Sponsored

Tire Rotations: How often are you planning on doing them?

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
I was planning on doing it at every oil change, which seems to be around 8k miles if I go by what the Jeep says.

But while browsing YouTube to learn more about doing a 5 tire rotation, the video suggested doing 3k rotations on Cooper STT Pros.

I have the stock KO2s and now I'm thinking of doing a tire rotation now (at 4k miles) and another at the first oil change around 8k

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I was planning on doing it at every oil change, which seems to be around 8k miles if I go by what the Jeep says.

But while browsing YouTube to learn more about doing a 5 tire rotation, the video suggested doing 3k rotations on Cooper STT Pros.

I have the stock KO2s and now I'm thinking of doing a tire rotation now (at 4k miles) and another at the first oil change around 8k

What do you guys think?
I was interested in the same thing and spent some time Googling as well. Based on what all of the interweb authorities have said (read French Models :cwl:) I am going to go with 5000 miles on my KO2's.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I did every 4000 on my JK with the KM's and got very uniform wear on all of them.

I do it myself in my driveway so I know the spare is being included, and so its not a simple front to back swap. Being its free for me to do it, Im going to continue to do it every 4000.

Bic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Unlimited Sport S
I did every 5,000 miles on my JK with Duratracs and had very even tire wear.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I did every 4000 on my JK with the KM's and got very uniform wear on all of them.

I do it myself in my driveway so I know the spare is being included, and so its not a simple front to back swap. Being its free for me to do it, Im going to continue to do it every 4000.
What’s your process? I always tell myself I’ll do it myself when I change the oil, but then I chicken out. (Currently in a Yukon XL and the idea of that huge truck balancing on jack stands freaks me out.) I’m thinking it wouldn’t be too hard a job for my 2dr Wrangler.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
What’s your process? I always tell myself I’ll do it myself when I change the oil, but then I chicken out. (Currently in a Yukon XL and the idea of that huge truck balancing on jack stands freaks me out.) I’m thinking it wouldn’t be too hard a job for my 2dr Wrangler.
If you are doing a 5-tire rotation, you only have to jack up one wheel at a time.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If you are doing a 5-tire rotation, you only have to jack up one wheel at a time.
Hadn't thought of that. Makes sense to rotate in the spare since it's so accessible and has TPMS. Now I have an excuse to buy a new floor jack. Thanks!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hadn't thought of that. Makes sense to rotate in the spare since it's so accessible and has TPMS. Now I have an excuse to buy a new floor jack. Thanks!
Summary:
  1. Spare goes to right rear
  2. Right rear goes to right front
  3. Right front goes to left rear
  4. Left rear goes to left front
  5. Left front goes to spare
Detail:
  1. Remove spare tire
  2. Jack up right rear of vehicle
  3. Remove right rear tire
  4. Put spare tire on right rear of vehicle
  5. Lower right rear of vehicle
  6. Jack up right front of vehicle
  7. Remove front rear tire
  8. Put former right rear tire on front of vehicle
  9. Lower right front of vehicle
  10. Jack up left rear of vehicle
  11. Remove left rear tire
  12. Put former right front tire on left rear of vehicle
  13. Lower left rear of vehicle
  14. Jack up left front of vehicle
  15. Remove left front tire
  16. Put former left rear tire on left front of vehicle
  17. Lower left front of vehicle
  18. Put former left front tire on spare tire holder
  19. Torque all lug nuts to specified value

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you have a matching spare, just rotate all 5 in a clockwise pattern every time.

If you don't have a matching spare, you need to do the cross-rotation method. Rear tires go straight forward. Front tires cross, then go to the back.

I do mud tires every 5k and AT tires every 10k, depending on what I'm using. I have never had bad wear on my tires. A proper alignment is critical.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a matching spare, just rotate all 5 in a clockwise pattern every time.

If you don't have a matching spare, you need to do the cross-rotation method. Rear tires go straight forward. Front tires cross, then go to the back.

I do mud tires every 5k and AT tires every 10k, depending on what I'm using. I have never had bad wear on my tires. A proper alignment is critical.
60f470686e00e859c328fa4e02f4e87b.jpg

Might not matter what pattern you use, but you need to remember it and stick to it. :)

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
As long as you do it the same every time it doesn't really matter.

This is what I personally do:

Spare goes to LR
LR to RF
RF to LF
LF to RR
RR to spare

I did this with my JK and the Rubi KM's I had on it. I sold the JK when the KM's had 46,000mi on them. They all had even uniform wear, and a bit more than a 1/4" left at the center. I'd imagine I could have got around 55-60,000mi on them before hitting the wear tabs.

I also did my own alignments in my driveway too. Once every 20,000mi, or right after a hard wheeling trip. It's quite easy on a wrangler with its type of steering and ground clearance. All you need is basic hand tools and a tape measure. IIRC I had 1/2" or 3/4" toe in average between the front and rear of the front tires. (For instance, if the front gap between the tires were 46", the rear gap should be 46.5").

I don't remember the exact measurements, but I do remember doing the math to get the appropriate toe in angle. It will be different for each make/ model.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
I'm going to to it every time I change my oil or as needed if I notice uneven wear.

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
I'm going to to it every time I change my oil or as needed if I notice uneven wear.
And if you check the edges of your front BFG’s by running your finger both ways you will feel the edges starting to chop as early as 2000 miles! I was in the tire business for many years and if you feel some chopping on those fronts criss cross them to the rear so they roll in the opposite direction to true them selves up, you can just bring the rears up front and I never bother touching the spare.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
And if you check the edges of your front BFG’s by running your finger both ways you will feel the edges starting to chop as early as 2000 miles! I was in the tire business for many years and if you feel some chopping on those fronts criss cross them to the rear so they roll in the opposite direction to true them selves up, you can just bring the rears up front and I never bother touching the spare.
That's good advice, I'm running Cooper STTs though.