me and my schedule isn’t gonna change for the foreseeable future due to severe staff shortages. The size is purely aesthetic for me at the moment. My main concern is no matter the weather, be it hurricane, blizzard or anything in between, I have to report to work so I need tires that can get me there well. I just thought I would ask for any suggestions and see what tires you all would recommend. I am trying to stay in the 2000ish range give or take for the set.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
KO2s are an easy choice. In my experience, most tire stores have a hard time getting them to balance well. Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws are highly regarded and were great on my XJ. I've had good luck with Toyo Open Country ATs, which balanced perfectly with little weight. I've had good luck with Yokohama and General tires too, but I haven't had any in the recent past.

Sounds like you will want to avoid aggressive MT type tires. Although there are some out there that are kind of a hybrid, like the new Mickey Thompsons, I have no experience with that brand though.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
KO2s are overkill for the dirt roads you describe and many report they underperform in rain/snow/ice. You say your main concern is getting to work in adverse conditions. That means an all season tire, except you do light trails too. So I'd get a lighter all terrain that is designed to handle weather, like the Yokohama Geolander G015 or the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, which have the three peak mountain snowflake rating. The Cooper doesn't come in 285/75 though.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Find some takeoff Rubicon KO2s. Too bad we aren't closer. I have a set of five on Rubi rims w/TPMS waiting to find a new owner. Should be able to find something near by you.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you're set on that 285/75 size the Toyo ATs are probably the best choice since they are a high tread life, low noise and a lightweight tire, also 3 peak snow rated. This tire is also Load Range C for a more comfortable & pliable tire, the only other in that size is the Nitto Ridge Grappler, but those will be heavier and I don't think they are 3 peak snow rated (but not sure on that)

Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have had good luck with the Maxxis RAZR AT... available in 70 series P or LT....285 70 17.

50K (LT) or 60K (P) mileage warranty and are M+S/Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) certified

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
If you‘re willing to look at 285/70-17 Falkens, that’s the stock size on the Rubicon. Most local craigslists are full of take-offs with very few miles. Pretty quiet, good in rain and snow, and FWIW most people think they look great. MT or AT, your choice, you should find both for sale easily

TamTam

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Earl Grey JLURXR
Occupation
Medically retired
I’m looking to get a new set of 5 tires around the end of the month once taxes come in as mine are wearing down to the point where I can feel more loss of traction in the wet. Im really considering 285 75 r17 KO2’s. I have a stock 2020 sport. Sadly with my work schedule I never get a chance to go wheeling and when I do go off the road it is small dirt roads and trails at best, so needing to flex isn’t an issue for me and my schedule isn’t gonna change for the foreseeable future due to severe staff shortages. The size is purely aesthetic for me at the moment. My main concern is no matter the weather, be it hurricane, blizzard or anything in between, I have to report to work so I need tires that can get me there well. I just thought I would ask for any suggestions and see what tires you all would recommend. I am trying to stay in the 2000ish range give or take for the set.
Hi there!
I can understand and use to relate to your situation of having to be able to report to work no matter the weather situation. I’m sorry your schedule is so tight that you don’t have much time to get off-roading, but even at that enjoy the little time that you get onto the small dirt roads and trails that you’re able to, something is better than nothing.

As far as tires go I’m recommending either the Toyo Open Country III’s which are an All-Terrain tire. I live in Colorado and I found that they handle all of the elements very well. Plus they’re a nice, quiet tire and they do well off-road also. My second tire, and in no particular order would be the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have those on my new 2023 Rubicon JLUXR and I’m very happy with them so far. They handle great in all of the elements and off-road as well. Like the Toyo’s they’re also quite on the road. The only reason I didn’t go with the Nitto’s again is bc I went with 37’s and they don’t go that high in the AT III’s.

I’m not sure if you already do, but I suggest that you do a five tire rotation also.

Pick whatever one is available or less affordable and enjoy! I’d love to hear what you decide to get and what you think of them!

Best of luck,
~Tammy

Last edited:

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Take a look at the Micky Thompson Baja Boss A/T. Three peak snow rated, I've found mine to be very good on wet roads (been raining non-stop lately), no louder on the highway - and ride much better than- than the stock Goodyears and look fantastic. Only been able to do some very lite wheeling since I put them on, but all the reviews rave about their off road chops.

A set of five (285/70 17) at discount tire cost me about $1,800 with mounting.

Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Yokohama Geolander G015. Mild AT tire, great road manners, great in snow, rain too.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Will likely be as nearly the number of opinions as members, but since you are considering K02's, I would say unless you find a good deal on a set of Rubicon take-offs, I would not pay full price for them.

As I have learned over the past 35K miles, a K02 is a great on-road tire--when they are new, but as miles and time are stacked on, I experienced:

On-Road (Good--when new):

- They will not stay balanced as they wear, more and more weight is needed to balance them and they do not stay balanced as long as other tires have.
- They begin to lose their grip in the rain and snow after about 20-25K miles. I had to drive from Denver to Colorado Springs during the last big snowstorm (speed was greatly reduced due to the conditions) and they are all over the place. They have a 3 peak snow rating, but they are not good in the snow on the highway and they will slide in the rain much faster than other tires.
- They are quiet; probably the quietest tire I have had except for Michelin LTX AT2's on my trucks.

Off-road (Jack of all trades and master of none--except maybe powdery snow):

- They work reasonably well in the snow, I have gone through really deep powdery snow and they handled it just fine.
- Loose, deep dry sand will typically find you close to stuck more often than not, wet sand is managed reasonably well.
- Thick clay based mud will find you stuck and flexing your winch muscles. The tread design does not clear sticky mud and you will find they become 4 slicks with zero grip in short order.
- Watery mud is cleared reasonably well, but they are no match for a true M/T.
- They handle rocks "ok", but they will slip and drag you out of your line on side angled inclines and declines.

Last edited:

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Got to @Discount Tire and get KO2s. I've run about a dozen sets over the many years and multiple vehicles.

Had one issue with one tire one time with sidewall cracking (bad rubber compound? Who knows why). @Discount Tire took excellent care of me, replaced all the tires, and I've never looked back. Hand additional sets since then with zero issues.

I can't say enough about how great of an operation they run at @Discount Tire and BF Goodrich tires are hands down the best on the market.

Good Luck!

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Toyo RT Trail hands down
Sponsored