First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I can never understand the logic behind a four tire rotation. Especially here in AZ where the sun will fatally degrade the spare whether it's put to use or not.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I do a 5 tire rotation with every oil change, somewhere around every 600 miles. I got 100k miles out if my duratracs on my JK before I sold it and I believe my tire rotation schedule played a big role in that. It evens out the tire wear because they don't all wear the same.
Oil changes and tire rotation every 600 miles? The extra time and money involved with doing 10 times as many oil changes as are necessary would not only buy tires, but an engine replacement after 100,000 miles.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I have never used the spare in any of my cars when rotating. I regularly get ~ 75,000 miles of life.
Most other cars don’t have the spare living on the back to get sun cracked before any use. Add the fact that most jeep owners want the spare to match, both for aesthetics and function when needed, we always rotate all 5.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I rotate at 3K......MT's get chewed up faster and get noisy and rough riding. AT's might be fine at 5-6K but doesn't hurt to do earlier. I have 2 jacks and do it in the driveway so doing it earlier is not adding cost. If you do it earlier rebalancing is not always needed. if you go longer, chances of needing rebalancing is more likely.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Most other cars don’t have the spare living on the back to get sun cracked before any use. Add the fact that most jeep owners want the spare to match, both for aesthetics and function when needed, we always rotate all 5.
I noticed a bit of discoloration on my spare last year from the sun. Nothing bad but a slight yellowing on the top. Threw on a tire cover to prevent any further damage. This jeep owner does not care about the latter. It will function fine if and when I need it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I noticed a bit of discoloration on my spare last year from the sun. Nothing bad but a slight yellowing on the top. Threw on a tire cover to prevent any further damage. This jeep owner does not care about the latter. It will function fine if and when I need it.
I wouldn't care if I went with a stock size all terrain, but the 37" geolander x-mt's are too different in both appearance and function to leave the stock spare.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I wouldn't care if I went with a stock size all terrain, but the 37" geolander x-mt's are too different in both appearance and function to leave the stock spare.
I just have rubi-take offs on my Sahara. But yeah...I agree mismatched spares look wierd.

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
Oil changes and tire rotation every 600 miles? The extra time and money involved with doing 10 times as many oil changes as are necessary would not only buy tires, but an engine replacement after 100,000 miles.
That's a typo, was supposed to say 6000 miles. Its fixed.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
5 tire rotation with oil change every 3,000 miles. Just like I did with my previous 5 Jeeps over the last 25 years.

OP
OP
Archie PJ

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Thank y'all for your opinions;)
Sponsored