Tire Shop says that a stock Rubicon can't fit 35s

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
I am about to purchase a new Rubicon 4xe from the dealership. I decided to go into my local America's Tire / Discount Tire store to see what they recommend for me with upgrading to a bigger size tire. The sales associate who helped me stated that I could not fit any bigger size tire onto the stock Rubicon wheels, and especially without getting a lift due to the fact that the tire would rub and could cause damage. Also stating that the stock wheels are too small width-wise for anything bigger, even went on saying that a 34s would rub too. His information is based on what their computer systems say.

I thought you could put a 35-inch size tire onto a stock Rubicon with no problem. Is what he is saying true? Like, I get the whole needing a lift thing. But I seriously thought that I could keep the stock wheels on the Jeep with no problems.

Maybe I should be just asking on here what size tire, lift, and new wheels should get for my new 4xe? Are 35s worth the small upgrade or should I just skip 35s and jump straight into 37s? I was planning on keeping the stock 33s on at first and seeing how far I can go with them while off-roading, but I thought since I would most likely upgrade anyways, might as well just do the upgrade right off of the bat and sell the brand new 33s to someone.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Maybe I should be just asking on here what size tire, lift, and new wheels should get for my new 4xe? Are 35s worth the small upgrade or should I just skip 35s and jump straight into 37s? I was planning on keeping the stock 33s on at first and seeing how far I can go with them while off-roading, but I thought since I would most likely upgrade anyways, might as well just do the upgrade right off of the bat and sell the brand new 33s to someone.
If you are 100% sure you will upgrade to a bigger size then yes. Do it as soon as possible and sell your 33inch tires. Theyll sell quick and for good money. your upgrade wont cost you as much.

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited and Gladiator
I am about to purchase a new Rubicon 4xe from the dealership. I decided to go into my local America's Tire / Discount Tire store to see what they recommend for me with upgrading to a bigger size tire. The sales associate who helped me stated that I could not fit any bigger size tire onto the stock Rubicon wheels, and especially without getting a lift due to the fact that the tire would rub and could cause damage. Also stating that the stock wheels are too small width-wise for anything bigger, even went on saying that a 34s would rub too. His information is based on what their computer systems say.

I thought you could put a 35-inch size tire onto a stock Rubicon with no problem. Is what he is saying true? Like, I get the whole needing a lift thing. But I seriously thought that I could keep the stock wheels on the Jeep with no problems.

I was going to do the same thing, stock wheels & suspension with 35in tires. The shop said they could do that but I would need wheel spacers. Many people run spacers but I don’t really like them so I will probably go with different wheels. The lift should not be an issue at all.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It's not about what fits on the vehicle, but the wheel, what the tire manufacturer recommends. If you want a 315mm tire, it's not recommended to put that on a 7.5" wheel.

Look at a tire on the BFG site: bfgoodrichtires.com. Look at the specs. It will say what size wheel is required ( Rim Width Range (Min/Max)8.00-11.00 ). Tire shops do not want the liability of mounting a tire on a wheel that is not recommended by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with if it will fit on the vehicle. BFG, Cooper, Nitto, etc., etc., all state what size wheels to use with each size tire.

Edited to add: this has been a "thing" for years. Shops used to do whatever the customer asked. Then, when the customer lost a bead they'd sue the shop or the tire manufacturer. The tire manufacturers said, well yeah you'd be an idiot to put a 12.5" wide tire on a 6" wheel, but someone did it so they had to make a rule to keep stupid people from doing stupid things. Now tire manufacturers will say put that width tire on this width wheel and if you want to do something different and die it's on whoever mounted the tire to the wheel. So, tire shops started saying, we aren't going to do stupid stuff just because the customers asks us to, we're going to rely on the tire manufacturer suggested/required wheel/tire combinations.

If you want to mount a 35" tire, mount a narrower one, not a 35x12.5 (315mm wide), but a 35x11 or something like that. If you look at the tire manufacturer specs, they'll fit on a 7.5" wheel.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I have 35's with no lift and everything works just fine. The tires are 12.5" wide, which is a bit wider than recommended for the stock rims, but I haven't had an issue. Even when aired down significantly. I do get a bit of rubbing on the factory liners in the rear at full flex, but it's nothing to be concerned about.

OP
OP
blueweb

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not about what fits on the vehicle, but the wheel, what the tire manufacturer recommends. If you want a 315mm tire, it's not recommended to put that on a 7.5" wheel.

Look at a tire on the BFG site: bfgoodrichtires.com. Look at the specs. It will say what size wheel is required ( Rim Width Range (Min/Max)8.00-11.00 ). Tire shops do not want the liability of mounting a tire on a wheel that is not recommended by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with if it will fit on the vehicle. BFG, Cooper, Nitto, etc., etc., all state what size wheels to use with each size tire.

Edited to add: this has been a "thing" for years. Shops used to do whatever the customer asked. Then, when the customer lost a bead they'd sue the shop or the tire manufacturer. The tire manufacturers said, well yeah you'd be an idiot to put a 12.5" wide tire on a 6" wheel, but someone did it so they had to make a rule to keep stupid people from doing stupid things. Now tire manufacturers will say put that width tire on this width wheel and if you want to do something different and die it's on whoever mounted the tire to the wheel. So, tire shops started saying, we aren't going to do stupid stuff just because the customers asks us to, we're going to rely on the tire manufacturer suggested/required wheel/tire combinations.

If you want to mount a 35" tire, mount a narrower one, not a 35x12.5 (315mm wide), but a 35x11 or something like that. If you look at the tire manufacturer specs, they'll fit on a 7.5" wheel.
I believe what you said is the exact reason why the sales rep said what he had to say. I just wanted to double-check and make before buying any tires. Thanks!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The sales reps have access to the tire information, not the vehicle plus all of the different combinations of lifts. So, the tire sales rep was looking at that tire, whatever you were asking about, and making sure the tire manufacturer recommended wheel widths matched your stock wheel width (not your stock vehicle height).

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
How can they say what will fit your wheels based on height? What will fit on your rims is determined by the width. You could run 37" pizza cutters and be fine or 31" crazy wide tires that wouldn't be safe.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It depends on the tire on what their system will say width wise.

My wheels and tires went on (by discount tire) the week before the lift. No rub on road with +19 offset, but I doubt you’d have any rubbing even with the stock 44.5.
Hell, tell him it’s lifted. The 4xe is 1” higher from the factory.

If you think you want 37s I’d make the jump now so you don’t regret it for 50k miles while you’re wearing out this set.

Here’s ours stock and with 35x12.50s before and after lift.

55EE0DCD-A497-47DC-B44A-C56015FF0437.jpeg

18160F98-E138-4439-81A3-8287E0E5BAA6.jpeg

5BF49F0E-8DE8-42DA-8346-FDBB5DB91B33.jpeg

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Oh, and if you are built after 6/5 make SURE they use your stock TPMS! Their aftermarket ones didn’t work (mid August) and I don’t think they’ve updated since.

OP
OP
blueweb

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on the tire on what their system will say width wise.

My wheels and tires went on (by discount tire) the week before the lift. No rub on road with +19 offset, but I doubt you’d have any rubbing even with the stock 44.5.
Hell, tell him it’s lifted. The 4xe is 1” higher from the factory.

If you think you want 37s I’d make the jump now so you don’t regret it for 50k miles while you’re wearing out this set.
From the looks of things you got a fine-looking 4xe on 35s with a lift, do you wish you had gone with 37s? It looks like your 4xe stance is great, not too tall/big but also not too small. How much of an MPG(e) difference did you notice by switching to 35s?

Can I know the exact lift and wheel brand (and size) that you got for your 4xe?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
From the looks of things you got a fine-looking 4xe on 35s with a lift, do you wish you had gone with 37s? It looks like your 4xe stance is great, not too tall/big but also not too small. How much of an MPG(e) difference did you notice by switching to 35s?

Can I know the exact lift and wheel brand (and size) that you got for your 4xe?
It’s my wife’s DD so she mandated the 35s, but now wishes she was taller, lol.

Can’t tell you on mpg, one because the hybrid tracker is completely dependent on how far your driving and two because it was on stock tires for three days. (FYI sold the stock wheels tires in 30 minutes on Facebook marketplace).

There are no spring lifts currently available that are specd for the 4xe and work. Mopar 2” will net you 1”, and Rock Krawler has a 3.5 but the rear springs aren’t in stock until mid November. You can roll the dice on a standard lift for now, expect less gain with the extra weight. Spacer lifts work and you can swap out springs later.

Our setup:

35x12.50R17 BFG KO2
17x8.5 Raceline Clutch +18mm
Teraflex 1.5” Perfomance Spacer (2”F/1.5”R)
Mopar Lift LCA, Sways, Bumps
Bilstein 5100 3-4.5” Lift
Rough Country adjustable track bars

Will likely move to the RK 3.5” springs and new front control arms when they’re available.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
The tire shop told me my sport couldn’t fit 285/70R17’s, and another shop flat out refused to put 265/70R17’s on my wife’s gladiator (same diameter but 20mm wider than stock) .........”just put them on”.

If the tire you want doesn’t show up in their system as an optional size for your trim, they will always default to “they won’t fit” for liability.
Sponsored